PDA

View Full Version : Somebody give me a quick history lesson on constantinople?

WastingMyTIM3
06-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Hey guys. I'm not much of a history person myself.
Wondering if any of you guys can tell me briefly the historical events in Constantinople?
I'm seeing all these terms "Ottoman","Byzantine" thrown around. I don't have a very deep knowledge of these things :P.

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 08:02 PM
The very basic summary is that it used to be the Byzantine's city, but the Ottomans took it over.

Long version: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/...ind-the-fiction.aspx (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/05/25/ac-revelations-the-truth-behind-the-fiction.aspx)

kriegerdesgottes
06-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Well it was Byzantium even before the Romans took it over and Constantine wanted to call it Nova Roma after he defeated the usurper maxintinius from rome and his ally who turned against him, he united all of rome again under his single rule and moved the capital of the empire to byzantium and it was then Constantinople for 1100 years. Then in 1453 the Turks had already taken all of the land surrounding Constantinople and they were having trouble actually taking the city until mehmed II finally took the city in 1453 and renamed it Istanbul and ended the eastern roman empire forever.

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Just to add to that, the reason they call it Constantinople in-game is because no-one was required by law to call it by the official name until a bit later.

Chamboozer
06-22-2011, 09:44 PM
The city began as a Greek settlement known as Byzantium sometime around the 7th Century BC. It was at various times an independant city, or ruled by the Persian Empire, or ruled by another Greek city. It was important because any ships passing from the Black Sea to the Mediterranean had to travel past it and whoever controlled Byzantium could tax those ships.

In the 1st Century BC it was annexed by the Roman Empire, and became a semi-important trading post. It didn't become a major city until Constantine I, the first Christian emperor made it his new capital to escape the beurocratic nightmare that was Rome. Byzantium was renamed to Constantinople and was given a large settler population. Later the Emperor Theodosius built large and strong walls which would keep all sorts of enemies from being able ot take the city, such as the Avars, Persians, Bulgars, Arabs, etc.

For 1,000 years after the Western Roman Empire fell to nomadic tribes, the Eastern Roman Empire remained intact with its capital in Constantinople. Most of the Roman Empire's remaining territory was lost to the Arabs in the 7th Century, and Constantinople became the last link between Chinese & Indian trade and Christian Europe. The vast majority of trade had to go through Muslim intermediaries.

The Eastern Roman Empire got another shock when the Seljuk Turkish empire destroyed their army and captured the emperor in the battle of Manzikert in 1071. Large numbers of Turkish tribes settled in Anatolia over the next three centuries, transforming the demographics from Greek Christian to Turkish Muslim. The Romans got control of the coastal areas of Anatolia again during the crusades but never again would they control the interior.

Around the same time a schism had occured within Christianity. The church split into two halves, the Latin Church (Catholics) in the west and the Greek Church (Orthodox) in the East. The Orthodox church was run by the Patriarch of Constantinople, a man appointed by the Roman Emperor. This religious split within Christendom created a lot of antagonism between East and West, and eventually resulted in the 4th Crusade.

In the year 1204 a crusade meant to attack Egypt was diverted instead to Constantinople, and the Catholics conquered the city and sacked it, taking a lot of treasures back to Italy and Venice in particular (you can see some of them in ACII). They set up a puppet kingdom called the Latin Empire with its capital in Constantinople. This empire was meant to rule Greece in the name of Catholicism but it did not last, and the Romans eventually took back Constantinople.

A couple decades after that, a Turkish tribe fleeing from the Mongol Empire settled in Western Anatolia, on the border of the Roman Empire. This tribe was led by a man named Osman, in the English language, his people were known as the Ottomans. During the 14th Century Osman and his descendants (Orhan I, Murad I, Bayezid I) conquered much of Anatolia and Europe, becoming famous for their raids on Roman Territory. They defeated the Bulgarian and Serbian Empires, and built fortresses on both sides of the Bosphorus, preventing ships from getting to Constantinople. The Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II (known as al-Fatih, the conquerer) captured Constantinople in a long siege, conquering it and ending the Roman Empire on May 29, 1453.

