PDA

View Full Version : Those Who Came Before..... Those Who Came Before

PantherophisG
06-12-2011, 10:17 AM
With all the cool Revelations videos and info hitting the net, I played through ACB again, that and I needed to finish the campaign on both consoles.

After pulling out of the Animus, and tracking down the Apple, I turned my subtitles on, because I remembered having a hard time hearing what Juno was saying in the temple. And the greatest shock was not when I heard/read what she was saying as Desmond approached the Apple, but one specific phrase she had said as Desmond was swinging from the ceiling to open the path to Juno's temple (it actually caused me to have an embarrassing fall).

"We cannot evade his grasp forever."

Puzzling over why Those Who Came Before would fear "his" grasp and even who "he" was, I went back to view the message from Minerva in AC2. She speaks of mankind's betrayal and the inciting war between humans and TWCB, "We were strong. But you were many. And both of us craved war". Then came the kick in the chest-"You [Desmond] must find the other temples. Built by those who knew to turn away from war. They worked to protect us-to save us from the fire." This was quite a while AFTER she had said "Truth turned into myth and legend. What we built, misunderstood."

What does all this mean to me? It is not just the sun that we should be worrying about in this epic tragedy to come, but a THIRD MORE POWERFUL PARTY. So, curious, I did some digging.

There is a flood myth from Babylon that dates back all the way to Sumerian times composed by Atra-Hasis and has an account about the creation of man. it's based in the Sumerian creation story in which elder gods (Anunnaki) created the Earth and heavens, and had lesser gods (Igigi) do the work on the Earth.

The flood story starts with the elder gods making the younger gods dig the beds for the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. After 3,600 years of this work, the gods finally begin to complain. They decide to go on strike, burning their tools and surrounding the chief god Enlil's "dwelling" (his temple). Enlil's vizier Nusku gets Enlil out of bed and alerts him to the angry mob outside. Enlil is scared. The vizier Nusku advises Enlil to summon the other great gods, especially Anu (sky-god) and Enki (the clever god of the fresh waters). Anu advises Enlil to ascertain who is the ringleader of the rebellion. They send Nusku out to ask the mob of gods who is their leader. The mob answers, "Every single one of us gods has declared war!"
Since the elder gods now see that the work of the younger gods "was too hard, they decide to sacrifice one of the rebels for the good of all. One of the gods, We-Ilu known as "a god who has sense" offers himself as a sacrifice to this endeavor and is killed. The goddess Nintu (the mother goddess) adds his flesh, blood and intelligence to clay and creates seven male and seven female human beings.
At first the gods enjoy the leisure the human workers afford them but, in time, the people become too loud and disturb the gods's rest. Enlil, the king of the gods, is especially annoyed by the constant disturbance from below and so decides to lessen the population by sending first a drought, then pestilence and then famine down upon the earth. After each of these plagues, the humans appeal to the god who first conceived of them, Enki, and he tells them what to do to end their suffering and return the earth to a natural, productive state. Enlil, finally, can stand no more and persuades the other gods to join him in sending a devastating flood to earth which will completely wipe out the human beings. Enki takes pity on his servant, the kind and wise Atrahasis, and warns him of the coming flood, telling him to build an ark and to seal two of every kind of animal within.
After the flood, Enki and Enlil have an argument after which Enki and Enlil agree on other means for controlling the human population through child birth (miscarriages, SIDS, etc.) and then went about creating a new population of man.

There is a separate Babylonian belief that there are 10 Igigi that are the "great gods".

So, after all this digging, I have a theory. If we combine the Christian creation story, the Sumerian creation story mix some aspects of Babylonian beliefs in there we have:

God(possibly a group of 10) created the Earth and the heavens, and staying in the heavens, created "lesser gods" (Minerva, Juno, Jupiter, ect.) to work the Earth an worship him from temples scattered across the planet. They, in turn, created mankind (Assassins) to do the actual work and to help build and maintain their city/temple Eden, when a human being (Eve) comes into contact with a piece of their technology which allows her to be self-aware.

Scared, Eve brings the "Apple" to Adam and the two of them escape Eden. They begin to bring other humans into self-awareness and begin to collect various pieces of technology engineered by TWCB. They began to fight a ware, during which "God", having seen the turmoil on Earth, causes a massive natural disaster in the form of a huge solar flare.

After this catastrophe, TWCB worked closely with man and built temples to record the memory of the war and repercussions. In the meantime "God" created a secondary, more subservient human race (Templars) who, as they came into contact with TWCB technology began to turn it on their own kind and ultimately destroyed the bodies of TWCB, forcing TWCB to leave soul/memory imprints in the temples of "God" to preserve their message to Desmond in an effort to save humanity.

