PDA

View Full Version : Improving the view from the cockpit



ViktorViktor
12-22-2007, 02:30 AM
Does anyone know how the quality of the view from the cockpit is determined ?

I notice that with some plane types the view from the cockpit is not clear because the simulated canopy glass/plastic seems to be of low quality or is dirty. That is, the view is less clear or darker for some plane types.

But what determines this ? Is it the skin ?

I was wondering if it would be possible to improve the view thru the canopy by modifying the plane skin itself.

If this is possible, is this considered hacking - (which is also cheating) ?

Pluto8742
12-22-2007, 02:44 AM
The muck on the canopy is not part of the skin and is set for each individual aircraft when it is modelled. Some seem to have Maddox "invisi-glass" and others have rather murky dark glass. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it. The P-51 is wearing sunglasses but other aircraft appear to have no glazing at all, including the He-111 which should be a mass of reflections because of that glass tunnel in front of the pilot.

I think that in real life, there would be a heck of a lot more reflections than we get in the game - at least under some lighting conditions. There would be little scratching for WWII aircraft because they weren't in service for very long. Overall, Lock On is much more realistic about reflections etc than IL-2.

As an example of reflections, here's a view from my Club Libelle. Of course, in real life we can focus at infinity and not on close-up reflections so they are not as distracting as you might fear.

Cheers,

P8.

Club Libelle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/RocketDog/DSC01759.jpg

Lock On
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/RocketDog/LockOn2007-02-2422-31-15-69.jpg

Xiolablu3
12-22-2007, 04:03 AM
This is one of the reasons I find teh Yak9 a b*tch to fight in.

The glass is too dark for me and I cannot see very well outside.

ViktorViktor
12-22-2007, 04:06 AM
Thx for the answer Pluto.

I wonder if real-life military aircraft today employ non-reflective canopies ? If F-16 pilots have to put up with the kind reflections you got with your Club Libelle, they're flying with a not-insignificant disadvantage.

carguy_
12-22-2007, 04:32 AM
Yes, it is considered cheating because it gives advantages others don`t have. Same as changing canopy types, weapons, view distance and so on. Anything that your opponent doesn`t have.

Pluto8742
12-22-2007, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by ViktorViktor:
Thx for the answer Pluto.

I wonder if real-life military aircraft today employ non-reflective canopies ? If F-16 pilots have to put up with the kind reflections you got with your Club Libelle, they're flying with a not-insignificant disadvantage.

I think all plastic blown canopies will be the same. In real life it's not as bad as it can look in pictures because the reflections are very close and most of the time your eyes are focussed at infinity. I'm often surprised how conspicuous the reflections are in pictures because I don't really notice them when I'm flying. Also it depends on the light. Strong sunlight is worst. Diffuse light under clouds reduces reflectiomns a lot because the cockpit interior isn't lit up so well.

I guess they are not modelled strongly in the game because they would be too distracting.

Cheers,

P8.

ElAurens
12-22-2007, 05:34 AM
Reflections also take a large bite out of your video card's processing power, another reason to have them toned down. Remember this game engine is what, 7 odd years old now? A GF4 Ti 4400 would have been a very hot vid card then.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LEBillfish
12-22-2007, 07:32 AM
IBTL........ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

MEGILE
12-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
Reflections also take a large bite out of your video card's processing power, another reason to have them toned down. Remember this game engine is what, 7 odd years old now? A GF4 Ti 4400 would have been a very hot vid card then.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Water=3 says lulz.


Bill:
IBTL........ Angry Blue Guy


Put the hard on away, there is no pusy here.

JG52Uther
12-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Just use cockpit off.Problem solved.

Bearcat99
12-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ViktorViktor:
Does anyone know how the quality of the view from the cockpit is determined ?

I notice that with some plane types the view from the cockpit is not clear because the simulated canopy glass/plastic seems to be of low quality or is dirty. That is, the view is less clear or darker for some plane types.

But what determines this ? Is it the skin ?

I was wondering if it would be possible to improve the view thru the canopy by modifying the plane skin itself.

If this is possible, is this considered hacking - (which is also cheating) ?

No that cannot be done from the skin folder. The canopy is not in the plane skin... I don't know where it is.. but I do know that whatever you do to the canopy on the skin folder is only exterior.. when you go inside the pit what you see comes from somewhere other than the plane skin that is in your skins folder. I dont know where tha6t is exactly.. but it isnt in the skin that is in the Paint Schemes folder.

And yes... modifying that would be technically cheating because it would change the stock cockpit of the sim.

na85
12-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
IBTL........ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

What's your problem with this thread and why would anyone lock it?

M_Gunz
12-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Rowan's MiG Alley Ace has really good cockpit glass effects and very good view system.
Ground not so good, objects not so good, FM not so good but then it ran for me on 300Mz
AMD K6-2 and Voodoo3 card -- not expecting so much as post-2000 PC's.

