PDA

View Full Version : LCD question: Quality in NON-native resolution?

F19_Orheim
09-08-2007, 02:32 AM
hmm well I am too, as many other right now, thinking about getting a new LCD monitor (been looking at the Samsung 226BW) - this before I build a new rig upcoming winter/spring (split the costs in time - and slowly introducing new hardware for the Mrshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

I am concerned though how IL2 will look with my old rig. There is not a chance I can run IL2 with the same FPS as it runs now (1152x864) in native resolutions like 1650x1050.

So the questions:

a) Does the game look like **** if I use lower resolutions than the native and recommended one? (and thus, should I wait to get a new LCD monitor until the rig-update)

b)What is the difference concerning contrast ratio between 700:1 and DC 3000:1 (what does DC mean)?

Banger2004
09-08-2007, 05:15 AM
This may help, I have a Samsung 226BW run off of a Geforce 8800 320mb card, VERY happy with the monitor.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/Banger2004/Il-2%20Screenshots/1152864a.jpg
1152*864 res

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/Banger2004/Il-2%20Screenshots/1152864b.jpg
1152*684 res

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/Banger2004/Il-2%20Screenshots/16801050a.jpg
1680*1050 res

Not a huge difference between resolutions IMO, but the lower res is definitely softer (blurred), but I should think quite playable. The images in the cockpit etc are fine, although more slightly more 'stretched'. I think I could live with it.

I do not know where you are, but this might be another contender:

HANNS.G HW223DP

It has just recieved a good write up in the UK Custom PC mag. Comes with speakers (**** by all accounts), a 4-port usb hub (handy) and DVI in as well as D-sub.

I am as I have said, very happy with my Samsung, but this Hans is about 40-50 cheaper apparently.

I cannot remember offhand about the DC part I'm afraid.

F19_Orheim
09-08-2007, 05:19 AM
thanx al lot mate--- not sure if pictures in themselves are representative... it is how it is presented on a monitor that mattershttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

still - it is the blurriness I am concerned over.

Anyone else?

Banger2004
09-08-2007, 05:25 AM
All I can tell you is I get no motion blurr, colours are crisp and images sharp, at 1680*1050. Anything below that native res will appear less 'focussed', but how much that bothers you is your choice. However, I reckon you could get by at 1152*864 for a while, although bear in mind my AA and anti-aliasing is up around 8x IIRC.

F19_Orheim
09-08-2007, 05:39 AM
hmm well thanx mate... native res 1680x1050 is not an option... I guess 1152x864 is... I wish I knew how much this sense of "out of focus" affect gameplay, and of course strain on the eyes... hmmm appreciate the input.

someone else who use a lower res than the native one?

DKoor
09-08-2007, 06:13 AM
I have an Samsung 930BF it's good http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Bearcat99
09-08-2007, 06:17 AM
See this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7961007785). What kind of video card do you have?
I think you will be pleased... as for eyestrain.... compared to a CRT there is none.

F19_Orheim
09-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanx...

It's not the question about what kind of monitor I want. I already know which one to buy. The question is:

How much does the image worsen on a LCD when flying with less resolution than the native?

SeaVee
09-08-2007, 10:26 PM
I am a stickler for visual quality and if you are too I think you'll find playing at a non-native res is unnaceptable.

Just test this at a store and simply look at the difference in changing the desktop's resolution from native to non-native. Its a very noticeable difference IMHO. Since you are cognizant of the issue (the fact you posted this thread proves it) it will be very irritating when you play IL2 and see the blurriness in non-native res.

I would go ahead and get the monitor, play it at the native resolution but cut back on some of the eye candy in-game settings to keep it playable.

F19_Orheim
09-09-2007, 01:55 AM
Thanx SV...

I have tried the changing of resolutions at the store, and yes; it was a big difference but I was not sure how much this affected gamplay.

I AM also a stickler for visual quality, so yes; it is a big issue for me if it is too blurred. Also IL2 is pretty much the only game I play on my PC, so it is imperative that it looks good. Identification of planes at a long distance is very important to me, as I rarely fly servers with icons, and I gather that the bluriness makes it even harder.

Hmm looks like the LCD monitor just have to wait until I build the new rig... the dough goes into the piggy bag until then.

Thanx guys for taking the time helping me sort out this issue.

BaldieJr
09-09-2007, 02:50 AM
switching from crt to lcd is a moral imperative. crt's are waste.

believe me dude, you won't notice the difference in the game. and the money you save in power consumption will be money you can spend on beer.

F19_Orheim
09-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey Baldie.... still waiting for you to set up your server again.... chaika vs chaika is still the most fun I have hadhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ZappaTime
09-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Hmm.... I have a Dell 2407WFP-HC which has a native res of 1920x1200 and its surprisingly acceptable at lower resolutions, much to my surprise and joy, I wouldn't worry, the improvement in going to an LCD, especially wide screen more than makes up for any slight blurring at non native resolutions until you've upgraded. The Dell has been one of the best purchases I've made in a long time and I'm sure you'll love your Samsung just as much, just enjoy the wide screen immersion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-10-2007, 05:55 AM
Hi Orheim,

I have a Dell 2707WFp with a native res of 1920x1200 also and run it at 1680x1050 and things look simply amazing. Scaling down from native resolution and running at a lower one is different from monitor to monitor but the good ones scale just fine.