***Please note before flaming my post that I am reaching at basic straws to build a back-story for Desmond's journey.***

rileypoole1234
06-12-2011, 10:30 AM
This actually is a great Theory. And after hearing the Sumerian creation story a couple months ago I don't know how I didn't think of this earlier. I got chills from reading this. It just fits perfectly. Almost too perfectly. Hearing things like this always makes me wonder if these games are really that far fetched. If we block out all of our scientific knowledge(which I often try to do), this could have easily happened in real life.

Cheers

phil.llllll
06-12-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't like the idea that templars and assassins are actually two distinct races (i.e. every single assassin is of one race and vice versa). Technically the assassins are (the ones with abilities anyway) but I don't like the idea that's its universal.

Second I think it goes against AC to have an actual God figure, considering TWCB weren't gods just advanced.

As for what Juno said, I always figured it was just a metaphor for death, not that God himself - or anyone - was trying to end them.

iN3krO
06-12-2011, 10:48 AM
TWCB (the lesser gods) made humans... the assassins are hybrids between humans and those "lesser gods"...

The rest could be ok....

maxerx180
06-12-2011, 10:49 AM
I belive she was talking about death. The reason is becuse before she said
"We cannot evade his grasp forever", she was talking about how they made the temples and how it could not store life. She talks about how time erodes them and how they can "distract" him(death)and then says they cant evade him forever which probably means how they cant live forever.

kriegerdesgottes
06-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
TWCB (the lesser gods) made humans... the assassins are hybrids between humans and those "lesser gods"...

The rest could be ok....

^ this. The assassins are hybrids between human beings and TWTCB making them pretty much demi-gods so it can't just be two races templar and assassins.

phil.llllll
06-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
demi-gods so it can't just be two races templar and assassins.

But TWCB weren't gods or demi gods. They were just a more advanced, separate race of beings.

AMuppetMatt
06-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by rileypoole1234:
Hearing things like this always makes me wonder if these games are really that far fetched. If we block out all of our scientific knowledge(which I often try to do), this could have easily happened in real life.

Cheers

If we blocked out all our scientific knowledge the Earth would only be 6000 years old, clouds would be made of marshmellows, You wouldn't be typing on a computer, marshmellows wouldn't actually exist to compare clouds to and we'd still be throwing our feces out of the window...

So no, this couldn't have easily happened in real life.

Anyway, rant over. The theory itself seems sound towards the game however I'm not convinced that this is the direction it's going to go in. Whilst in marries up to a lot of what has been said in the brief encounters with our friends I feel taking another U-turn with the story, plot and overriding main sort of influences to the whole game would be a bridge too far. Not only would it mean trying to develop this in the space of 2 games... something that would be quite hard to do it would also leave the more brain-dead gamer completely confused. And I'm talking about the sort of gamers that find it incomprehensible that Revelations isn't AC4, and that having a different number for a different ancestorial protagonist is the equivilent of quantum mechanics...

So whilst I like the idea I can't see it practically working or being implemented in such a late stage. That said Ubi have done more insane things, such as provide a gun on your wrist, a flamethrower to destroy and entire dockyard, a bomb the size of a cupcake destroying a stone tower and BIA: Furious 4...

We shall see!

kriegerdesgottes
06-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Cheers[/QUOTE]
If we blocked out all our scientific knowledge the Earth would only be 6000 years old, clouds would be made of marshmellows, You wouldn't be typing on a computer, marshmellows wouldn't actually exist to compare clouds to and we'd still be throwing our feces out of the window...
[/QUOTE]

Is this a joke? I've been reading my bible and I can't seem to find the marshmellow as clouds part in here. can it be that your ******ed? oh wait here is the throwing fec.....oh no that's just the world being created to perfectly balance out life and the creation of your infinitely complex body.

AMuppetMatt
06-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Is this a joke? I've been reading my bible and I can't seem to find the marshmellow as clouds part in here. can it be that your ******ed? oh wait here is the throwing fec.....oh no that's just the world being created to perfectly balance out life and the creation of your infinitely complex body.[/QUOTE]

3 points of issue here.

1. I'm NOT going to debate religion on a gaming forum. There are a couple of reasons for this. Primarily people's faith, beliefs and challenges to aforementioned beliefs have been the source of debate since about as long as mankind has been able to read, write and talk. I doubt we're going to solve the solution to life based on a comment on AC but hey who knows? So don't expect me to justify my reasoning and I won't expect you to to justify yours, I won't challenge it and you don't shove it down my throat and everyone is happy... agreed? And before you say that clouds being made of marshmellows is more rediculous than the Earth being 6000 years old it's pretty much not based on the evidence that we have. Again, whether you trust that evidence or not is based on your beliefs which I'm not going to question or challenge. The "evidence" for want of a better word is there, it's up to you to accept it or ignore it. Whatever your decision you stand by it and that's fair enough.

