PDA

View Full Version : cfs3 is not dead it has taken a step away from pf

raaaid
12-06-2004, 05:28 PM
cfs3 is supporting the new trackir 6dof and im afraid pf wont support it

it makes me think of the time i left the cfs series for the il2 series because cfs didnt have a mouse view

i wont change back to cfs but i still cant believe it

raaaid
12-06-2004, 05:28 PM
cfs3 is supporting the new trackir 6dof and im afraid pf wont support it

it makes me think of the time i left the cfs series for the il2 series because cfs didnt have a mouse view

i wont change back to cfs but i still cant believe it

actionhank1786
12-06-2004, 06:14 PM
CFS cockpits are made fully three demensional. So they can use the 6DOF thing.
Pacific Fighters and Il-2 use Cockpits that only have faces where you can see them, to help with frame rates and the like.
It's a smart move by oleg.
Seeing as if the 6DOF was implimented, everyone would whine and complain, because certain cockpits of the section aren't modelled right or something like that.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 06:19 PM
I think its a fair trade. The cockpits look much nicer than the ones in CFS3 and I think a large part of that is it takes less time and less resources to render the cockpits the way Oleg has decided to do it. CFS3 cockpits, even aftermakret addition cockpits, are fugly.

ucanfly
12-06-2004, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Realair Spitfire Mk XiV (for FS2004) in 6DOF though. That plane looks sweet and supposedly has fully clickable cockpit. FS2004 is right now the ultimate Flight sim IMO, while IL2 is the ultimate combat sim.

Lancer1347
12-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Personally I miss the interactive 2D cockpits. If they ever make whole island chains for maps, long range interactive 2D cockpits sure make it more fun.

Chivas
12-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Yes its too bad PF doesn't fully accept the new Vector technology fully. As an old fan of CFS1 and 2 I wouldn't fly CFS3, even if it had a full 3d virtual world helmut. There'd be just more **** to see.

Charlie_52ndVFW
12-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Wait till you see CFS3 with 6DOF... it freaking rocks.

oqvist
12-06-2004, 08:29 PM
6dof? Is that the code name for TrackIR 4 or what?

Tully__
12-06-2004, 08:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oqvist:
6dof? Is that the code name for TrackIR 4 or what? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's an expansion (officially named "Vector Expansion") for the TIR3 gear that allows control of head movement in addition to head attitude. See the demo videos here (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/video.html)

Recon_609IAP
12-06-2004, 08:43 PM
well, on the bright side, I saved $45 this Christmas!

Charlie_52ndVFW
12-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Sorry, I was using the term 6DOF as meaning all the different directions you can now move.

Yes, the official name is TrackIR Vector Expansion.

It works in 6DOF mode for games that have it implimented and 2DOF mode in all TrackIR enhanced game.

Note that 2DOF is NOT what you had before.... Its new too.

oqvist
12-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Yeah I searched like a maniac on the web when I heard of it yesterday and have it ordered already. I fly a lot of FS 2004 too so though I care tons if it works in PF it´s no must.

How do 2dof differ from normal trackIR operation?

JG27_Arklight
12-07-2004, 06:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
I think its a fair trade. The cockpits look much nicer than the ones in CFS3 and I think a large part of that is it takes less time and less resources to render the cockpits the way Oleg has decided to do it. CFS3 cockpits, even aftermakret addition cockpits, are fugly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You haven't seen the cockpits for the CFS3 "Firepower" Add-on have you?

And will I buy the Vector Expansion? Hell no!

I just bought TrackIR 3 Pro when I had a TrackIR 2 Pro. I love Track IR but I sure as hell am not paying close to $50 more for a **** clip, some software, and a lame *** hat (I would hate wearing a hat while playing a video game).

Asgeir_Strips
12-07-2004, 07:32 AM
with the 6dof trackir expansion, does that make PF capable with track ir?

Because i've seen a video of a guy flying PF with a track ir, or is it only capable with a few specified aircraft?

need help, because i may want to buy one for christmas

Charlie_52ndVFW
12-07-2004, 09:20 AM
TrackIR works fine in Pacific Fighters... it always has.

You can get just the TrackIR3 and use the dot-track method of view control.

