PDA

View Full Version : OT: 35 pence anyone?

SeaFireLIV
07-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Had to do the shopping today. man, do I hate shopping (unless it`s for Pc stuff that is).

Anyway got the groceries and for the first time in years I miscalculated (I always overestimate to be safe)...

Anyway, I was 35 pence down. A queue behind me, 2 cahsiers in front.

"Damn. 35pence down," I said. I had soley bought 50 in cash, all change left at home. A mistake I don`t usually make. oh well.

Silence...

For some reason I felt bolshy and said, "No one can pay 35 pence?"

Silence, there was even an embarassed air. I actually didn`t feel embarrassed, just annoyed.

So I sacrificed the strawberry sauce.

2 months ago I paid for a lady at the till who was 40 pence down. She was very grateful, I thought it was nothing. What`s 40 pence?

Quite a lot apparently. Guess that`s the difference between me and the public.

Or maybe I just have the personal magnetism of a bulldog. Yea that`s it.

Yea, off topic, but what a sad world.

SeaFireLIV
07-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Had to do the shopping today. man, do I hate shopping (unless it`s for Pc stuff that is).

Anyway got the groceries and for the first time in years I miscalculated (I always overestimate to be safe)...

Anyway, I was 35 pence down. A queue behind me, 2 cahsiers in front.

"Damn. 35pence down," I said. I had soley bought 50 in cash, all change left at home. A mistake I don`t usually make. oh well.

Silence...

For some reason I felt bolshy and said, "No one can pay 35 pence?"

Silence, there was even an embarassed air. I actually didn`t feel embarrassed, just annoyed.

So I sacrificed the strawberry sauce.

2 months ago I paid for a lady at the till who was 40 pence down. She was very grateful, I thought it was nothing. What`s 40 pence?

Quite a lot apparently. Guess that`s the difference between me and the public.

Or maybe I just have the personal magnetism of a bulldog. Yea that`s it.

Yea, off topic, but what a sad world.

JG52Uther
07-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Most people just think of themselves these days .Sad but true where I live.When we moved into our new housing estate,first thing everyone did is put up 6 ft fences around their gardens.
As a sidenote I would not ask anyone for money.If I did not have enough,I would just put something back.I never use credit cards,or even debit cards in a shop.Cash or nothing for me.

leitmotiv
07-16-2007, 05:28 AM
That's pathetic. Lot of tight jerks.

SeaFireLIV
07-16-2007, 05:32 AM
Tell me about it, in my new premises no one wants to talk or know the neighbours. My daughters went around to say `Hello!` to the neighbours and got silence to `not interested` and a slammed door.

It was never like this 20 years ago.

Well I don`t ask normally, but I just found hard to believe no one wanted to get the queue moving on such a paltry amount, and like I said , I felt bolshy, probably because I knew I`d helped someone before and probably felt I was owed, which was silly, I guess.

It just seemed so small. But I guess I just expect too much. I heard someone got beaten up recently while a crowd of 40 people looked on and took pictures with their mobile... in that kind of world why should I expect anything more?

leitmotiv
07-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Nope. Pathetic.

ploughman
07-16-2007, 05:52 AM
I'm lucky enough to live in a community where everyone says hello to one another, it's like an episode of Little House on the Prairie sometimes with hearty bon jours being exchanged hither and thither. If I get my s wrong the shop keeper says pay 'em next time I'm in. I never do though, suckers.

K_Freddie
07-16-2007, 06:10 AM
The problem is that there are to many people asking for Freebies nowdays, so nobody gives a dime, 1P. One cannot blame them, and yes you did the right thing in sacrificing the juice.

If I was in that queue, I'd definitely speak up.
"No chance fella, Put the strawberry juice back on the shelf." http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

leitmotiv
07-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Depends on where you go, definitely. Knew a lot of people in London who seemed to delight in making things as hellish as possible for as many as possible. Mass misery proved the species was depraved, and put a glow in their cheeks. There were a lot of helpful critters who made life endurable otherwise it would have been like the Battle of Berlin. In the States people are getting worked so hard they are miserable, and that makes for a lot of gnarly people. Some people are so damned busy they spin like tops constantly. In fact, they would get neurotic if they weren't constantly in motion.

