PDA

View Full Version : Question about manual targeting

newob42
04-08-2005, 05:06 PM
When you take all of your readings, range,aob, and speed,must you be all stop and 0 knots?and once you lock in your readings, do you have to take them again if you move?

newob42
04-08-2005, 05:06 PM
When you take all of your readings, range,aob, and speed,must you be all stop and 0 knots?and once you lock in your readings, do you have to take them again if you move?

blue_76
04-08-2005, 09:41 PM
the answer to both is no. generally you can get the speed of the ship its range and angle pretty quickly with practice so generally it won't matter if you are moving or at full stop. I would suggest you practice in the naval academy mission.. turn on your external view and event camera view and practice on the moving ships.. u will see that with enough practice you'll sink them without problems even if you're moving.

frolick7
04-09-2005, 03:30 AM
So am i the only 1 that has to stop to take a speed reading? If im moving when i check the speed, it says hes doing something stupid like 35kts in a C2 cargo!

con20or
04-09-2005, 03:35 AM
im not 100% sure about this but from my own experience and if you think about the maths of finding out the speed etc, its ok 2 be moving, but you cannot be turning, because that would make his bearing move alot quicker than it should. plus i think you have to remain at a constant speed.

Frederf220
04-09-2005, 03:36 AM
I believe the speed taking function of the notepad assumes constant range to target.

So motoring while taking this measurement, usually you are closing on it, thus the mistake? Yeah, I generally calc the speed of the vessel before get anywhere near it by plotting two or more sightings over a known time interval.