PDA

View Full Version : A Safe Assumption?

Sburch
08-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Can we safely assume that if the Demo works on our machines, then the finished product will work just the same?

Eat_My_Shortz
08-24-2005, 02:07 AM
I sure hope it works a little better!

ivanxuereb
08-24-2005, 04:11 AM
Well, if it's a realMYST case don't get your hopes up high.

Eat_My_Shortz
08-24-2005, 06:18 AM
Actually, I thought realMyst full DID improve stability upon the demo.

ivanxuereb
08-24-2005, 07:35 AM
Some people said that the demo worked and the game did not...

Boyue65
08-24-2005, 01:17 PM
I would assume that the full product would have a better mix of support for various drivers and hardware and would therefore be more stable / capable. Hard to say, though.

I can't speak for others, but it worked very well on my machine. I just wish I had some of the tools they're denying to us, ie the Journal (Here's hoping it's a KI!) and the constant game state saving. That alone made Uru a million times better than previous Myst games -- I could just quit and the game would remember where I am.

Mowog
08-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Some people said that the demo worked and the game did not... That was probably me. I vividly remember playing the RealMYST demo, then buying the full version later only to find that it instantly crashed back to the desktop if I tried to launch it.

The really funny part was some time later, after I'd upgraded my PC to Windows XP and added a better graphics card (for Uru, BTW). On a whim, I reinstalled RealMYST and it ran normally. But once I'd gotten deep into the game (loving it, by the way), it again began to crash at launch. Then shortly after, it launched normally and I hustled through and completed it while I could. Weird... either it worked or it didn't.

BUT -- I strongly suspect that none of that applies here. Actually, I'm more worried about my DVD drive firmware. I had to upgrade it to play Myst IV, and I'm hoping that it will work normally with Myst V.

Eat_My_Shortz
08-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Should be OK if u upgraded it last yar Mowog.

I just wish I had some of the tools they're denying to us, ie the Journal (Here's hoping it's a KI!) and the constant game state saving.
I don't know about a writing journal, but I do know that you'll be able to take photos as you've been able to do in the past 2 games.

Myst 5 has a save feature whereby the game saves whenever you take a photo, so you have the photo/save feature intertwined.
I know the game also saves when you quit, so thats OK.

I too enjoyed the Uru save system, but that wouldnt work for a non-uru game (ie. non relto-based).

Also, did you notice in the demo that a journal automatically records everything that's said to you! Cool eh!

Bhob
10-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Boyue65:
(Here's hoping it's a KI!) and the constant game state saving. That alone made Uru a million times better than previous Myst games -- I could just quit and the game would remember where I am.

Uru better than Myst? Don't bet the farm on it. Uru had so many problems that you'd be hard-pressed to list them all. While it's true that the game automatically saved, there were numerous times when it wouldn't remember you at all and you'd have to start over. I much prefer an acknowledgement that my game has been saved, rather than gritting my teeth when I boot up, hoping the thing is still there.

I'd better stop now. If I get on this track I'll be up all night...

Mowog
10-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Bhob, you've made it painfully obvious in all of your posts so far that you detest Uru. You even dredged up several very old threads just to repeat yourself, and had the admins lock those threads as a result.

A lot of us out here really like Uru, flaws or not. We like it enough to dig into its backstory, see it from Cyan's point of view, understand what they were trying to do, and mourn with them that it didn't work out. We aren't attacking it with a pessimistic fervor every chance we get. If you want to rail against Uru, you're several months late. That all came and went long ago, and the gaming world -- and this forum -- have long since passed on to other things. If you want to find friends, troll the archives from around February '04. You'll feel right at home there.

In the meantime, there is still a very loyal fan base supporting Uru, and the online Until Uru. You wouldn't know, of course, since you're not a part of that. We're having a heck of a lot of fun, and you're bitter and disillusioned. Go figure. You see only the flaws; we see the potential, and overlook the flaws. And by the way, some of the glitches you mentioned never happened to most of us. You may well be blaming Uru for problems with your own equipment.

By the way, this is the first time since I joined this forum in May '03 that I've ever unloaded on another poster, but you need to think outside your own limited viewpoint.

Bhob
10-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Well, Mowog, I do indeed detest Uru. But you're wrong about some things here.

I too am interested in the background. It's one of the few things that was good about Uru. They expanded the information we have and told us much more of the story behind Myst.

I too could see what they wanted to do and the potential involved. I had hoped to see those bookshelves full of new places to visit and explore.

I too hoped that they would succeed and that there would be installments coming along every year or so for many years to come. But it didn't happen.

The comment that got me going, (Uru a million times better than previous Myst games ) shows that it hasn't been let go in this forum, nor by you I might add, and the forums have not passed on to other things.

For all your claims of love and support, when push came to shove, there were not enough people who would put up their money to make it work. Don't even try to say that there was any other reason. Uru was not a financially viable product and that's the bottom line. Why? It goes back to all of those glitches that you claim never happened to anyone but me. Sorry, but there's nothing wrong or sub-standard about my equipment. At the time that this was all going down there were plenty of pages of posts from people who were having the same problems I was. Maybe you choose to "see the potential, and overlook the flaws", but that doesn't mean they weren't there. In fact, they're still there. I never gave up on Uru, I try again and again, always hoping that someone has finally gotten it right, but it just has never come up to par.

Maybe I am bitter and disillusioned. If so, then I have a right to be, and I stand in the company of the Uru guru, Yeesha, the most bitter and disillusioned game character there ever was. I only said that Uru was a poor product. She said, "I'm glad they're dead!"

If it makes you feel better to flame me for my honest opinion, then go ahead, but it doesn't change the truth.