PDA

View Full Version : Macchi 202/205???

white12
01-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Does anyone have any exp with or opinion of this ac? I tried out a 205/III just out of curiosity having read some history about them- pitted it against p51b. Initially I got my butt kicked; now can stay alive and even sometimes shoot down a 51 (yeah pathetic I know) Historical accounts I have read say the 205 in the right hands "can hold its own" against any allied fighter. Bah humbug? Some accounts even went so far as to say that some pilots who had flown both the 109, & 205 preferred the 205. More humbug? Granted I usually fly a p47, and thusly not accustomed to this kind of machine but I hate it when I can't make something work when it's supposed to. Any experience or tips (beside don't fly the macchi) would be appreciated.

tigertalon
01-15-2007, 08:57 PM
205_III is one of a few candidates for "teh best of '43", along with G2, A6, MkIX, FN and P51B (if you consider last two as 43 planes).

Rocket climb, impressive high alt performance, fair speed, nice maneouverability, loads of ammo (2x275 rpg for Mg151/20), formidable dive speed - 1000kph, digital ammocounters, sexy looks... what can one want more. I prefer it over 109s up to alcoholic versions (which are '44 anyway).<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<span class="ev_code_BLACK"><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">?In the size of the lie there is always contained a certain factor of credibility,

HotelBushranger
01-16-2007, 01:19 AM
The 202 and 205 are very underrated planes, much like the P-40. This is mostly due to the dodgy roll rate (but I'm running in 4.04m and apparently this has been rectified). As tiger said, it's a very good plane and in the right hands can kick arse. All comes with practice my friend.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

------------------------------
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/Low_Flyer/fokkerdxximodel3ds_Sig.jpg
You can have no idea just how hostile aircraft can be until they come to your area...
Aircraft which strafe or bomb your positions should be regarded with suspicion, if not deep mistrust. Aircraft which bomb and strafe your position and wear a red circle should certainly be regarded with deep mistrust. In fact, the deeper the better. A six-foot-deep slit trench is an ideal place from which to mistrust them...
Australian soldier VX116124
www.magnum-pc.com (http://www.magnum-pc.com) Be sure.

JG52Karaya-X
01-16-2007, 02:01 AM
The MC.205SeriesIII is a formidable fighter now in 4.071, it doesnt spin as uncontrollable as in 404/405 and rolls better now too. I flew it yesterday on WCs and in one flight got 4 SpitIXs in it, the twin 20mms give it a nice one-pass-one-kill capability. Too bad though that all other 202s and 205s are rather useless because of their weak armament (which I'd rate even under the 2x7,92mm, 1x15mm of the 109F2), to me the Breda SAFAT HMGs just dont do any damage http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/Karaya/Black_Devil.gif (http://www.geocities.com/jg52thebutcherbirds/index1.html)
The tiger leaves no smell and doesn't make a sound, but you know he is there.
There is something in the shadows - it's the tiger waiting for you.

tigertalon
01-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
Too bad though that all other 202s and 205s are rather useless because of their weak armament (which I'd rate even under the 2x7,92mm, 1x15mm of the 109F2), to me the Breda SAFAT HMGs just dont do any damage http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Too bad though that all other 202s and 205s are rather useless because of their weak armament (which I'd rate even under the 2x7,92mm, 1x15mm of the 109F2), to me the Breda SAFAT HMGs just dont do any damage http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Yeah, they do seem weak, however I got a feeling last times, flying italian birds online whenever I can, that 12.7 SAFATS actually do carry considerable punch at extremely close range. Everything else and you are only wasting ammo, and warning your opponents. Some time ago I managed to cut the entire rear fuselage with a tail off an F4F online, shooting only from very close (not to warn him), like 50 meters or so. However, it was only 1 time instance and does not prove anything.

Another problem is, that a lot of people think that latest 202 (Mc202_XII I think) and early 205 sport 4 12.7 SAFATs. That's not true, wing mounted guns (if there are any) on Macchis are always the light, 7.7mm SAFAT (or 151/20 in case of late 205), despite their tracers look the same as 12.7mm SAFAT.

Yeah, BushRanger, just wait for '46, Macchis are another plane now. One of most pleasant surprises of '46.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<span class="ev_code_BLACK"><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">?In the size of the lie there is always contained a certain factor of credibility,

WWMaxGunz
01-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by white12:
Historical accounts I have read say the 205 in the right hands....

I hate it when I can't make something work when it's supposed to

Are you those 'right hands' that the sim is wrong or do you hate about not being those hands?

JG52Karaya-X
01-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by tigertalon:
Another problem is, that a lot of people think that latest 202 (Mc202_XII I think) and early 205 sport 4 12.7 SAFATs. That's not true, wing mounted guns (if there are any) on Macchis are always the light, 7.7mm SAFAT (or 151/20 in case of late 205), despite their tracers look the same as 12.7mm SAFAT.

Whats the difference between the SeriesVII and XII anyway (apart from camouflage)!? The Series I has just 2x12,7mms, the VII and XII have 2x12,7mm and 2x7,7mm, cockpit and performance seems identical.

I also wonder about the fact that the Italians during the serial production did not upgrade the Folgore with more powerful DB601 models as they became available but instead sticked to the old 601A with just 1175PS, the 601N or E would have been quite an improvement. The changes to engine-arrangement would have been minimal as the whole 601 family was very similar in shape, size and weight.

BirdieNum-nums
01-16-2007, 09:36 AM
What can I say? The MC.205SeriesIII is probably my favorite ac of '43. Last weekend, I fired one up on War Clouds or Winds of War (can't remember which) and bagged a P-51 in an almost head-on pass, then bagged a low flying Spit heading home, (using the Macchi's high speed dive to catch him) and THEN, climbed up after killing the Spit and followed a climbing P47 that had NO IDEA I was even behind him. I closed on him quite easily, leading me to believe that the Macchi outclimbs a P47. I fired all guns at 200 meters, but should have waited till I was at 100. I hit him hard, chopping up his elevator and rudder but he got away by diving in some clouds. Any other ac would have had WAY more damage! I was a bit upset for letting him get away! That would have been 3 kills in one sortie! It was definitely the most exciting sortie of the whole weekend of flying on Hyperlobby.

You've shown an interest in the 205. Stick with it, you'll be rewarded with its excellent abilities soon enough. Practice, practice, practice. It's also got one of the nicest cocpits in the game, with an excellent view. Maybe not so great from behind, however.

Cheers,
Birdie Num-nums

white12
01-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by white12:

Are you those 'right hands' that the sim is wrong or do you hate about not being those hands? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hate about not being "those hands". BUT, with the insight provided here, and much more practice, I'm sure I will be well on my way. Thanks kindly to all who responded with your valuable input. S!

XyZspineZyX
01-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by white12:

Are you those 'right hands' that the sim is wrong or do you hate about not being those hands? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max, my thoughts exactly. I ain't RT Smith, but I can fly his plane, y'know? Not everyone is an expert at everything they'd like to be expert at. That's why it's tougher to be a fighter pilot than a co-pilot. can't be the best at everything. I wish you could be. Then I'd be an engineertruckdriverwriterrockstar.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/clarkchampion.jpg
Flower of Scotland, will we see your like again?

JG53Frankyboy
01-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Whats the difference between the SeriesVII and XII anyway (apart from camouflage)!? ...........

the XII has an armoured windshield. its modeled in the 3D modell, not sure if its modeld in its DM calculation........