PDA

View Full Version : WTH! P40 skins turned all pink!!??

TheCrux
05-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Bizarre. Was playing some QMB gunnery practice and using various allied and axis A/C against a Ki-21 but when I chose the P-40E it had a solid pink skin. Selecting the various skins available was no help: Solid pink. Went into the game files and saw the proper skins still there in the P-40E file so I figured a game re-start would re-set it. It didn't.

What the freak went wrong?

drose01
05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
The Warhawk virus.

I think you will have to reformat your hard drive.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-09-2007, 01:31 AM
Pilot went gay.

Taylortony
05-09-2007, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by drose01:
The Warhawk virus.

I think you will have to reformat your hard drive.

do not say stupid things like this some people will believe it.

TheCrux
05-09-2007, 02:08 AM
This is not some troll thread, I can do without the smartass comments.

No fruity pilots or the like, just that the P40, and only the "E" model ( the field mod model as well ) is all pink, props and all...either flying, or flying against. QMB or Single missions. I have ( or had, up till now ) the "skins on" download setting for online play, but there's nothing out of whack that shows up in the P40 paint schemes/skins file.

while I guess a re-install would fix this, I'm wondering if I could just get another P40 File. The skins template from the UBI site has most of the skins, but not the P40 "E" model.

Feathered_IV
05-09-2007, 02:16 AM
Can you post a screen shot? I had some of mine come out as fine, wavy grayscale lines when I corrupted a skin file after exporting with Bright. Try putting some of those skins in other plane folders and see if they load up in colour too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Akronnick
05-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Are there problems with other aircraft/skins?
Have you tried changing graphics settings to see what happens?
Any new software recently installed?

Just some suggestions to maybe narrow down what might be causeing the problem.

MrMojok
05-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Maybe clear the netcache folder ?

TheCrux
05-09-2007, 02:54 AM
No problems with other skins that I noticed; though I didn't look at every A/C in the game. Attempted to upload screenshot photo to photobucket but it just locked up.

I had to do a registry cleaning and reload Mozilla Firefox recently, but truthfully i haven't flown the P40 much, much less the "E", so I don't know if it was a pre-existing issue or not.

tigertalon
05-09-2007, 03:00 AM
Pink you say? I remember a week or so ago when flying on UKD2 server, all enemy Bf109E4 suddenly went pink! I thought "well that's an interesting choice for a squad" for I was sure they fly as a squad and wear this skin on purpose... maybe they didn't afterall. However, it fixed itself next maps, and this was the only instance I saw it. Only E4, all other Emils worked fine.

Like mojok said, have you cleared net cache folder or is maybe your hard drive with '46 instalation completely full?

Capt.LoneRanger
05-09-2007, 03:12 AM
Sorry for the comment, just couldn't resist. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

If it is the default-skin, it is hard to check, but it is possible the file got damaged. There is no chance to repair the default-skins, though, as they are stored in the locked archives of IL2.

I guess the only way to remove this, is a reinstall of the game.

MrMojok
05-09-2007, 04:03 AM
That's bad news, indeed.

Make sure to clear the netcache folder, it's a long shot, but try it before a reinstall.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Default-skins are not stored in the netcache, but of course it is worth a try.

TheCrux
05-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Well thanks for the advice and all, but I still have the problem. Cleared the Net Cache but still no good. I have manually downloaded and installed skins on other A/C, but none were pink, let alone solid pink. As someone suggested, the P40E file was probably damaged. Now it's a question of whether to do a PIA re-install the game, or let things alone as I rarely fly that P40 version anyway. Then again, there may be other problems with other A/C I don't know about yet.

dbillo
05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
The only time I have seen anything like that is when a pilot joined my server with a blank pilot name. His aircraft appeared in a fluorescent colour, either pink or orange or purple.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Sorry to hear that, Crux. On the bright side, you can probably install IL2 right over the existing installation, apply the patch and won't lose any skins or stuff.

Still, it will probably reset your campaigns and settings and I don't know, if it is worth the effort. The P40E is sure one of the best rides in the game, but that is your decision.

Divine-Wind
05-09-2007, 02:38 PM
If it's a default skin, the only fix is to reinstall. Or figure out how to crack open Oleg's locker of files.

Dolemite-
05-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Same thing happened to me once while playing online a while back, all the P-51s in the server went pink. Restarting my PC fixed it.

Though IIRC it wasnt too long after that happened that I had to buy a new gfx card.

TheCrux
05-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
Sorry to hear that, Crux. On the bright side, you can probably install IL2 right over the existing installation, apply the patch and won't lose any skins or stuff.

Still, it will probably reset your campaigns and settings and I don't know, if it is worth the effort. The P40E is sure one of the best rides in the game, but that is your decision.

Does that mean I can just do another install over my existing 1946 without having to uninstall the existing'46 first? I guess the 4.08 patch would be "shadowed" by the new install and get erased then?

At least my present install is only a month and a half old, but I'll check my config settings before so I don't have to trial and error my way back to normal.

Monguse
05-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Crux,

Check to see if your "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\PaintSchemes\NetCache" is empty. If it's not kill all the contents. and leave the

"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\PaintSchemes\NetCache" clean.

Clearing out the netcache could have worked but seeing it did not then the issue might be in a pre-cached folder.

If that does not work you might want to look at your settings.ini in your Users folder such as "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\Users\doe"

Once you open the settings.ini look for the '[skin]' section, then look for the 'P-40E'

The last time I used a P-40E its value was 'P-40E=default'. If your P-40E has a value replace it default.

Hope it helps.

VFS-214_Hawk
05-09-2007, 04:26 PM
unrelated to game issues werent some P40s painted desert cammo faded to a pink luster by the sun?

WarWolfe_1
05-09-2007, 04:36 PM
The color wasn't pink but it was very close. Can't remeber the name of the color now (sand??)but the lower side was Azure blue.

Looked like this
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/WarWolfe/White46.jpg

-HH-Quazi
05-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I used to get this also. Except I would not only see pink, but green also. I haven't seen this in quite sometime now. It used to only happen when I was playing online connected to some one elses server.

XyZspineZyX
05-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Something like this?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Skunk24/pink.jpg

Divine-Wind
05-09-2007, 06:12 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Sorry, but that's the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Rood-Zwart
05-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Erika Hartmanns plane? :P

TheCrux
05-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the tip Monguse. Checked the relevant ini. file but the P40E already had "default". Interesting info in there though.

Hey Skunk, The Bf109 pictured is the exact condition I have with the P40E, except it only displays nationality markings and a tail #. Everything pink except tires and cockpit. Plane flies fine, except I'm just embarrased to be "seen" in it...even offline with other AI.

This game can be such a collossal PIA.

T_O_A_D
05-09-2007, 08:00 PM
I get that from time to time, here of late it is just from one of my friends, and it has happend an several different aircraft types,
here is the only screen shot I got, and its not consistant. But I've seen it on and off through out the years of this sim.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/T_O_A_D/IL2%20AEP%20PF%20pics/OBPrettyinPink.jpg

Steg.
05-09-2007, 09:01 PM
I have struck this before and I surmised at the time that the pink plane is an aircraft without any skin.

so for some reason your default skins are not working over the model atm.

The two occasions I met this, was once when I made custom regiment files and made the grupenumber above 4, the game doesn't like this and throws up the pink skin and usually destroys the plane if you are taking off from the ground.

The other time was when for some reason my Finish markings got fouled up some how, I could select any other country fine, but as soon as i Selected finish it would go to pink.