PDA

View Full Version : List PF undocumented features here

flyingscampi
11-01-2004, 06:26 AM
I keep noticing things that I'm sure have change since AEP.

I had the surround sound volume up a bit and suddenly got hit by a flak shell which was so convincing I ended up hanging from the lampshade. In other words the sound effects seem a lot better.

Also the smoke rising from crashes and stuff spirals up now and looks a lot better.

flyingscampi
11-01-2004, 06:26 AM
I keep noticing things that I'm sure have change since AEP.

I had the surround sound volume up a bit and suddenly got hit by a flak shell which was so convincing I ended up hanging from the lampshade. In other words the sound effects seem a lot better.

Also the smoke rising from crashes and stuff spirals up now and looks a lot better.

MaxMhz
11-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Over-all stall behaviour is better now - not going into a flat spin stall right away anymore...

Muzzle flashes ah well you know that ...

SeaFireLIV
11-01-2004, 09:39 AM
1. Yea, smoke is better. It`s not as good as i`d like, ie swaying in the wind, but it`s better. You also get different HEIGHTS of smoke now. Try the Black death track, you`ll see some are taller than others.

2. Is it me, or are japanese pilots reluctant to bail out of burning planes where US plane pilots tend to bail pretty quickly?

3. The tower is much more accurate when you request landing clearance.

4.If you are no.2 and are on a Carrier, you can request takeoff clearance and takeoff BEFORE the Leader! You`ll see the leader will not take off until you do. But if you ask too late the Tower wil make you wait.

5. Japanese plane damage model better? I sometimes chip panels off him.. or is it the flaps?

6. In FB I would always get a stutter as it load up more planes, in PF - none!

7.I like the way enemy aircraft spawn on the airfield in reaction to your attack (scramble).

8.Night fighters AI get rid of their lights once airborne.

9.Wingman is VERY reliable, even the new guy! The only time he doesn`t cover you is if you tell to go attack fighters or he`s been shot down himself. HELP is also very effective.

10. I like the `find the downed pilot` missions.

11. Kamikaze missions really make PF for me!

12. Craters work in FB as in PF. You can crash in them as well as AI.

13. Aircraft do not vanish after landing.

p.s. I notice as Japanese you sometimes cannot communicate with wingman which is historically correct. I wonder if they`ve doen the same for the I16s on the East front? Now what i`d like to do is fly a good Soviet Campaign where I`ll really be able to see any changes.

That`s it for now.

bweiss
11-01-2004, 09:53 AM
I have pretty much experienced the same aspects of PF changes that you have listed Seafire, but thinking on item 2 in your list. And I've only had a minimal amount of time with PF thus far, but I used the full mission editor and loaded up a campaign mission from USAAF-NEW GUNIEA, and noted something I have not noticed in FB. A checkmark for Parachute? I assume this means either the pilot has one or not, or will use one or not, and my guess is due to the addition of Kamakazi units. But, I also noted that upon loading the file, most of the parachute check boxes were blank? Is that a default selection? If so, it might explain why the Japanese pilots don't hit the silk that often. Not sure here, doing a lot of guessing on something I just noticed with the full mission editor.

Owlsphone
11-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Flying online last night I noticed that while in the Corsair or the Wildcat, your body shifts in the seat while turning. Very cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

My wildcat got shot up and when the panels came off I could see my liferaft inside the fuselage of my plane.

AWL_Spinner
11-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Seafire, a lot of the Japanese pilots weren't ISSUED with parachutes which perhaps explains their reluctance to leave their falling aircraft. Although I think I'd still be out of there, given the choice. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regarding damage, I shot one wheel off a Ju52 last night, there's some wonderfully selective damage modelling going on now (this may have been happening in FB but I've never seen it before).

Also I stacked a landing into a carrier and was pleased to see that your aircraft moves EXACTLY as you'd expect when you foolishly open and close the wings whilst upside down. The physics modelling in this game never ceases to amaze.

Cheers, Spinner

scootertgm
11-01-2004, 10:40 AM
With the canopy open the flak sounds different when it goes off...

