PDA

View Full Version : A neat observation - F4u-1c

roybaty
11-03-2004, 08:00 PM
I was playin around in the QMB, and ran a few AAA strafing runs. I took a few hits, but noticed no serious damage.

So I return home, line up the runway, and deploy my flaps, throttle, back, decrease pitch, lower gear...or not??

I keep mashing on my HOTAS button mapped to the gearto no avail, I then hit the "G" key on the keyboard still no luck. I double check game keymap settings, they check out. Then I mash the manual gear button and the gear deploys!

I set up another run in the QMB and deployed the gear normally with no damage.

Does Pacific Fighters model hydraulics damage (did the f4u even use hydraulics for the gear)

roybaty
11-03-2004, 08:00 PM
I was playin around in the QMB, and ran a few AAA strafing runs. I took a few hits, but noticed no serious damage.

So I return home, line up the runway, and deploy my flaps, throttle, back, decrease pitch, lower gear...or not??

I keep mashing on my HOTAS button mapped to the gearto no avail, I then hit the "G" key on the keyboard still no luck. I double check game keymap settings, they check out. Then I mash the manual gear button and the gear deploys!

I set up another run in the QMB and deployed the gear normally with no damage.

Does Pacific Fighters model hydraulics damage (did the f4u even use hydraulics for the gear)

VW-IceFire
11-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Yep. Thats happened to me on Mustangs and on other aircraft as well.

It doesn't happen often but usually occurs due to flak or taking a hit on the underbelly.

J_Weaver
11-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Yea, that happens to me every now and then.
I know they can be shot off the plane completely but I wonder about being jamed to the point they won't lower at all? (kinda like lowering the flaps at too fast)

I alway found it fun to try to nurse a wounded plane home, having no gear or only one is icing on the cake. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

stansdds
11-04-2004, 04:11 AM
On real American aircraft, at least after the F4F Wildcat, the landing gear is raised and lowered by hydraulic systems, so damage to the hydraulic pumps, lines or fluid tank would result in stuck gear. Fighters usually had a bottle of compressed CO2 that would blow the gear down and lock them in place.

llandaff
11-04-2004, 04:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does Pacific Fighters model hydraulics damage (did the f4u even use hydraulics for the gear) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never happened to me in D3A Val http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)) No worry about landing gear hydraulics.

ELEM
11-04-2004, 05:35 AM
This has been a feature since IL-2. System damage is modelled whether it's Hydraulic, Pneumatic or Electric.

roybaty
11-04-2004, 06:26 AM
Hmmm, funny, I never observed this in IL2, FB, or AEP, nice feature though! I was especially surprised that they allowed for manually deploying the gear, nice touch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-04-2004, 06:39 AM
The Corsair had the option of being able to "blow" the gear down with CO2 in the event there was damage to the activation system to deploy it. Once down, it could not be raised but it sure beats having to belly it in.

JG51Beolke
11-04-2004, 06:57 AM
It certainly does. I was coming back to the Carrier once in a Hellcat and noticed only one of my wheels deployed. Oh my God, I had to land on a Carrier with only 1 wheel. It made for an interesting landing. I hade to decide whether to make a belly landing with my hook down, land with one wheel , or ditch in the ocean. Pretty Cool.........

Bearcat99
11-04-2004, 07:06 AM
I have even had one gear come down.... its pretty cool if you ask me.

Dash_8
11-04-2004, 07:16 AM
I have also experienced a hydraulic system failure on a F4U-c. It was during online play in which I got a kill but was damaged in the process. Little did I know how bad the damage was until I was approching my carrier. I hit the tailhook, flaps to land, and G for gear and was turning final on the carrier. Then I noticed it would slow down like it usually would in this configuration, so I started to see if I missed something. Turns out the gear would not extend normally so there I am on short final using the manual gear extend and waiting for it to get down and locked. It locked and I made a fair trap.

That was the first time I had realized this was in the damage model. This series of games never ceases to amaze me.

Takata_
11-04-2004, 10:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yeah, it happened to me quiet often with my Żber F4U-1C : I'm over-looping one of those stupid Zeke jockey and comming back from his high six, close enough to see the scared face of the no-skilled noob, I just press the trigger and a couple of rounds later, he's wiped out of earth surface. Pulling up and still laughing about that, I feel my plane hit by the noob close blowing up. Then back home, I can't release my gear and belly land, loosing 30% of my ten kills that make me so mad... Oleg please, add some good armor to my F4U-1C belly or I quit playing this *** game!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VMF214_Pappy aka "the good guy".

Waldo.Pepper
11-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Next time it happens try using your airbrakes and see what happens.

Korbelz
11-04-2004, 03:21 PM
lol speaking of airbrakes in the corsair...

i saw that when i deployed the airbrakes the gear came out...so i decided to land on a carrier with airbrakes instead of using the gear. but i failed to see that the airbrakes don't lower your tailwheel and hence no hook either..

the second i touched down on the deck i knew something was wrong right away LOL...i very quickly ended of off the side of the carrier in my little life raft http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Hades_Dragon
11-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Divebrakes on the Corsair means dropping the main gear. Tailwheel doesn't drop though, as it wasn't rated for high speeds.

Waldo.Pepper
11-05-2004, 09:18 AM
What I'm getting at is that maybe you will get around having to pump (i.e. press the manual gear down) so many times. In effect a cheat.

BinaryFalcon
11-05-2004, 09:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I know they can be shot off the plane completely but I wonder about being jamed to the point they won't lower at all? (kinda like lowering the flaps at too fast) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had it happen to me, at least in a Yak. I sucked up a few hits from the rear gunners of a couple of 110s, but aside from being very slightly wounded it didn't seem to do much to me.

When I finally got back to the airfield to land, I lined up, dropped the flaps and hit the gear. Got nothing. Tried again, still nothing.

I'm on very short final at this point so I start hitting the manual gear button as rapidly as I can. Down to full flaps and floating down the runway in slow flight about 20 feet AGL and the gear still wouldn't come down. At all.

Full power, postive rate, flaps up and fly an extended upwind to depart the pattern as I sort it out. The gear are stuck completely. Nothing I did could get them to come down. So I brought it around again, cut the engine and gently bellied it in on the runway.

That's the only time I've ever completely lost the gear without having them torn off. Prior to that I've had them fail on a regular extension, but never with a manual/emergency extension.

As a random side note, the one time I've done an emergency gear drop on a real aircraft I was surprised at how quickly it came down. Normally the motor and hydraulics took 5-7 seconds to deploy the gear. Pulling the emergency drop lever (which dumped all the hydraulic pressure holding the gear up) had them down and locked in under a second. Just pull, *THUD*, 3 green, no red. It was pretty cool. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif