PDA

View Full Version : New Guinea map

Timberwolf52
03-17-2007, 11:29 AM
I am sure that it is quite difficult for maps to be built. I also know there is no map builder for the game. So this leads me to my questions....

Can we get a new map of New Guinea? The New Guinea map that was provided with the game is a section of New Guinea that saw some action but not a lot of action. The area in and around Hollandia, Dutch New Guinea was where the most action took place during the actual war.

Units such as the 312th Bomb Group were stationed in Hollandia and hit targets from Wewak to Biak Island. The northern and northwest coasts of Dutch New Guinea were the site of serious action and fighting.

If you need more information I would highly recommend the book Wreaking Havoc: A year in an A-20. The author spent Aug of 1944 until Jan 45 stationed at Hollandia with the 389th Squadron of the 312th Bomb Group. They flew B-25's and A-20 Havoc's from there. There were several other bomber and fighter units stationed in the area.

Also see here...
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/provinces/irian.html

Just a question and request. Not a demand of course.

Timberwolf52
03-17-2007, 11:29 AM
I am sure that it is quite difficult for maps to be built. I also know there is no map builder for the game. So this leads me to my questions....

Can we get a new map of New Guinea? The New Guinea map that was provided with the game is a section of New Guinea that saw some action but not a lot of action. The area in and around Hollandia, Dutch New Guinea was where the most action took place during the actual war.

Units such as the 312th Bomb Group were stationed in Hollandia and hit targets from Wewak to Biak Island. The northern and northwest coasts of Dutch New Guinea were the site of serious action and fighting.

If you need more information I would highly recommend the book Wreaking Havoc: A year in an A-20. The author spent Aug of 1944 until Jan 45 stationed at Hollandia with the 389th Squadron of the 312th Bomb Group. They flew B-25's and A-20 Havoc's from there. There were several other bomber and fighter units stationed in the area.

Also see here...
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/provinces/irian.html

Just a question and request. Not a demand of course.

Tater-SW-
03-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Great book.

The PF map choices were quite frankly abysmal. No new maps are forthcoming.

Sad thng is that even if the current "New Guinea" map (really Papua), was done well, it would be a good stand in for the interesting bits (Wewak, Boram, Lae, etc). As it was built, with the absurd mile wide coastal plain. What to say, words fail me.

Too bad Ian (author (with great help from a few others!) of most of the good maps) wasn't interested in the SWPA.

tater

GerritJ9
03-19-2007, 02:55 AM
I seem to recall that the FB/PF engine limits the maximum size of maps, and in the SE Asia/Pacific theatre distances were vast compared to Europe so the current engine can't handle the map size required. Having said that, the choice for and execution of PF's maps does leaves something to be desired, the Burma map being one of the exceptions.

Tater-SW-
03-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Not true, actually. What's been posted is that the limit is one of manpower. Even if it was, these shapes are existing map sizes superimposed over the SWPA:

http://members.spinn.net/~merrick/Stuff/Maps/New-Guinea-Map3.jpg

XyZspineZyX
03-19-2007, 09:53 AM
There were several inherent problems with the execution of PF, having nothing to do with making aircraft, by the way

As I talk to more and more people who participated in PF, I read things like "was unaware of", "didn't know about", and so on

I don't know what happened, a tight schedule, misunderstandings about the scope of the project,poor planning, I don't know. Some things did not shape up the way they should have, such as the maps

LEBillfish
03-19-2007, 02:14 PM
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/new_guinea/

Hollandia sounds kewl, yet really Around Wewak (But, Dauga, Wewak, Boram) would be awesome though if you look at that topo alone it's much more complex then we realize.....Besides, jes ain't happnin though one i'd like most.

Take Tater-SW's farthest W. green square and slide it E.S.E. to Wewak which would gather up New Britain or much of it.....Awesome...However consider the size of what we have now (lowest red rectangle)...

Doubt we'll see the day....

Tater-SW-
03-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Too bad lateral thinking was not part of their skill set. Rotate NG counterclockwise a little and make the map the coast with mostly open ocean "north" (really "up"). Zero roads. Jungle to coast except target town areas. Low manpower.

sigh.

Skoshi Tiger
03-22-2007, 10:53 PM
"Mile wide coast" - I love the 500 metre wide Kokoda Track that runs through the center. IRL the track was a native walking trail cut out of the jungle by machette, that linked the villages inbetween Kokoda and Port Morsby. It took 5 days hard marching to travel 90 km between the two ends( or 20 odd minutes by air). When you look at the tail in the game you drive a saloon car along it!

My dad was one of the AIF soldiers of the 2/16th that had to slog along the track with 60 lbs packs.

stansdds
03-23-2007, 04:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hide Post
There were several inherent problems with the execution of PF, having nothing to do with making aircraft, by the way </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The truth is that the Pacific theater holds no interest for Oleg, therefore there will be no additional maps and I expect any further additions to IL2 will be in the Europe or Eastern Front theaters. I'm not holding my breath for a Pacific theater add on for SoW:BoB either.

Tater-SW-
03-23-2007, 08:20 AM
As 3d party mapmakers have shown, the limits of the map making engine were not remotely pushed by the people making maps. The primary problem was (as I see it) lack of knowledge about the pacific war, a lack of focus on what the engine did well, and what maps would be most generally useful, and poor (abysmal?) management of the project (maps made for ships that never got done, simple maps left out for stuff the game had done, devs impossible to get a hold of (I remember seeing posts in the forum about making new planes where they were desperate to get feedback and no one would return emails, etc), etc).