PDA

View Full Version : X45 problems, and a few newb questions...

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 04:02 AM
Hi eveyrone... I just recieved my Saitek X45 Joystick in the mail (used for $40, free shipping from their site), and was having some problems configuring it.

Mainly, I get a message saying "must plug in a saitek programable device" whenever I try using the Joystick's programming feature. I thought maybe there would be a patch to fix this error message but did not know where to look (I didn't see it right away on their official site).

Also, I noticed a mini mouse cursor type thing on the throttle. Do any of you use this for looking around the cockpit in FB, or do you stick with the default panning button on the face of the joystick itself? If the former, how do I set it so that the throttle minimouse will act as the mouse in FB? (or do I need the formentioned Joystick programmer program to do this?

Ok... And now for some more (unrelated) noob questions... When the AI is always announcing the vector you are supposed to be headed, how do I tell which vector I am travelling in? Is it a dial somewhere? Where?

And how do the waypoints on the map work exactly? When I reach a waypoint, is it supposed to dissapear when I fly over it? If it doesn't, am I doing something wrong or do I need to turn the waypoint off manually when I reach it?

Furthermore, the takeoff and landing tutorials say that the "G" key is supposed to raise or lower your landing gear... Yet whenever I press the G key it doesn't do anything. How do I raise/lower my landing gear? Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 04:02 AM
Hi eveyrone... I just recieved my Saitek X45 Joystick in the mail (used for $40, free shipping from their site), and was having some problems configuring it.

Mainly, I get a message saying "must plug in a saitek programable device" whenever I try using the Joystick's programming feature. I thought maybe there would be a patch to fix this error message but did not know where to look (I didn't see it right away on their official site).

Also, I noticed a mini mouse cursor type thing on the throttle. Do any of you use this for looking around the cockpit in FB, or do you stick with the default panning button on the face of the joystick itself? If the former, how do I set it so that the throttle minimouse will act as the mouse in FB? (or do I need the formentioned Joystick programmer program to do this?

Ok... And now for some more (unrelated) noob questions... When the AI is always announcing the vector you are supposed to be headed, how do I tell which vector I am travelling in? Is it a dial somewhere? Where?

And how do the waypoints on the map work exactly? When I reach a waypoint, is it supposed to dissapear when I fly over it? If it doesn't, am I doing something wrong or do I need to turn the waypoint off manually when I reach it?

Furthermore, the takeoff and landing tutorials say that the "G" key is supposed to raise or lower your landing gear... Yet whenever I press the G key it doesn't do anything. How do I raise/lower my landing gear? Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 04:09 AM
Unplug your joystick, go to the Saitek site and download the latest drivers/programing software. Once you can open the programing software you clik on the mouse assignment and choose between mouse or hat, choose mouse. Oh yea, make sure you install the advanced software(It will ask you if you want the basic or advanced when you run setup)

<center> http://www.4yourfuture.net/handshake.gif

"Altitude, speed, maneuver, fire!"-The "formula of Terror" of Aleksandr Pokryshkin, Three times awarded the rank of Hero of the Soviet Union

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 04:15 AM
Moose-Factory wrote:

- Mainly, I get a message saying "must plug in a
- saitek programable device" whenever I try using the
- Joystick's programming feature. I thought maybe
- there would be a patch to fix this error message but
- did not know where to look (I didn't see it right
- away on their official site).

The X45 has a definite procedure for installation. If you hose it the first time, you have to totally reinstall everything to try again usually. Also try the <a href=http://www.63rd.co.uk/saitek/>Official Saitek Forum</a> which has lots of useful info and is the best place to contact Saitek support guys in any event.

- Also, I noticed a mini mouse cursor type thing on
- the throttle. Do any of you use this for looking
- around the cockpit in FB, or do you stick with the
- default panning button on the face of the joystick
- itself? If the former, how do I set it so that the
- throttle minimouse will act as the mouse in FB? (or
- do I need the formentioned Joystick programmer
- program to do this?

I myself use the thumbstick as a mouse, I use the main hat on the stick as the POV. You have to assign it as same in the Saitek software (which you've yet to fix).

- Ok... And now for some more (unrelated) noob
- questions... When the AI is always announcing the
- vector you are supposed to be headed, how do I tell
- which vector I am travelling in? Is it a dial
- somewhere? Where?

The leads will call out vector and height changes when they hit waypoints. That means all leads not just your own flight's (ie the bomber flight or another unrelated fighter flight...confusing no?). Vector is merely the heading in degrees, derived from the compass or the speedbar.

- And how do the waypoints on the map work exactly?
- When I reach a waypoint, is it supposed to dissapear
- when I fly over it? If it doesn't, am I doing
- something wrong or do I need to turn the waypoint
- off manually when I reach it?

If waypoints are displayed on your map (ie minimap path is enabled) theyre fixed. When you hit the waypoint the AI lead will turn onto the next. If you're in a German A/C you can use the overlay needle in the compass to navigate to the next waypoint.

- Furthermore, the takeoff and landing tutorials say
- that the "G" key is supposed to raise or lower your
- landing gear... Yet whenever I press the G key it
- doesn't do anything. How do I raise/lower my landing
- gear? Thanks.

If you're still in the training mission, you can't control the aircraft. If you're playing in a mission or anything else check that you've got the raise/lower gear bound to "G". Note that the I-16 has manual gear that needs to be raised by repeated presses of the "manaul raise gear" command which is unbound by default.

Welcome to the community, mind the trolls /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<center>
Read the <a href=http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm>IL2 FAQ</a>
Got Nimrod? Try the unofficial <A HREF=http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=4870c2bc08acb0f130e5e3396d08d595>OT forum</A>

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Good post hobnail

Kaptain Maico
249th I.A.P.
Group II
Trng Officer

"We take the Boom out of your Zoom"