SeaFireLIV
07-16-2007, 06:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K_Freddie:
The problem is that there are to many people asking for Freebies nowdays, so nobody gives a dime, 1P. One cannot blame them, and yes you did the right thing in sacrificing the juice.

If I was in that queue, I'd definitely speak up.
"No chance fella, Put the strawberry juice back on the shelf." http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I expected that kind of response and expect many more.

Too many people asking freebies? Hmmm. 35p freebie? Somehow I suspect your statement has been said a zillion times from the dawn of history and will in the future. I guess that`s why the story of the good samaritan still holds true today.

The good thing is, if I see a person who obviously is genuine and needs 35p or similar small amount, I will not deny them.

By the way, I don`t give money to just anyone, as there are a lot of conmen and women out there. had a woman once who tricked a little cash out of me once, her mistake was she tried the same thing again, but didn`t recognise me cos I`d shaved and was dressed casual. I gave her a lesson I can tell you.

I`ve also seen tramps begging who I know have a home and are claming benefits. these kind of con people I have a righteous anger against. Indeed.

But I will always stop and help people who genuinely need it. I will not ignore them and walk to the other side if at all possible.

One day WE may need it ourselves.

Worf101
07-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Sigh...

I can't tell you how many times I've coughed up for folks down a few. Guess it's just the "sucker" in me. I've always felt we're kinda in this thing "together". You're not looking to move in, ya just need a few sheckles.. what's the harm in that?

Da Worfster

M_Gunz
07-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Sounds like you've moved somewhere near New York.
And not everywhere there is so bad as that.
I'd have pulled the change out just to get the line moving.

The ones I don't have money for are the every time you see them bums, they want money for
cigarettes like it's my duty or something.

BUT there's much bigger scams with much richer bums. I've had to stop giving money for
police, firemen and even the paralyzed veterans since THEY might see 1 out of 10 to 20
what is donated. That's right, make $60,000+ a year collecting for "charity" and go
around with your head in the air about your "honest job", looking down on others!
Just get yourself a group that really needs help and that's the ticket to make YOU rich.

I started asking how much actually went to the people it's collected for. That's a legal
question, they lie about that then it's actionable. When they act proud to say that they
give the minimum of 10% is when I hang up.

OTOH, if I got the change then sure, I can see you've been honestly caught short.

mrsiCkstar
07-16-2007, 07:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Tell me about it, in my new premises no one wants to talk or know the neighbours. My daughters went around to say `Hello!` to the neighbours and got silence to `not interested` and a slammed door. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh I'm like that. well I'm not as bad. I like being by myself, always have and always will. I'm not interested in knowing my neighbours or being friends, throwing barbecues and having beers etc etc...

although if someone comes to me to say hello I'll say hello back and be nice etc, there's no reason to be rude. I never slam doors on anyone... but I just never make the effort to get to know my neighbours or whatever. I've got nothing against anyone and it's not because I don't like them, it's just not important to me at all.

anyway it's a bit OT but just thought you'd like to hear one of the sour and grumpy neighbour's view hehe.

B16Enk
07-16-2007, 07:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Uther:When we moved into our new housing estate,first thing everyone did is put up 6 ft fences around their gardens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So your reputation preceded you Uther http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Joking aside it is sad how insular people are, always makes me smile when in some shops you see a little jar of cash just for those times when some one is a few pence short.

GBrutus
07-16-2007, 07:49 AM
People do tend to be a little cynical when a stranger asks for money. I know I'm more cautious when giving away my money especially since there have been a few fake charities operating in my area. However, I try to judge people on an individual basis and if someone was 35p short for their groceries then I would give it to them.