Also, the flack is different colors when it is fired by ships denoting cailber.

the other thing I thought was cool is the long rage heavy flack, you can accually wacth teh shells coming up, they are best seen against a cloud, small black blobs of death...

LStarosta
11-01-2004, 01:24 PM
On a rough take-off, I damaged the wheelbreaks on my Bf 109 K4. I thought I noticed a sharp noise upon taking off but I didn't think much of it until when I tried to use the wheelbreaks upon landing and they didn't respond. Might be a glitch, or maybe (hopefully) a new feature.

altstiff
11-01-2004, 01:33 PM
I love the wind sound when you open the canopy while in flight.

LEBillfish
11-01-2004, 01:39 PM
You know you have to do it once or twice...It is required when flying in a multiple seat plane, that being "to shoot up your own plane from varied positions".....

However, now you can hear the slugs hitting the metal, a dull sound like small caliber rounds hitting sheet metal.....It's a very clear sound, one that helps you get close to your own plane when needed.

For bombers there is a nose art section in paints that is much much larger then the regiment marks we are used to. SOme of the nose art I'm making up deffinately exceeds what comes with PF, I just hope I don't get booted off a server for it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

There is a new section in sounds called sounds. Has just general sounds like you might hear on a remote airbase, and new sirens and alarms. Haven't heard them in play yet though they are so subtle I may not have noticed them. Also, voice packs are improved.

Loadouts for player planes can now be predetermined...though it's bugged right now it will be a nice feature for those that refuse to fly the mission..(like not take bombs)...or go so light on fuel it's a one way trip so they'll be more agile.

TheJoyStick
11-01-2004, 01:39 PM
I like the fact that you can hear through the cockpit like you could in the original IL2.

I can hear people shooting at me, and planes flying too close for comfort.

However, I have an interesting problem.. If I look out at my left wing, I can hear everything going on in the entire server.. I can hear gunshots, I can hear flak exploding, I can hear people's planes being hit, etc etc, regardless of where I am.

Fillmore
11-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Watching from externals after I am downed, I see the other planes (USN campaign, havn't seen Japanese planes do this) open their canopies when they are damaged, like so they can bail quicker if needed.

tanimbar
11-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Oh the detail - anyone seen the sparks flying off the arrester hook while it drags across the deck?

panthercules
11-01-2004, 05:03 PM
LOL - yeah - I saw the sparks from the arrestor hook last night - I wasn't real sure why there were sparks from dragging the hook across the WOOD decks of the US carriers, but it was a pretty cool idea nonetheless http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Bull_dog_
11-01-2004, 05:21 PM
most probably know this but the 120% mix and manual supercharger settings on the corsair and hellcat came as a pleasant suprise to me.

Firing the cannons and hmg's on the beaufighter is a little like firing a Gau-8 on a warthog...verrrrry coooool http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

HexAngel
11-01-2004, 05:56 PM
I like the moving trees http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

fabianfred
11-01-2004, 06:36 PM
I know that early on, many Japanese planes didn't carry parachutes...
reading the book 'The cactus airforce' recently there was a part where in one action six or seven Jap planes were shot down and after bailing each of the pilots undid their harness and dropped out of their chutes...

Snoop_Baron
11-01-2004, 11:05 PM
I like the new sounds I get when my plane gets hit by enemy fire http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aeronautico
11-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Sound has improved very much. Flak is fantastic and hits on my plane even better!

When my plane is hit by enemy fire, it's shaken and I often lose control untill I regain it.

SeaFireLIV
11-02-2004, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fabianfred:
I know that early on, many Japanese planes didn't carry parachutes...
reading the book 'The cactus airforce' recently there was a part where in one action six or seven Jap planes were shot down and after bailing each of the pilots undid their harness and dropped out of their chutes... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya kidding?
Wow. war is hell. Such a needless loss of life.

Fillmore
11-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Speedbar now shows altitude in increments of 10m, previously it only showed increments of 50m. A great help for dialing in the bombsights.