Or you can get the TrackIR3 and Vector Expansion and use PF in 2DOF mode. 2DOF mode is much better than dot-track as Vector allows the TrackIR to determine what you are 'really' doing with your head instead of just playing 'follow the dot'.

dgaggi
12-07-2004, 10:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
I think its a fair trade. The cockpits look much nicer than the ones in CFS3 and I think a large part of that is it takes less time and less resources to render the cockpits the way Oleg has decided to do it. CFS3 cockpits, even aftermakret addition cockpits, are fugly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I beg to differ. At least the cockpit guages in CFS3 are actually usable. I think PF put the "Horse before the carrige". They seemed to have been more worried about the outside appearance first and the cockpit usuability second. A pilot needs to be able quickly get the information from his cockpit guages (airspeed,alt,AOA,etc.) in order to be successful(live). I realize that this is a sim, but other sims have done a better job in making their cockpits user friendly. Pretty airplanes/scenery are nice but where do you spend most of your time when you're flying? I think that PF fell short in this area.

PriK
12-07-2004, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:

I just bought TrackIR 3 Pro when I had a TrackIR 2 Pro. I love Track IR but I sure as hell am not paying close to $50 more for a **** clip, some software, and a lame *** hat (I would hate wearing a hat while playing a video game). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's probably the most nonsensensical post I've read. I'm almost glad you can't pay the extra $50 (the price of ONE game) for the new features and increased stability let alone all the other games Vector supports and will support in the near future.

SeaFireLIV
12-07-2004, 10:30 AM
I can`t see how this new Track IR thing could save CFS3... really. It needs more than that.

JG27_Arklight
12-07-2004, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PriK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:

I just bought TrackIR 3 Pro when I had a TrackIR 2 Pro. I love Track IR but I sure as hell am not paying close to $50 more for a **** clip, some software, and a lame *** hat (I would hate wearing a hat while playing a video game). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's probably the most nonsensensical post I've read. I'm almost glad you can't pay the extra $50 (the price of ONE game) for the new features and increased stability let alone all the other games Vector supports and will support in the near future. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I CAN buy it if I wanted too. I choose not to.

1. A $1 metal strip
2. A software upgrade
3. A Hat I won't wear.

= $50? I don't think so.

How's that for "sensical", Prik?

My post wasn't meant to be a definitive source of why you should or shouldn't buy it. To bad you read it that way.

And as far as being "able" to buy it, I am "more then able", so next time try not assuming.

Scen
12-07-2004, 11:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PriK:

That's probably the most nonsensensical post I've read. I'm almost glad you can't pay the extra $50 (the price of ONE game) for the new features and increased stability let alone all the other games Vector supports and will support in the near future. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I CAN buy it if I wanted too. I choose not to.

1. A $1 metal strip
2. A software upgrade
3. A Hat I won't wear.

= $50? I don't think so.

How's that for "sensical", Prik?

My post wasn't meant to be a definitive source of why you should or shouldn't buy it. To bad you read it that way.

And as far as being "able" to buy it, I am "more then able", so next time try not assuming. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whooaaaa

I'm glad you boiled down the cost of the whole expansion to about a buck...

I don't think you understand what the new software will add in terms of advancement. I'm sure part of the cost you left out was the development of the software.

Of course it's your choice not to make the purchase but it's obvious to me you haven't seen what it will do for the future of flight sims.

Go check out their site. The teaser video was very impressive IMO.

BTW I got my hat for free and as lame as it sounds it works great. It tracks really well.

Scendore

Charlie_52ndVFW
12-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Why the ego battle? Jesus.

NaturalPoint pulled SmartNAV programmers off of that program to get the TrackIR Vector Expansion completed. They have spent many months working on the math alone to get this to work correctly. Seeing as how you have only seen a picture, if even that, you wouldnt even know how well the clip is made and/or how much it would cost to produce. While it wouldnt take a million bucks, it is more than $1 I assure you.

If you want to kill the idea in your own head before you even try it or see a movie of it, fine. It is no skin off my back. But try to be more objective instead of creating rumors.

Charlie_52ndVFW
12-07-2004, 11:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oqvist:
Yeah I searched like a maniac on the web when I heard of it yesterday and have it ordered already. I fly a lot of FS 2004 too so though I care tons if it works in PF it´s no must.

How do 2dof differ from normal trackIR operation? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The preview on the site (click sig) tells the difference between the two.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
12-07-2004, 12:06 PM
HEHEHEHEH Hey seafire the new sig r0x0r0rs

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

darkhorizon11
12-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Yeah I like the way to cockpits are modeled they look gorgeous in FB. Especially the more recent ones for the Gladiator and the Ta-152 and the like I've caught myself drooling before.

The only beef with the cockpit system in the Maddox games is the lack of an interactive mouse button pushing option. MS flight sim and the old school Falcon 4.0 make this great. But then again the world doesn't revolve around me and my whines and I appreciate what we got so there! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

By the way I can't wait for the patch, I think I should wear a diaper everytime I come to the site and post or check updates cause some of em well... you get the picture.