Before this one, I had a Samsung 204B (4:3 format) and while its native res was 1600x1200 I ran it at 1280x960 all the time. It too looked quite good.

I really don't think you'll have any problem running that monitor at non-native resolutions.

TB

Irish_Rogues
09-10-2007, 06:05 AM
My LCD looks awesome in native res and sort of blurry in any other. Funny thing though, when I was running Nvidia there were a couple different res I could run that looked about the same. My favorite was 1400 x 1050 I think as it was a in between the high and low. I can't do that with my ATI as the available res are different and the LCD doesn't really like them..

SeaVee
09-10-2007, 06:14 AM
Going slightly off the main topic, I have always been a proponent of putting a very large percentage of one's 'PC hardware gaming budget' into the largest possible monitor that one can afford - even if it means getting lesser components elsewhere.

Today's LCD monitors have a bulb lifespan in excess of 20,000 hours and are extremely reliable.

The monitor is the ONE part of your PC that you look at every time you use the PC, gaming or otherwise.

You may want to consider getting a '1080P' LCD TV for your PC. These have native resolutions of 1920X1080, are 16X9 format and have perhaps the largest 'bang for the buck' as far as sheer screen real estate size. That resolution is excellent and the gaming immersion factor on a super large monitor is incredible.

I have a 42' Westinghouse LVM-42w2 monitor and before that had a 37' Westinghosue LVM-37w1.

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=44

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=26

At 1920X1080 the resolution is sharp and crisp and I do not see a 'screen door effect' even when sitting at the 36"-42" distance my gaming chair is at.

Response rate is fine on both and I see absolutely ZERO ghosting even with fast moving scenes in IL2, BoB2, BF2, BF2142, Half-Life 2, FSX, or ANY PC game I have ever played on them. I often watch DVD movies in here too. Even when just browsing the net its nice to have 2 or three large windows up at the same time if I want.

Best Buy and now Sam's Club now carry the Westinghouse lineup and often during sales they run between $1,000 and $1,300. I know its a lot for a monitor but for the sheer size you get and number of years of entertainment you'll enjoy out of one of these its worth it.

Oh, if anyone does go this route on an LCD monitor solution, absolutely do NOT get a TV/Monitor that is LESS than TRUE 1080P (such as 720P). There is a VERY big and noticeable difference in resolution when PC gaming and the 'screen door effect' on the lower res models is very evident.

MaxMhz
09-10-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 740B LCD.

You will find 99.99% of Samsung owners are very pleased with their monitor. I'm no exception.
Even with a response time of 8ms I don't have any ghosting. You will have a little "banding" where large areas with a subtle colour change are concerned (sky e.g.) because LCD monitors only display 24 bit color, but it's not annoying (at least not to me). If you run in non-native mode you will have some bluryness too, but this is most noticeable in text display, not in-game.
If you go for a higher resolution monitor, make sure to get a "double lead" DVI cable to accomodate the higher bandwidth needed. Don't use a VGA connection. This will lead to more bluryness than non-native display on higher resolutions. The card converts it's digital sinal to analog, passes it over the VGA cable to the monitor where it needs to be resampled and converted to digital again resulting in a lot of problems. When I switched to LCD within 14 days I hated my old CRT - I could even see it 'flicker' on and off - very annoying. With an LCD you will have a lot less problems with high environment light too - It's no problem for me even if the sun is shining directly on my screen.

p1ngu666
09-10-2007, 08:42 AM
run a custom resolution for gods sake.

1400x1050, no resizing, letterboxing or whatever.. just 2 black bars left and right

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by MaxMhz:
I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 740B LCD.

You will find 99.99% of Samsung owners are very pleased with their monitor. I'm no exception.
Even with a response time of 8ms I don't have any ghosting. You will have a little "banding" where large areas with a subtle colour change are concerned (sky e.g.) because LCD monitors only display 24 bit color, but it's not annoying (at least not to me). If you run in non-native mode you will have some bluryness too, but this is most noticeable in text display, not in-game.
If you go for a higher resolution monitor, make sure to get a "double lead" DVI cable to accomodate the higher bandwidth needed. Don't use a VGA connection. This will lead to more bluryness than non-native display on higher resolutions. The card converts it's digital sinal to analog, passes it over the VGA cable to the monitor where it needs to be resampled and converted to digital again resulting in a lot of problems. When I switched to LCD within 14 days I hated my old CRT - I could even see it 'flicker' on and off - very annoying. With an LCD you will have a lot less problems with high environment light too - It's no problem for me even if the sun is shining directly on my screen.

I could not be more happy with my Samsung purchase. Its the only LCD that personally have owned and I settled on it only after I read over 200 customer reviews with a 5 star rating. I have owned it since last fall. You can see it here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001087 and you will notice that its priced extremely well. Make that leap to widescreen and I promise you will not be disappointed. LCDs always look better at their native resolution and with some tweaks you should have no problem running them with your current setup.

S!