2. The Marshmellow thing was actually a reference to something completely different, hence the comma. Unless computers are now an active part of Ezekiel the reference to marshmellows was nothing to do with Christianity to Judaism. So getting shirty about a sugary snack is a waste of time, don't worry, I'm not insane enough to think that every believer in Jesus walks with a crucifix round their necks, goes to Church on Sunday and takes regular trips on light aircraft to pick up some grub for the movies.

3. It's actually pretty narrow minded to suggest that I was referring solely to Christianity or even Christianity at all. Yes, I am picking at YOUR beliefs and no-one elses, yes I'm attacking the Christians because they're the only people on the planet to believe the Earth is 6000 years old... you and at least 2 other religions that I know of and about 2 billion others mate.

"can it be that your ******ed"
That's very Christian of you... 'question what I believe and I'll personally insult you'. Way to encourage people to join the cause!

Assassin_M
06-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Oh ......... NO ........ religious WAR, please dont

AMuppetMatt
06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Assassin_M:
Oh ......... NO ........ religious WAR, please dont

See my point 1 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

EDIT: My previous post looks a lot more agressive than I orriginally intended. At least it does to me when I read it back, it could be that I just have underlying anger issues http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (I don't really)

Read it with about half of the aggression it appears to have and you have the tone that I was using whilst writing.

O6EvolutionIXMR
06-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Some research material for the OP and whoever is interested in his theory.

Checked out Ancient Aliens Seasons 1-2(available on Instant Netflix queue for those who have it) or Graham Hancock's books(he's also featured on Ancient Aliens). I have all his books and they're fantastic. Since ACII, i've always seen the link between them and AC.

albertwesker22
06-12-2011, 12:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daniel_gervide:

The rest could be ok....

^ this. The assassins are hybrids between human beings and TWTCB making them pretty much demi-gods so it can't just be two races templar and assassins. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TWCB are not gods. They were simply a more advanced species than human. TWCB are apes just like us and they evolved just like everything else.

They look exactly like us, and humans and TWCB had a war, so TWCB are not resistant to swords and the like. The only thing they have on humans is the Eagle Sense in terms of natural senses.

As for the Assassins being hyprids, not the case for most of them. Altair, Ezio and Desmond are not really hyprids either. Altair had two human parents, as did Ezio. All their free running skills had no help from godly genes. Seriously, any Assassin can do what Ezio does, La Volpe has to be in his 60's by Brotherhood, yet he can still do it all.

The Eagle vision obviously comes from TWCB. That would mean that Altair is very distantly descended from them. Once Ezio activates his Eagle Sence, he will have all 6 senses. So Ezio is basically now a full TWCB.

The Eagle Sense is probably pressent in every human on Earth. I think I heard something about receptors in peoples brains, that made them obey the P.O.E'S...

lukaszep
06-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by phil.llllll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
demi-gods so it can't just be two races templar and assassins.

But TWCB weren't gods or demi gods. They were just a more advanced, separate race of beings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but people worpshipped and called them Gods. That's why they have the names of Gods.

Nice theory PantherophisG. It's possible that your pretty close http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

iN3krO
06-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by albertwesker22:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daniel_gervide:

The rest could be ok....

^ this. The assassins are hybrids between human beings and TWTCB making them pretty much demi-gods so it can't just be two races templar and assassins. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TWCB are not gods. They were simply a more advanced species than human. TWCB are apes just like us and they evolved just like everything else.

They look exactly like us, and humans and TWCB had a war, so TWCB are not resistant to swords and the like. The only thing they have on humans is the Eagle Sense in terms of natural senses.

As for the Assassins being hyprids, not the case for most of them. Altair, Ezio and Desmond are not really hyprids either. Altair had two human parents, as did Ezio. All their free running skills had no help from godly jeans. Seriously, any Assassin can do what Ezio does, La Volpe has to be in his 60's by Brotherhood, yet he can still do it all.

The Eagle vision obviously comes from TWCB. That would mean that Altair is very distantly descended from them. Once Ezio activates his Eagle Sence, he will have all 6 senses. So Ezio is basically now a full TWCB.

The Eagle Sense is probably pressent in every human on Earth. I think I heard something about receptors in peoples brains, that made them obey the P.O.E'S... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why GOD defenition can't change for the game?