SeaFireLIV
07-16-2007, 08:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsiCkstar:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Tell me about it, in my new premises no one wants to talk or know the neighbours. My daughters went around to say `Hello!` to the neighbours and got silence to `not interested` and a slammed door. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh I'm like that. well I'm not as bad. I like being by myself, always have and always will. I'm not interested in knowing my neighbours or being friends, throwing barbecues and having beers etc etc...

although if someone comes to me to say hello I'll say hello back and be nice etc, there's no reason to be rude. I never slam doors on anyone... but I just never make the effort to get to know my neighbours or whatever. I've got nothing against anyone and it's not because I don't like them, it's just not important to me at all.

anyway it's a bit OT but just thought you'd like to hear one of the sour and grumpy neighbour's view hehe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol.

I understand, and to be honest I`m a private man myself (being an artist, I hate too many interruptions), but it`s in the best interest of every neighbour to know who his next door neighbour. One, you can always catch up on the info on how things are around an area, news, etc and more importantly, they (and you) will know if any dodgy stranger gets in or out of the premises since you`ll know who your neighbour is - useful if on Holiday or just out.

Pure collective safe common sense.

I guess it just takes time these days for people to trust.

p.s My daughter went back and got the strawberry sauce! I think she wanted to have an argument with the cashier! LOL.

Ernst_Rohr
07-16-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't get folks some times.

People whine and moan about how modern society has become isolated, and caring, and cold, but do they do anything about it? Nope.

I would have given you the 35p. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A few years ago, I ran into a young single mom in tough straights. She had just started a new job, had just moved to town and the motel she was at was giving her a hard time about paying up front for her stay or they were going to kick her and her two kids out onto the street.

She asked them to give her two days, till she got her first check, and offered to post date a check and offered up collateral. Manager refused. It wasnt a lot of money either, just sixty bucks.

Basically, this guy was just being a complete ******* to this poor girl. To be honest, I think it was racially motivated.

I gave her the forty bucks I had on me and the poor girl broke down, she even offered to clean my house! (which I refused)

In the grand scheme of things, even if it was a scam (and a damn convincing one), I am only out forty dollars. At the time I blew that on dinner and drinks most evenings.

If on the other hand I actually helped out some poor girl who was trying the best to get by and do better for herself and her kids, then it was money well spent IMO. If I could help someone with so little effort on my part, then why not?

LStarosta
07-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Three words:

Five finger discount.

JG52Uther
07-16-2007, 09:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B16Enk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Uther:When we moved into our new housing estate,first thing everyone did is put up 6 ft fences around their gardens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So your reputation preceded you Uther http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Joking aside it is sad how insular people are, always makes me smile when in some shops you see a little jar of cash just for those times when some one is a few pence short. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think its all my police friends coming round that disturbs them (and yes,they really are my friends http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

foxyboy1964
07-16-2007, 10:36 AM
If you'd just spent 50 quid you would think the guy would say "I'll get it next time". Sounds like a tight git.

@ Uther...do they turn up in the company cars? Thats bound to raise a few eyebrows http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hydra454
07-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Ya know,it might sound weird.But here in South Dakota you see alot of people do things for complete strangers all the time out of good will.

Heck,just earlier today I pulled over to help a woman change a car tire http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif She offered to pay me 50 bucks for doing it for her,but I said no thanks.

Friendly gestures are a rarity though in most all places of the world.Thats what makes them worth mentioning when you do see them occur.

K_Freddie
07-16-2007, 01:17 PM
As you say.. lots of con-people raking it in on peoples generosity. So how does one recognise the genuine one ?

I draw a blanket decision - Help yourself by organising your life and not living beyond your means. If you cannot afford it, don't buy it.
Do not make your problems my problems..etc.
You have plenty friends until money parts hands.

A lot will say it's only money, blah blah blah, but society's stoneage bartering has developed into money exchange and it's a means of surviving the rat-race we live in. I don't expect anyone to support my standard of living, and I will certainly not support theirs.

I will help them help themselves, but no money, etc.. exchange. I they do not want to help themselves, I give them the boot...

Ahh life is so simple http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MEGILE
07-16-2007, 01:40 PM
if you were hot blonde and 19, I would have considerd it.

LStarosta
07-16-2007, 02:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
if you were hot blonde and 19, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like me? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

thefruitbat
07-16-2007, 02:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K_Freddie:
As you say.. lots of con-people raking it in on peoples generosity. So how does one recognise the genuine one ?

