PDA

View Full Version : OT: Huge "Theatre of War" uberpatch released



leitmotiv
01-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Get 'em while they are hot (1.20 GB!):

http://battlefront.com/products/tow/patch.html

Kurfurst__
01-29-2008, 07:58 AM
So whats ToW like... is it any good? I`ve only tried the demo, which was rather rigid in its concept (basically, one side in trenches on defense, the other side with lots of tanks dead ahead..), and the whole stuff seemed to going on its own regardless of what you wanted it to do.. with a bit of extremeism, it was CPU vs CPU on basically the same map every time. Realism is nice and all, but overall it was much less I expected it to be. Not to mention that guns on tanks failed almost always after a few hits..

So I wonder if the 'full version' is any better than that.

Genie-
01-29-2008, 08:31 AM
well i bought ToW immediately as it was available to buy not only because i like this type of games but to support any company who dares to make such a "not so profitable" type of game. It was not all i wanted to be but with few last patches (esp including this one) finally i've got what i wanted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif and for really fair price.

So if you ask me.. go an buy it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

leitmotiv
01-29-2008, 08:31 AM
I just fiddled with it (I bought the full game), and didn't get seriously into it because of all the horror stories about things going completely wrong. I waited for this monster patch, and now I'll go into it seriously. Report forthcoming. I like that it has France 1940 equipment---I am crazy about the French tanks of this period. Now T-34 VS TIGER will be the icing on the cake for some serious land fighting.

Hkuusela
02-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I tried this utter piece of **** and I must say that as attractive as the general idea is, I've lost it so many times with this game, that it doesn't seem to be worth it. It is pretty discouraging and to be honest ridiculous, that when the Germans go at the French in the "Dunkirk" mission, these pre-historic Renaults from the IWW take out your latest models, where as they can't do anything about it. Your gunners can't hit the side of a barn from inside and the enemy 75mm canons are all superhuman. And this is with easy settings...! Please, what the h*** is this supposed to be? The way I remember it, the real events were something quite different... I just don't understand who idiot has come up with a plan like this: "Hey guys, let's make the second battle in the campaign impossible and make it something it never was IRL".

Jesus!

leitmotiv
02-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Have you tried the patched version?

bhunter2112
02-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Seems that 1c has not abandoned the game, which is nice. I enjoy the game, it is visually pleasing. The patch has a battle generator and mission & map editor. The AI does some silly things which is probly true of most games. I only have 46 & TOW on my pc. It is worth the money in my opinion.

leitmotiv
02-03-2008, 06:02 PM
While freely admitting Battlefront's Combat Command series probably remains the ultimate computer tactical game for land combat---it is detailed to the max---it lacks TOWs immersion factor and state-of-the-art graphics. You can set yourself down on a road and watch your vehicles trundle up the road to whatever fate has in store just like you were a battalion commander on the scene in the war. I can't help liking it. IL-2 46's AI is whacking crazy, too, but nobody would drop it for just that reason. Compared to the toyland tactical games like BLITZKRIEG, etc, TOW is a magnum opus.

M_Gunz
02-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Hkuusela:
I tried this utter piece of **** and I must say that as attractive as the general idea is, I've lost it so many times with this game, that it doesn't seem to be worth it. It is pretty discouraging and to be honest ridiculous, that when the Germans go at the French in the "Dunkirk" mission, these pre-historic Renaults from the IWW take out your latest models, where as they can't do anything about it. Your gunners can't hit the side of a barn from inside and the enemy 75mm canons are all superhuman. And this is with easy settings...! Please, what the h*** is this supposed to be? The way I remember it, the real events were something quite different... I just don't understand who idiot has come up with a plan like this: "Hey guys, let's make the second battle in the campaign impossible and make it something it never was IRL".

Jesus!

A bunch of gamers discussing French vs German armor, LOL! (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49808)

France had some very good tanks, just not a whole lot of those and a lot of border for them.

What are you driving in-game? Pz-38t or Pz-IVc?