Assassin's Creed's God defenition: Member of a Civilization that were more advanced than Humans.

... When i say god i don't say the god we know in the real world -.-''

AMuppetMatt
06-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Surely the definition of a god anyway is that they are a more advanced, more powerful being than humans that cannot be fully understood? If that's the definition we're going by then TWCB ARE gods. I mean whether they're gods in terms of Yahweh, Allah, Xenu etc. (wait... there's an odd one out in that list...) fair enough because they are still human or at least in human form, however they have enough knowledge, power etc. in them to be classed as gods surely?

albertwesker22
06-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:
Surely the definition of a god anyway is that they are a more advanced, more powerful being than humans that cannot be fully understood? If that's the definition we're going by then TWCB ARE gods. I mean whether they're gods in terms of Yahweh, Allah, Xenu etc. (wait... there's an odd one out in that list...) fair enough because they are still human or at least in human form, however they have enough knowledge, power etc. in them to be classed as gods surely?

Gods do not exist in the AC universe. A God is a supernatural Immortal being. They are simply a more evolved human sub-species "We were more advanced in time" Do you consider yourself a God to the most basic tribal people on this Earth? People who look up to the sky, and think Jets are gods racing across the sky?

I'm not going to argue semantics with you.

AMuppetMatt
06-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Are we sure that TWCB weren't immortal in that they could only bee killed, not die of old age? I mean if I'm wrong there then I agree with your counter argument but I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest they could die of old age.

albertwesker22
06-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:
Are we sure that TWCB weren't immortal in that they could only bee killed, not die of old age? I mean if I'm wrong there then I agree with your counter argument but I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest they could die of old age.

In ACB, Juno said "Time erodes us" If thats not proof that they age, then I don't know what its.

AMuppetMatt
06-12-2011, 01:29 PM
At which point I agree with you 100% http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

twenty_glyphs
06-12-2011, 01:45 PM
The exact quote is hard to understand in context while playing the game, but the wiki makes it clear:

Here is a safe place. Eternal. To store objects. Words. Wisdom. But not life. Almost did we have the means. But time... time erodes us. We can distract him. We can see past him. Feint left when he strikes right. But his reach is so very long. His stamina unending. We cannot evade his grasp. Not forever.

"He" is obviously time, since she mentions time just before her first use of "him".

Shababa2011
06-12-2011, 03:36 PM
this is weird.. im believing more in the OP's theory than the christian thing.. i really think that the christian bible story is really far fetched.. but the Sumerian theory or w/e you call it, is actually something i believe in, and it makes much more sense.. plus it's much more detailed.
rather than just god created that, and that, then adam, and out of him he made eve. they ate an illegal apple and got banned from paradise.. like srsly? this theory sounds so much more realistic.

anyways thats just my opinion, and im still christian. now dont start flamewar about it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Assassin_M
06-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Shababa2011:
this is weird.. im believing more in the OP's theory than the christian thing.. i really think that the christian bible story is really far fetched.. but the Sumerian theory or w/e you call it, is actually something i believe in, and it makes much more sense.. plus it's much more detailed.
rather than just god created that, and that, then adam, and out of him he made eve. they ate an illegal apple and got banned from paradise.. like srsly? this theory sounds so much more realistic.

anyways thats just my opinion, and im still christian. now dont start flamewar about it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Seriously, why ??? this comment was COMPLETELY pointless

lukaszep
06-13-2011, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by albertwesker22:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:

In ACB, Juno said "Time erodes us" If thats not proof that they age, then I don't know what its. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had always assumed that meant that history erodes them, like they are lost in time. But i don't know, they must age otherwise they would still be here?

PantherophisG
06-13-2011, 07:04 AM
First time I've been able to swing back by and check on my post. Didn't expect to see this much of a reaction, so let me lay a few things out here.

For those who have not seen the "Official AC Timeline", there is "recorded" point in time when TWCB made man, and they did so by experimenting with their own genetics and local flora, so whoever has presented that TWCB "evolved like us" is a might bit misinformed for the sake of this argument.

I will concede that there is no evidence of a "God" (and for those of you who were actually paying attention to the post "God" refers to the being/beings who created the temples that are housing the memories of TWCB). As my current theory incorporates aspects of the Sumerian creation story, Christian creation story, and varying aspects of Babylonian mythology this "God" I refer to can be one or many, in this case 10 is my magic number.

I'm looking at the areas of the world in which the game is taking place, we are about to go to the heart of Babylon. There is already a heavy influence of Sumerian myth surrounding this story, as well as severe Christian overtones.