I draw a blanket decision - Help yourself by organising your life and not living beyond your means. If you cannot afford it, don't buy it.
Do not make your problems my problems..etc.
You have plenty friends until money parts hands.

A lot will say it's only money, blah blah blah, but society's stoneage bartering has developed into money exchange and it's a means of surviving the rat-race we live in. I don't expect anyone to support my standard of living, and I will certainly not support theirs.

I will help them help themselves, but no money, etc.. exchange. I they do not want to help themselves, I give them the boot...

Ahh life is so simple http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

while i understand your point, someone at a checkout, with a full load of shopping, who is 35p short is unlikely to be a con artist.

or less they are a really **** one.

if i'd of been there, i would off given a stranger 35p.

I can remember back in my student days not sooo many years ago, driving back from uni, running out of petrol and money about 70 miles from home.

I went in to the garage, to see if they would go for using my mum's card down the phone. As i was talking to them, and not getting v.much, a truck driver who was behind me, heard where i was going. He knew where i wanted to go was close to where he had to go, but he wasn't sure exactley, so he payed for my petrol, for showing him where it was.

I offered to return the money, but he had none of it.

Ok, i know he got something out off it, but he would off been able to ask directions for free nearer.

Their has been many other times in my life, particurlay when i bummed around for 2 years backpacking, that random acts of kindness, sometimes of staggering depth have been bestowed upon me.

Because i know how it made me feel, and although i dont go out of my way by any means, i find it hard to ignore someone who needs help, espescially if it is going to cost me a mars bar.

If you think that is a soft attitude, i will add that i have seen the biggest **** i know, do the right thing when it really mattered, which probally suprised him more than anyone else.

cheers fruitbat

cheers fruitbat

Stew278
07-16-2007, 02:51 PM
I'd probably help someone in that kind of situation out if I had spare change. Everyone has bad luck once and awhile and it really helps when someone lends a hand.

What bothers me is beggars that come up to you with some lame story asking for handouts and get belligerent when you don't give them anything.
There are a ton of beggars in my neighborhood. I won't give any of them money mostly for my own safety. Unfortunately there are muggers here that will approach you pretending to be a panhandler and then pull a gun or knife when they get up close. The city was actually debating giving photo ID's to register beggars. Sometimes I'll run into the same dude with the same story a few weeks in a row. It's people like that who make me reluctant to help anyone.

Monterey13
07-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Worf101 wrote:
"I can't tell you how many times I've coughed up for folks down a few. Guess it's just the "sucker" in me. I've always felt we're kinda in this thing "together". You're not looking to move in, ya just need a few sheckles.. what's the harm in that?"

You hit in on the head. I live in an area(West Tennessee), where everyone waves at each other when they pass on the road, whether they know them or not. If you break down on the road, someone will always stop by to offer help. My neighbors and I all help each other out when needed. There is a "take a penny, leave a penny" cup at every checkout. People are willing to help each other in time of need.

Sure, some are gonna get suckered, but the satisfaction of thinking you were helping out, doing your part is priceless.

I myself, do it through my own means. I have been a Volunteer Firefighter for 9 years, and a Volunteer Emergency Medical Technician for over 3 years. We all need to work together on this earth, and learn how to live together.

Hell yes, I would've given you the 35 pence, whatever that is. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

SeaFireLIV
07-16-2007, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
if you were hot blonde and 19, I would have considerd it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you mean my situation, she was indeed blond and hot. I`d just come off the train and leaving the station when she came all tearful at me about her boyfriend leaving her 10 miles behind and she needed fare to get back home.

Of course, she knows that most men can`t resist the `damsel in distress` trick and I fell for it of course.

The second time I didn`t.

Just goes to show, you`ve gotta be more on your guard with the very pretty ones.