FWIW, French AT data, sources listed (http://france1940.free.fr/armee/at_stats.html)

leitmotiv
02-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I gather he is writing about the pathetic Renault FT-17 with the WWI-era short 37mm gun. I don't even know if they made an AP round for it, and I'd be annoyed if Pz IIIs or IVs were getting butchered by it.

Hkuusela
02-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
I gather he is writing about the pathetic Renault FT-17 with the WWI-era short 37mm gun. I don't even know if they made an AP round for it, and I'd be annoyed if Pz IIIs or IVs were getting butchered by it.

Indeed. I can accept that my tanks are having a hard time with the B1 Bis, but the FT-17...? With an exchange ratio of 1:1...? Come on... I can also accept that the 20mm guns don't do much damage to tanks, but when we are talking about 37mm and 75mm in 1940, you'd expect to have a fighting chance. Well, you don't. That, however, does not apply to the French 75mm gun from 1897, which are squashing the German tanks like flys.

The German tanks in the game (in this particular mission) are Pz IIc's, Pz 35 t's, Pz 38 t's and Pz IVc's. French have, in addition to the two mentioned, Hotchkiss H 35's. I think that's it.

leitmotiv
02-04-2008, 12:30 AM
That will not pass muster. Have you tried the patch? I thought there were some Char Bs in the campaigns---none, eh?

leitmotiv
02-04-2008, 12:34 AM
P.S. I was able to get up close and personal with an FT-17. Worst piece of junk I'd ever seen. Gaps everywhere. All a German WWI Maxim gunner needed to do was to spray it over and over to send hot lead splattering into the interior. As for what an MG34 would do---too ghastly to contemplate. I'd rather be in the infantry.

Hkuusela
02-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Well, I finally made it (the infamous Dunkirk)! This is heaven. First Super Bowl and now this! A couple of notions:

1. Don't go after the B1's with anything less than 75mm.

2. Use your Pz II's only against infantry. Their useless in just about anything else.

3. "Klotzen, nicht kleckern!" Establish local superiority in numbers (if I understand the quote correctly).

4. Attack the (bloody) AT cannons from multiple directions, so they can't concentrate their fire on you. You can use infantry as decoy and attack with tanks.

5. Use high explosive shells on the cannons. You'll probably kill the crew.

6. Move! The French tanks can't keep up with you.

So, it's doable after all, so I'll have to take some of my words back. Still unreasonably hard on easy settings and considering it is only the second mission of the campaign (well, of course they didn't have a story line with a climax in the end in the war either, so...).

neural_dream
02-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Hkuusela:
Well, I finally made it (the infamous Dunkirk)! This is heaven. First Super Bowl and now this! A couple of notions:

1. Don't go after the B1's with anything less than 75mm.

2. Use your Pz II's only against infantry. Their useless in just about anything else.

3. "Klotzen, nicht kleckern!" Establish local superiority in numbers (if I understand the quote correctly).

4. Attack the (bloody) AT cannons from multiple directions, so they can't concentrate their fire on you. You can use infantry as decoy and attack with tanks.

5. Use high explosive shells on the cannons. You'll probably kill the crew.

6. Move! The French tanks can't keep up with you.

So, it's doable after all, so I'll have to take some of my words back. Still unreasonably hard on easy settings and considering it is only the second mission of the campaign (well, of course they didn't have a story line with a climax in the end in the war either, so...).
Ah, I see you learned your history lesson and had a nice mission success as a reward. I guess now you'll appreciate historical accuracy more in simulation "games" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Hkuusela
02-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by neural_dream:
Ah, I see you learned your history lesson and had a nice mission success as a reward. I guess now you'll appreciate historical accuracy more in simulation "games" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.
Sometimes you just need to vent your anger... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Not against historical accuracy in any way, quite the opposite. Just felt that that was not what I was getting. I may have to change my view on that.

SeaFireLIV
02-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Looks like I`m going to have to check this out.

leitmotiv
02-05-2008, 07:21 AM
H, were you playing with the latest patch installed?

Hkuusela
02-05-2008, 12:42 PM
I have version 1.3.0.56 out of the box.