In AC, when the Altair uncovers the map at the end, there are about 10 different sections of the map highlighted. In AC2 these same areas are marked on the codex map, and referenced by Minerva as possibly being created by a third race of some sort. In Sumerian and Babylonian mythology the Igigi ("lesser/younger" gods) appear. However, in Sumerian lore, they are "subservient" gods while in Babylonian mythology they are the "10 great gods" (hence the reason for 10 temples and my reason for believing there are 10 of these guys).

I will happily concede that Templars and Assassins are not separate species. I do start wondering what Juno means when she says "Birthed from our loins and the loins of our enemies...," in that case. It's either some reference to the Assassin/Templar aspect, or some reference to a being at least as powerful (I think more powerful) as TWCB who created a species similar to the mankind that TWCB made.

It was tossed out there that Juno may be referring to death, in which case I might agree. However, in almost every polytheistic culture (and I think we can agree on the idea that the AC lore is based in a polytheistic universe) death is represented, not as an idea, but as a god who rules the afterlife/underworld. Sumerians were no different, the Annunaki were the overseers of the afterlife, while the Igigi oversaw the world. Even in the modern-day, death is depicted most commonly as Death, the scythe-wielding, robed being who is shown as anything from a walking skeleton to a diseased and starving old man.

That being said, IF (and that's an enourmous "if") "God" (at this time I'm referring to the possibility that there are 10 beings more advanced than TWCB, not one) built these temples, and made TWCB, and stayed in the heavens, then one of these 10 beings would likely be the ruler of the underworld and therefore "death" as far as the lore is concerned.

***Side note: Any reference to God, god, or gods should be interpreted, for the sake of the Assassin's Creed universe, as corporeal beings beyond human comprehension advanced in mental capabilities and technology, not as supernatural beings.

scope2005
06-13-2011, 08:08 AM
I really like this theory. Its fits perfectly into the backstory and I think your on to something...

However, When Juno says "we cannot escape his grasp forever", she could mean death as both a metaphor but also as a literal being... Pluto/Hades - the god of the underworld and death... pretty much SATAN in the modern monotheist religions.

While I think your theory is pretty spot on... My interpretation of events from glyph puzzles and the cryptic messages from Minerva and Juno is slightly different.

What if the cause of this solar flare isn't caused by an elder god specifically, but an angry rogue or outcast 'TWCB'? possibly fitting the description of Pluto/Hades in Roman and Greek mythology, or another who fits the "evil" specifications.

My thoery pretty much mirrors your own at the start. Humans were created as a subserviant race in the image of TWCB. Limited in both intelligence and self-awareness, with thier senses limited and the full potential of thier brains locked away to make them docile. Not created as "sons", to inherit the earth, but as a docile workforce of servants to simply serve the needs of TWCB.

Now what we do know is that at some point there was a war between the humans and TWCB - probably sparked by the fact that Eve stole the 'Apple of Eden', and TWCB saw this as an act of betrayal. But why would she do such a thing? what gave her the sentience to act in such an autonomous way?

This had me thinking back to the AC2 Glyph puzzle "Brothers", in which the bible story of 'Cain and Able' is refered to (the sons of adam and eve). "The Serpent" (or the Devil/Satan) tempts cain with promises of power, and he kill's his brother for the apple of eden... in the AC2 puzzle it specifically states that he took the name "Master Mahan", and bore the mark of Cain (shown as the templar cross), on his body. Explaining the origins of the Templar Order.

In the actual Bible though, prior to this story - it states that this same "Serpent" (Satan), tempted eve to steal the forbidden apple, from the tree of knowlege which greatly angered god.

So in terms of the AC universe - Who is the serpent?

Could he be a rogue or outcast TWCB? Possibly Pluto/Hades or another of the Pantheon? Perhaps Jealous of the utopia created by the ones who came before, or resentful of the human slaves - he may have purposely manipulated Adam and Eve to steal the apple to spark this great war between TWCB and humans we hear about in game - Granting them access to knowlege forbidden to them that is contained within the apple gave humans the knowlege of technology so that they had the power to fight thier masters?

Could this mean that "the serpent" is "the father of understanding" that the templars revere?
Afterall he brought the forbidden knowlege to the humans, and it seems he also helped Cain establish the templars?

While both races were busy warring, "The Serpent" could have set the solar flare into motion to eliminate both factions in one blow...

Minerva states that after the war thier numbers were few, So the Survivors of both sides probably started working together to record the event so that it could be stopped in the future... (and as I understand, TWCB and humans mated which would explain the strange powers and 6th sense that the assassin bloodlines have).

After these events, "The Serpent" would appear again, to tempt Cain to kill Able for the apple. This explains why the templars would revere him as a Patron.

Thats my understanding anyway...