Bearcat99
12-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by na85:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEBillfish:
IBTL........ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

What's your problem with this thread and why would anyone lock it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because she probably thought erroneously as did some others perhaps that the poster was talking about a mod. Which in the current climate is not a far fetched notion. I inferred from his post that he was talking about whether or not the cockpit that you see in the skins folder is the same one you see when you are in the cockpit.. which it isnt..... it is however the same one you see when you look into the plane from an external view.

DuxCorvan
12-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Because she probably thought erroneously as did some others perhaps that the poster was talking about a mod.

He said it! He said the "word"! Blasphemy!
http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/jpgs/blasphem.jpg

LW_lcarp
12-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah she didnt read what the posters posted but what she wanted it to read.

BSS_Sniper
12-22-2007, 05:59 PM
The canopies of any plane I've flown in here seem to be too clear and clean as compared to any I've been in. I even clean mine prior to each flight and still there are bugs and other unknowns all over the outside after I take off. :\ Lockon has a decent representation of canopy glass.

Ratsack
12-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Jehovah! Jehovah!

Ratsack

Bearcat99
12-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by LW_lcarp:
Yeah she didnt read what the posters posted but what she wanted it to read.

She wasn't the only one.... so let's just not go there ok? I had to read the post twice to make sure of the poster's question myself.

na85
12-22-2007, 11:16 PM
It's sad that we've stopped giving people the benefit of the doubt, it seems.

Ratsack
12-23-2007, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LW_lcarp:
Yeah she didnt read what the posters posted but what she wanted it to read.

She wasn't the only one.... so let's just not go there ok? I had to read the post twice to make sure of the poster's question myself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're kidding, right?

Ratsack

Enthor1
12-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Paranoia strikes deep....

LEBillfish
12-23-2007, 09:46 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I would hope to never in my life be as transparent of intent then many here of late are tending to be....Take your own advice...."Get over it". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

T_O_A_D
12-23-2007, 11:50 AM
The canopy model is a strange thing in this game. You can have varing levels of transparancy, bullet holes, oilslick, etc. From inside, but go outside view and its pristine.

M_Gunz
12-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I would hope to never in my life be as transparent of intent then many here of late are tending to be....Take your own advice...."Get over it". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Yeah, on your self-recursive thread that got locked someone thought I was upset with you, at
least that's what I made of their reply to me -- how things get taken here is often shallow.

We should change UBI-Zoo to UBI-Zoobi (just cause it rhymes); tweet, growl, squawk.

heywooood
12-23-2007, 12:06 PM
yes - I am looking forward to 1c's BoB also...

seeing an external view of an e/a or one's own with a shattered canopy or with oil smears sliding up the windscreen should add to the realism hopefully...

modding the glass in Il2 to render as clear or nonexistant from the cockpit view on all aircraft as a patch might be cool for onliners in the interest of 'fair play' but personally, I like the variety - granted - I do not fly online so....

x6BL_Brando
12-23-2007, 12:41 PM
modding the glass in Il2 to render as clear or nonexistant from the cockpit view on all aircraft as a patch might be cool for onliners in the interest of 'fair play' but personally, I like the variety - granted - I do not fly online so....

To be honest, it makes no difference to on-line play. The effect becomes unnoticeable about 10 seconds after take-off - and makes no difference at all when the bugger is swimming in the centre of your sight-ring! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

B

DuxCorvan
12-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I hope that, in SoW, if I *casually* ram a chuter, there are blood splats in the canopy and intestines wave like a flag from my radio mast. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

na85
12-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
I hope that, in SoW, if I *casually* ram a chuter, there are blood splats in the canopy and intestines wave like a flag from my radio mast. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Lurch1962
12-23-2007, 05:31 PM
The way canopy reflections are rendered in IL2 should have little effect on frame rates. They're simply bitmapped textures with transparency, not ray-traced from a 3-D model. Some have less transparency than others, hence their more objectionable interference with the view outside.

And of course bullet holes, etc., are just more texture elements added on.

Lastly, the rendering of the canopy is handled completely differently for in-cockpit and external views.

I find the yellow stuff on the Hellcat's windows one of the more annoying textures.

Spinnetti
12-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Because she probably thought erroneously as did some others perhaps that the poster was talking about a mod.

He said it! He said the "word"! Blasphemy!
http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/jpgs/blasphem.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look. All I said was......

"This piece of Halibut is good enough for Jehovah"!

Ok, who threw the stone?

M_Gunz
12-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
I hope that, in SoW, if I *casually* ram a chuter, there are blood splats in the canopy and intestines wave like a flag from my radio mast. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

You know it's going to mess up your trim and you'll catch particular H from the crew chief later.