PDA

View Full Version : Gamescom 2011 Assassin's Creed Booth Impressions

BK-110
08-22-2011, 10:43 AM
First off, I got to be honest: This thread is simply an outlet for me to get my frustrations from the AC Booth off my chest. But if anyone else was there, I'd like to hear your opinions as well.

I don't know who was in charge of that booth, but whoever it is should be fired instantly. This was my experience:

The AC area was completely closed off from view, even though it was nothing but more multiplayer, something I couldn't have known. There's the first problem, no information about what I was waiting for; but it was AC, so I saw it through, because I thought it would be worth it.

I waited somewhere between five and six hours in a line with nothing to do. Not even gameplay to look at, just the same random trailers being replayed. After finally getting in the first thing we got was a presentation of Ghost Recon's weapon modification system (something already shown at E3)... Why, after waiting for six hours straight, would I want to see a presentation of GHOST RECON?!

Well, that wasn't that bad, at least it was over quickly. Following this, we got an intro to ACR's story while watching the last bit of the E3 CG trailer. I thought "Alright, I guess we'll get some decent stuff right after that...". But no, what we got was the gameplay walkthrough from E3, an old walkthrough every fan, who would wait for 6 hours in a line, would have seen 500 times over! Even worse, it came with a horribly bad German voiceover (I do know that many German voiceovers, particularly of American shows and films, are great, but this was just disgustingly bad).

And that was the presentation. After that we got to play ONE round -- A SINGLE ROUND -- of multiplayer, which was pretty decent, alright, I got in second place, too, but it was in no way worth waiting six excruciating hours for.

In summary, the whole thing was a huge waste of time. For a fan of the series there was nothing new WHATSOEVER since E3. How could they ever justify a wait time of six hours for ONLY THAT?!

As for the small bit of impressions I could gather from playing the game for such a short amount of time:

I like it. It polishes ACB's multiplayer pretty well. I like the that the hookblade climbing is built into the multiplayer as well and I prefer it to the monotone way of climbing in AC2 and ACB. But in the end it wasn't different enough from ACB's multiplayer to warrant a six hour wait time.

Next time, Ubi, do it like the guys from NCsoft did with Guild Wars 2: Have a bunch of computers/consoles in the booth for everybody to see and let people form lines independently. It worked perfectly fine. There was about a four to five hour wait time and 40 minutes of play time for every player.

Whoever read this wall of text, thank you for listening to my ranting and I'd like to hear the opinions of whoever else was there.

SupremeCaptain
08-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Woah, that sound awful. It sucks that happened to you dude.

LightRey
08-22-2011, 10:57 AM
I could be wrong here, but weren't the Gamescom trailer and the Alta´r gameplay trailer from Gamescom?

NuclearFuss
08-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
I could be wrong here, but weren't the Gamescom trailer and the Alta´r gameplay trailer from Gamescom?

I assume that was the press conference, not the public booth

LightRey
08-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by sackboy411:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

I assume that was the press conference, not the public booth </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh yes, of course. nvm then.

Calvarok
08-22-2011, 12:11 PM
I do agree that Arenanet is awesome with everythign regarding Guild Wars 2, but for Ubisoft they're in much the same position as most booths: they simply don't get to put in more computers or Tvs. This is very common, and is one of the reasons going to conventions is often over glamorized. Of course, if ubisoft had schedueled a bigger booth, then they could have done it, but they have tons of games that they're showing. NCsoft was only showing a few, PLUS Arenanet is a wholly owned subsiduary of NCsoft, so they were able to work on their specifications for it well ahead of time and separately from NCsoft's other games.

Cpt_Yanni
08-22-2011, 12:26 PM
The press got to see a new demo. But I know it's pretty disappointed for a huge fan to wait for six hours for something like that. But if the row is that large, they can't let you play like more than 8 minutes + a ten minute presentation. Else you had to wait more than six hours...

BK-110
08-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Cpt_Yanni:
The press got to see a new demo. But I know it's pretty disappointed for a huge fan to wait for six hours for something like that. But if the row is that large, they can't let you play like more than 8 minutes + a ten minute presentation. Else you had to wait more than six hours...

Thing is, the presentation was utterly useless. Everything shown has been on the net for three months now. If they had opened the gameplay area for everyone to see and let people organize in lines themselves, each playing, for instance, two rounds, I'd say that the wait time would've been shorter (many people might not even have bothered, seeing as it was only multiplayer, which most Brotherhood players pretty much know inside out) and everyone could've played for longer while being able to watch others play while waiting.

And before anyone says "What about the people who haven't seen the E3 demo yet?": What person, who hasn't already seen that, would be willing to stand in line for six hours for some game they probably aren't that interested in anyway? After all, if they were, they would've seen it online ages ago!

As much as I love the series, if I had known that it was just multiplayer for one round, I would've spent the time trying another game instead, seeing as the multiplayer is so similar to Brotherhood's.

Panfaun
08-22-2011, 05:36 PM
It sounds like Ubisoft was testing to see how much a fan would go through until something inside snapped. Probably their hearts.

But sorry it sucked so much. If it makes you feel any better, I think some people around here would've have done the same thing, lol.

kriegerdesgottes
08-22-2011, 09:02 PM
That sucks, I would have been upset too. Sorry that happened to you. I was annoyed that they released the trailer and then only showed the demo to the press and then when we got a hold of the demo, Ubisoft went through and shut them all down so we couldn't see them for a couple days. Why should we look forward to gamescom if ubisoft is going to hide everything they bring for no real reason while everyone else is showing their games off. Ubisoft is weird about that stuff. And by weird I mean incredibly annoying.

Cpt_Yanni
08-23-2011, 03:51 AM
I know it wasn't cool for you that you only could play one round. But I think that it was something that you already knew when you were standing in the line. If all these people are interested in AC: Revelations and there is a line of 6 hours,they can't let them play two round... (That's like +8 minutes for each group, which makes the wait again much longer...). It must have been frustrating, but nonetheless something that you could have expected. (about the multiplayer).

Besides that, I can find myself in your frustration of the single player demo. Last year they showed something new on the booth if I remember correctly (the 'small Pantheon mission + the villa attack'), while they didn't show nothing new at all this year (at the booth). Luckily they've showed something new to the press (which already leaked a couple of days ago).