PDA

View Full Version : Hispano or Browning

Acersales
04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi!

If you were given the opportunity to choose between a F4U-1C and a F4U-1D, wich one would you choose and why?

Remember the 1C has 4x Hispano II, 250rpg and 23 secs, whereas the 1D has 6x Browning M2 .5, at 400 and 375rpm and 32secs

XyZspineZyX
04-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Commonality of weapons onboard a ship would mean easier and more regular maintainance, more ammo availablity, and less hassles with re-supply of parts, qualified technical help, and ammo

.50s work just fine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

VW-IceFire
04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Although less common the F4U-1C has awesome hitting power that you can certainly use in the fast paced dogfights of the 1945 variety. I voted for that one but its a toss up...I feel the F4U-1D is a bit nicer in a turn and the .50cals are definitely easier to lead as I find you're commonly leading Japanese planes in a sharp turn.

horseback
04-17-2007, 02:27 PM
In actual practice, Hispano cannon on the F4U-1C were less than reliable, especially at higher alts. Fifty cals were more than sufficient against the vast majority of Japanese aircraft, quite reliable AND they gave you more firing time.

In game, the Hispanos work at their ideal specs, and a good shot receives the benefit of their greater hitting power. Conversely, the in game .50 is less effective because the cooling, hydraulic and structural systems that they most often damaged are not part of the damage model.

So in a real life situation, I take the fifties. In the game, I take the 20mm.

cheers

horseback

TAW_Oilburner
04-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by horseback:
In actual practice, Hispano cannon on the F4U-1C were less than reliable, especially at higher alts. Fifty cals were more than sufficient against the vast majority of Japanese aircraft, quite reliable AND they gave you more firing time.

In game, the Hispanos work at their ideal specs, and a good shot receives the benefit of their greater hitting power. Conversely, the in game .50 is less effective because the cooling, hydraulic and structural systems that they most often damaged are not part of the damage model.

cheers

horseback

Ditto. In addition, we don't have HE ammo in game which would make a huge difference in the Pacific Theatre.

rafaellorena
04-17-2007, 05:09 PM
in the game... 4 sure the hispano.. halfsecond shot can broke the enemy in half.. the .50 need some shots to down the enemy =/ .. is like the spitfire... i must shot the taget +- 3s to down the guy if i have luck

Rattler68
04-17-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm not interested in any of the real life comparisons. I always take a cannon armed plane over a mg armed one. I've never taken out an enemy plane with a 1/2 second burst of mg. I've often disintegrated an enemy plane with cannon-fire.

tigertalon
04-18-2007, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by horseback:

+1

Originally posted by TAW_Oilburner:
In addition, we don't have HE ammo in game which would make a huge difference in the Pacific Theatre.

Actually it's incendiary ammo that's missing. Current .50 cals ammo sequence is

APIT - AP - HE - AP

so only one out of 4 is incendiary tracer (or HE). I'd be more than happy to replace all my AP rounds with incendiary ones in the PTO.

tools4foolsA
04-18-2007, 04:31 AM
i must shot the taget +- 3s to down the guy if i have luck

You either shoot from to far and/or don't hit at all.
0,50 are deadly. And super deadly on Japanese paper planes (Zero, Ki-43). Be sure.

0,50 are better (for japanese planes) as they have more ammo, better to lead target in turn as already mentioned, and are very capable in brining any enemy down if use properly (if you actually do hit the bugger...)

If you think you need that big 'boom' and thorn off wings then you better take 20mm.
O,50 do that less often.

Conversely, the in game .50 is less effective because the cooling, hydraulic and structural systems that they most often damaged are not part of the damage model.

DM is les than perfect in Il-2 but not so bad either. Indeed you can bring down planes with doing 'lesser' damage, but of course it won't expolde right away. If I see a plane trailing slight smoke in a battle far from airfields I know he will not make it back. No need to go after him anymore, get the next one.
Sooner or later you will get the 'enemy plane detroyed' msg. Of course that would be only a probable or a damaged in real life...

There's a lot of arcade games out there where planes blow up in big bangs never mind if shot by 20mm or 0,50. If that's what you need go and play those games.
++++

tigertalon
04-18-2007, 06:43 AM
tools4fools, it's not about exploding, ripping wings off etc, it's about setting fuel tanks on fire. As long as <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">on average</span> you need 5 times more .50 cal hits compared to .30 cal hits into the enemy fuel tank in order to set it on fire, it's wrong.

(I emphasised 'on average' coz I expect a scrshot or video of exploding zeke from a single .50 cals in less than a minute.)

Regarding ability to do structural damage, yes, .50s are deadly. Not so at setting fuel tanks on fire.

Discussed into the bits (with scrshots, tracks, video clips) here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5481011725?r=5481011725#5481011725).

EDIT: I find it interesting that most people who insist .50cals are deadly never even fly planes with light MGs vs japanese planes. The effect of hurri 8 light MGs on japanese planes is exactly what I'd expect from heavy MG equipped plane like JUG.

tools4foolsA
04-18-2007, 06:58 AM
it's not about exploding, ripping wings off etc,

Not for you, but if I read majority of above for them it is!

it's about setting fuel tanks on fire. As long as on average you need 5 times more .50 cal hits compared to .30 cal hits into the enemy fuel tank in order to set it on fire, it's wrong.

Indeed wrong - either one to effective or other one not effective enough. Agree here.

My point was more a comment to stuff like this:

i must shot the taget +- 3s to down the guy if i have luck

If in a 6 0,50cal plane you need 3sec (AND LUCK!) burst to down a Zero, Oscar or even a Frank, then you shooting is off or you are too far away... or a combo of both...

lowfighter
04-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I like the .50 more because I like to torture the victim longer. If it's a lone zero I'd try to aim as badly as possible, still those planes are so flamable that I don't succeed all the time.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif