PDA

View Full Version : "Combat or Pure" Flight Sim

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 12:49 AM
Pure flight sims are designed to mimic the real experience of flying as best as possible while Combat Flight Sims must trade off some realism to allow multi aircraft combat operations.

When choices are made by "The Team" concerning the patch's charictoristics, I hope the trade-offs fall toward multiplay combat action vs. hard core realism.

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 12:49 AM
Pure flight sims are designed to mimic the real experience of flying as best as possible while Combat Flight Sims must trade off some realism to allow multi aircraft combat operations.

When choices are made by "The Team" concerning the patch's charictoristics, I hope the trade-offs fall toward multiplay combat action vs. hard core realism.

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 12:57 AM
cc

S!
609IAP_Recon

Forgotten Wars Virtual War
Forum: http://fogwar.luftwaffe.net/forums/index.php
Visit 609IAP at http://takeoff.to/609IAP

http://www.leeboats.com/609/sig/609_recon3.jpg

Agnus Dei, Qui Tollis peccata mundi, Miserere nobis. Dona nobis pacem

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 03:43 AM
Agreed!

I see that every sim is like a restaurant meal.

How we rate a sim overall depends highly on how well we can use it. Every sim has highs and lows but the best have the features balanced. I think that is why EAW has had such a long run, playability and numbers of planes covered for the weaknesses in the DM and terrain that mattered less.

Neal

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 08:59 AM
I want/preefer HARD HARD VERY VERY HARDCORE realism !
Who don´t want it have CFS3!Who want it have IL-2 !

Yeah!

Ailantd

www.Ailantd.com (http://www.Ailantd.com)

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Scalable realism - that's what the settings are for surely /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ?

Shouldn't this be in GD?

JG5_UnKle

"Know and use all the capabilities of your airplane. If you don't sooner or later, somebody who does, will kick your ***"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/victoria.stevens/jg5_logo.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Also remember that the Windows operating system is the ultimate game crippler in terms of performance.

Still, I have noticed that more "realism" results mostly in more Whining--not just about flight models but damage models also.

The nature of the UBI posts are telling:: No posts about missions or campaigns about one's side air force supporting ground units in defending or attacking bridgeheads. No posts comparing a sweaty mission to massive Kursk or Kuban air battles that hysterically involved hundreds of aircraft. The result is sheer boredom in Eastern Front air warfare--as evidenced in the "Free Carrier Addon" thread, fantasizing about aircraft carriers for FB. When you can only set up missions with 20 aircraft before the game stalls, all you have left is fantasizing about aircraft carriers or 1 ~vs~ 1 internet dogfights.

I am wondering if Oleg's attempt at super~realism using a physics engine designed for *one* low level ground attack aircraft (the IL~2) can handle dozens of different types of high altitude interceptors in a manner that keeps various aircraft in relative performance (and thus keep everyone happy).

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 09:18 AM
You seem to forget that the large 'silent'(adult WWII air war bufs ) comunity would prefer 'Realism' or the closest expierience to the historic fights, over the Multiplay that is all about competition, scoring, Egoboosting, humilyating your opponents, both in fights and chat! and the holy grail of the Onliners: FPS.

They seem to forget they are a small but loud comunity.

I belong to the Large most of the times silent group who love this sim because of the historic campaigns, and always looking for enhancments towards more realism, better FM, new a/c, new theathers!

Don't get me wrong i am not here responding to insult mature Onliners, who have evrey right to enyoy their multyplayer wars!

I am still thinking it would be better to have two versions of the same sim!:

IL2 ..Ofline, that would be the closest thing to the historic WWII expierience.

Il2 ...Online, that is all about Multiplay, Competition and the best FPS.

regards,
Kees.

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 10:05 AM
What I really wonder about is that racing games are so unrealistic and nobody complains. They only want the fun...

Flight simmers can't accept unrealistic behaviour (and I am a flight simmer and can't accept it, too)

< !-- sig -->
<HR noshade>
Our conviction is like an arrow already in flight.
Your life will only last until it reaches you.
-
The spice extends life, the spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel. Travel without moving.

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Flydutch wrote:
- You seem to forget that the large 'silent'(adult
- WWII air war bufs ) comunity would prefer 'Realism'
- or the closest expierience to the historic fights,
- over the Multiplay that is all about competition,
- scoring, Egoboosting, humilyating your opponents,
- both in fights and chat! and the holy grail of the
- Onliners: FPS.

To me multiplay is about flying _with_ the people
in your squad, not so much flying _against_ people.
Flying in a coop with the enemy being AI can be fun,
even.

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 05:09 PM
Flydutch,

Realism is a relative term that each of us has our own perception of. I look at this sim as a trade off between the realism of the individual aircraft's abillity to mimic its actual performance (Pure Sim) and the realism of being able to create historical battles (Combat Sim).

I think that FB has made wonderful strides in its persuit of a/c realism but has fallen short of the ability to recreate large and complex battles on line.

I invite you to explore two of the semi-historical online wars that I enjoy: "Iron Skies" and "Forgotten War". Their scores are based on ground controlled by troops whose fate is in the hands of the attacking/defending airforce. These wars are based on team tactics and not individual pilots scores. In that reguard, these wars strive to acheive realism based on the way human pilots interact in a manner that supports one common goal. These wars are NOT organized dogfights that stress individual accomplishment.

So, my point, FB needs to have the required aircraft flight realism while providing the ability to conduct complex multi-player wars.

For me, this Sim is all about Team Tactics and trying to simulate actual battles (not just trying to simulate an individual aircraft). Its about putting these birds in the air and using them as they were in the past.

I guess I belong to that mature group of pilots looking for realism; recreation of battles. That's why I view this not as a "Pure Sim" but a "Combat Sim"

VOL_Mountain

XyZspineZyX
07-26-2003, 02:01 AM
I never flew a Warbird so I cant say from experience..but I have flown lots of sims and I prefer prop sims..... I think FB is quite realistic. The stalls the characteristics of the planes...sure there are "issues" but overall it is THE most realistic sim I have ever flown on any level. I liie the fact that it is set up so that 2 people can easily run a coop against or with the AI.... Brunhost was nice (CFS)but it was definitely not like running a coop. I think this sim is actually well laid out..the hard core realism junkie can find his slot and the hard core gamer can also find his slot....and both can do it with stunning graphics, decent sound at worse..(at least on my little old 1.4G system) and a lot of action.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
07-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Again I got nothing against nor do i not grand any Online simmers their fun, especialy not the serious ones!
you guys have just as much right to ask for anything as anyone ofcourse!
But don't forget their is a huge amount of simmeres who play ofline only and are reluctant to express their needs in these often abusive/competetiv forums!

If people would really show respect towards this group i bet whe would hear a lot more from them and even meet them online in a serious fight!

still what about having two versions of this sim that satifies both historic bufs, and harcore onliners alike!?
kees.