PDA

View Full Version : Newbie dogfight advice

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 12:06 AM
Ive had FB for about two weeks now and I must say this is without a doubt the best flight sim I have ever played. I gave up on CFS abut two years ago due my intrest in other games with better graphics.After seeing some screenshots of FB I knew I just had to give combat flight sims another try.I would just like some advice from anyone on improving my flying and dogfighting skills. I use hyperlobby and in most matches I really dont fair that well. I guess I need more time to practice. Any advise would be greatly welcome

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 12:06 AM
Ive had FB for about two weeks now and I must say this is without a doubt the best flight sim I have ever played. I gave up on CFS abut two years ago due my intrest in other games with better graphics.After seeing some screenshots of FB I knew I just had to give combat flight sims another try.I would just like some advice from anyone on improving my flying and dogfighting skills. I use hyperlobby and in most matches I really dont fair that well. I guess I need more time to practice. Any advise would be greatly welcome

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 12:33 AM
For humiliation: Go online.

For practise: Follow these easy steps to better abs...eh...skills...

1) In QMB, set up a flight of friendly bombers. Pick your plane and shoot them down. They will complain, but this will improve your aim.

2) When 1) feels easy, do the same with a flight of friendly fighters. Same thing, even better for your aim.

3) Advance to meeting enemies. Choose:
a) Bombers - big fat targets, but they WILL shoot back, and most probably they WILL shoot you in the head.
b) Fighters - small quick targets, they will shoot back too, and they will miss you as long as you stay in a long sweeping turn (or they will shoot you in the head).

4) Try out different planes and different tactics (Boom'n'Zoom, Turn'n'Burn). Some planes are better for certain tactics and flying styles. Experiment and ask at the forum.

5) Don't forget to set you convergence distance! And remember this distance!

6) Also, remember that you learn more and faster playing online, but I know this is a "self esteem-killer". Try to find a nicce bunch though, and try to play as much as possible with them. You'll be popping knee caps off people soon enough, just don't give up!

I'm tired, must stop rambling...need sugar... Mmm...donut...

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the advice.I will certainly give it a "shot"

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 01:33 AM
Yeah hyperlobby is hell for us new pilots, I feel your pain. I guess the really dedicated skilled guys hang there mostly. Like he said tho, you learn a lot flying against the highly skilled as long as you don't let dieing all the time get you down. The UBI servers have a tough crowd too, but not nearly as tough as the hyperlobby crowd, so you might want to fly there some too. I almost never do squat in hyperlobby games, but I can sometimes get a few kills on UBI server games. I try hard to learn tho from those who are better and it's just a game so I don't get mad or frustrated. Most people are much more prone to get annoyed than me tho. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PS If you ever see me in a hyperlobby game, join on in, that's at least one kill you probably can get, if you don't screw up too bad. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif