PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous online disconnects- any way to avoid them?

drose01
06-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Quite often, I will be playing on an online server and suddenly the connection signal bars on the upper right hand corner will start to extend to yellow and red and I am off the server.

Often this happens when my ping has been low, less than 100, for the entire time preceding the server kick.

My current connection is cable modem and it seems pretty reliable.

My questions are:

how often does this happen to others?

how can/is it possible to avoid it by adjusting settings?

drose01
06-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Quite often, I will be playing on an online server and suddenly the connection signal bars on the upper right hand corner will start to extend to yellow and red and I am off the server.

Often this happens when my ping has been low, less than 100, for the entire time preceding the server kick.

My current connection is cable modem and it seems pretty reliable.

My questions are:

how often does this happen to others?

how can/is it possible to avoid it by adjusting settings?

JunkoIfurita
06-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Various things can cause this, and it's not always just your end of the connection. If you're playing on a server overseas, etc, lagspikes can occur even if your starting ping is relatively low.

But, on the other hand Hyperlobby sets your 'network' settings in game by default to ISDN. You get the best, most stable performance on online servers if everyone sets their 'network' settings to 14.4 or 28.8. You have to do it in game, after you've connected (hit esc and go into network settings). I'm not sure why this works, it's something to do with the 'peer to peer' way that eveyone on the server updates everyone else.

Unfortunately, this is only totally reliable if everyone on the server makes sure they do it after they connect.

Best way to show how severe the difference is is in co-ops. My squad was running an online co-op, with everyone at the default of ISDN - our pings alternated between 300 and 3000 (there were approx 25 of us on the server)! We all changed our settings back to 14.4, and our pings dropped back to no higher than a comfortable 200.

----

HellToupee
06-01-2005, 09:27 PM
thats just when the host dosnt have enough bandwith to cater for that many people and their highspeed connections.

Iget ping kicked all the time from servers, usually because i spiked for a few seconds, especially if someones browsing on the other computer. Im usually 200-300 to international servers. Ping kicking tho is just quite lame, and no other game im aware of uses anything like it. hell ive even been kicked off local servers i ping under 100 to due to random spikes.