NAFP_supah
07-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Heh I once paid this old drunk guy's ticket at the station after a vilage party. He was too drunk to use the machine to pay by his bankcard and he couldnt remember his code so I just used mine. Better him on a train with a ticket then him milling about on a train station perhaps falling on the tracks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

danjama
07-16-2007, 05:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NAFP_supah:
He was too drunk to use the machine to pay by his bankcard and he couldnt remember his code so I just used mine. Better him on a train with a ticket then him milling about on a train station perhaps falling on the tracks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're a good person. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

han freak solo
07-16-2007, 07:14 PM
If people don't ask for money and I can tell they are in a tight spot, I'll give 'em what I can.

When they come up and ask me on the street, I'm broke for sure.

Fer instance, I'm standing in line at the local corner convenience store with a 12 pack of brew when the guy in front of me getting a 6 pack of his own is about 80 cents short. I can tell this is gonna slow me down at the register so I quickly hand him a dollar while telling him he can pay me back next time. I know I'll never see him again just because there's about 2 million of us within the city limits.

So, I gave him $1 mostly because I was in a hurry and definitely because he didn't ask anyone for it. I'm a bastid I suppose. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

ploughman
07-17-2007, 03:16 AM
I helped a girl out in India once (heheheh,no such luck). She was having a melt down hissy screaming fit in a bank at some horrified looking clerk because the bank didn't cash her mark of Traveller's Cheques which meant she was flat broke and 300 miles from the nearest bank that did. So I gave her $100 so she could buy train tickets to get to Delhi where she could get some $$$$s and I also gave her my home address so she could pay me back when she got back to the UK (she was a Brit like what I is). Talk about relieved, she was weeping with thanks and the clerk was pretty pleased too as at least she wasn't screaming at him anymore.

Natty cow hasn't even sent me a postcard.

SeaFireLIV
07-17-2007, 03:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ploughman:

Natty cow hasn't even sent me a postcard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here`s one that i`ve not mentioned before.

My X and I, when we were married had just come off the plane at heathrow after holiday. For some reason we were arguing. I stuck the baby in the back. She said something about driving off and I said, "Fine. Go."

Well she did.

I thought, she`ll be back, in that manly confident manner.

10 minutes later...

ok...

Fine. I`ll walk back home, I thought.

Home was about 100 miles away. My cards, money, jacket everything was in the car. I had just the shirt on my back.

But I was 24, young, confident, naive.

`I`ll just walk it back. It`ll take a while but i`ll make it,` I thought.

It took me half an hour just getting out the enormous car park! And slowly the arduous task ahead of me began to sink in.

Then a security guy saw me just leaving the entrance to the carpark, maybe he`d been watching me the whole time, I dunno. He stopped me and asked what I was doing. I simply told him the truth and that I was now walking home.

`You`ll never make it on foot.` he said in an Aussie accent.

To my amazement he took me to a m8 of his at the nearby Coach travel and explained my story to the coach driver. The coach driver agreed to drive me for free halfway to the destination (cos that was as far as he was going), then I`d somehow have to make my own way back.

Well, I got half way there which was Oxford coach station and the driver rather than just dropping me off, then explained my situation to the other driver`s lounging around. Then I simply explained I had no money because my wife had driven off after an argument. I explained I knew no one in Oxford and I still had 50 miles to go, if someone could lend me the coach fare to my destination I`d pay them back. Honest.

`Nah. Don`t trust him.` One coach driver said, right in front of my face.

`He has an honest face,` said another, older looking coach driver, `As long as you pay me back, I`ll get you the ticket.`

This driver paid for my ticket. I jumped on the coach and got back home by midnight, where I made up with my wife. I was also made a prayer thanking God too!

Anyway, I sent him a cheque for the full amount back to his address and I checked my account to make sure he took the cash - he did.

A situation I have never forgotten.

Badsight-
07-17-2007, 03:50 AM
for every person in here expressing goodwill . . . . there is a another who is willing to take all they can for free without giving anything back

SeaFireLIV
07-17-2007, 03:55 AM
That`s the truth, Badsight.

han freak solo
07-17-2007, 07:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Home was about 100 miles away. My cards, money, jacket everything was in the car. I had just the shirt on my back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, nice story. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The furthest I ever walked home after a fight with my ex, was 10 miles. We were at a friend's party and I had enough of her at midnight and started walking. I was sober when I got home at 3 am, that's for sure.