Mehmed II made Constantinople his new capital and set out to conquer more of Europe. He settled a large number of Jews, Turks, and Armenians in the city to live alongside the native Greek population. He even invaded Italy briefly in 1480, capturing the city of Otranto. However this invasion was cut short by his death and the civil war between his sons Bayezid and Jem.

After a long struggle Bayezid forced Jem out of the country and he was forced to take refuge with the Knights of St. John on Rhodes. From there he was sent to live with the Pope Alexander VI (whom you know from ACB as the Borgia Pope). Bayezid is the ruling Sultan at the Beginning of ACR and is known as Bayezid II. His reign was notable for the Shi'ite rebellion in Anatolia he had to crush, starting a chain of events which eventually resulted in war between his son and successor Selim I and the Persians.

Wow, looking back on it that wasn't very brief... My bad. XD

BingChandler
06-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Nice summary above.

A pity Suleiman the Magnificent won't make it into this game's timeframe... or will he?

Chamboozer
06-22-2011, 10:16 PM
He's around, but it's unlikely that we'll see his reign in anything other than an epilogue. At the start of the game he's the governor of the province of Kefe, which was basically Selim's base from which to wage civil war against his brother Ahmed in 1511 - same year the game starts.

I imagine the game will be mostly about this civil war. Historically the Janissaries sided with Selim, and the Safavids (Persians) tried to help Ahmed to win, with Selim ultimately winning and going on to conquer half of the Middle East (Including Masyaf, some significance there perhaps?).

The game would have to span 9 years for us to even see the beginning of Suleiman's reign. Maybe Ezio will decide he wants to grow old and die in Constantinople, and that will allow the game to extend that far. It would be a fitting ending, in my opinion.

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by BingChandler:
Nice summary above.

A pity Suleiman the Magnificent won't make it into this game's timeframe... or will he?

He's actually a major character, and kinda Ezio's protege.

BingChandler
06-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Chamboozer:
Maybe Ezio will decide he wants to grow old and die in Constantinople, and that will allow the game to extend that far. It would be a fitting ending, in my opinion.

Indeed, although that would make Ezio's journey to Maysaf somewhat more convoluted, IMO.

Just look at Titian's rendering of Suleiman, and tell me his headdress isn't ripe for Ubisoft to exploit with some heavy-handed PoE reference. "He's hiding the Apple in his turban" and such. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by BingChandler:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chamboozer:
Maybe Ezio will decide he wants to grow old and die in Constantinople, and that will allow the game to extend that far. It would be a fitting ending, in my opinion.

Indeed, although that would make Ezio's journey to Maysaf somewhat more convoluted, IMO.

Just look at Titian's rendering of Suleiman, and tell me his headdress isn't ripe for Ubisoft to exploit with some heavy-handed PoE reference. "He's hiding the Apple in his turban" and such. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, he's a good guy for one, and the POE they're trying to get is the one in MAsyaf. I doubt they'll have two in one game.

BingChandler
06-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BingChandler:
Nice summary above.

He's actually a major character, and kinda Ezio's protege. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That I had not heard, but the possibilities such a scenario would bring to the storyline seem wonderful.

Chamboozer
06-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Haha, the size of his turban was actually considered the most notable thing about him at the beginning of his reign, there's a lot of commentary about it in the Venetian ambassador's records. Though if I were Suleiman I would prefer to lock the PoE in the Seraglio, for obvious reasons. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

graffitimysoul
06-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Istanbul was Constantinople, now it's Istanbul. Not Constantinople.

(I'm sorry, I really couldn't help it)

mobiusoneffxi
06-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Before Constantinople(Refounded 11 May 330 AD), it was Bryzantium, Which was the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire, Constantine the Great renamed, it to Constantinople. When the Ottoman Empire conquered the city(1453 after the fall of the Eastern Roman empire), they renamed it to Istanbul.

And at the time, yes rome was really under the control of the Borgia family(historical fact)

Chamboozer
06-23-2011, 07:27 PM
He was quoting a song.

mobiusoneffxi
06-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Im trying to keep a short summary