PDA

View Full Version : Gun/Gunsight Harmonization

e2michaelb
01-07-2006, 09:35 PM
How does gun convergence relate to the gunsight line-of-sight? Wing-mounted guns are set in a plane below the gunsight line-of-sight. IRL does setting a convergence distance involve adjusting the guns in both the horizontal and vertical planes? In other words, can the path of bullets be set to rise slightly so as to converge with the gunsight line-of-sight at the prescribed distance? Or, is the gunsight line-of-sight somehow adjusted to intersect the bullets in the plane of the guns? If the former is so, then as one closes to less than the convergence distance, shouldn't you be ready to raise the gunsight pipper slightly as you get closer in order to keep the bullets on target. Of course, this would only apply to non-computing gunsights, where the pipper doesn't automatically compensate for drift, drop, windage, etc. All that being said, how is this modeled in PF? Needless to say, this question is prompted by more than a few instances of missing sighted-in bandits.

berg417448
01-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Convergence is in both horizontal and vertical planes. If you are within the zone before convergence you will have to aim a small bit low since the bullets are arcing above the line of sight at that point. If you are firing "long" you will need to raise the nose since the bullets are falling below the line of sight beyond convergence.

http://users.frii.com/gosplow/azero2.gif

Tully__
01-08-2006, 03:45 AM
In real life convergence (horizontal aim) and harmonization (vertical aim) were different. In the game, convergence controls both.

http://jennirivers.actewagl.net.au/Convergence.jpg

heywooood
01-08-2006, 11:59 AM
nicely illustrated...set it at 100 - 150m (thats 300' - 450') and get close to do the most damage with the shortest bursts of fire.

R988z
01-08-2006, 01:04 PM
I used to have trouble doing any damage to anything with the wing mounted guns on say a P-51 or P-40 (that I normally fly) even with a really long burst. That was at what I thought was close convergence at 500m then 350m (confused m & ft), but since changing it to around 150m I find one well placed short burst will do some serious damage, one brief burst will usually set an opponent on fire or smoking heavily, absolutely brilliant for slightly offset head on's and deflections shots. I've gone from lucky to get one kill a night to getting quite a few! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

e2michaelb
01-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Now I see why getting r-e-a-l close is the real answer to sure kills. Especially if one is firing MG's and cannon simultaneously. berg-448's analysis highlights the difficulty of compensating for arcing bullet paths; I had assumed the opposite adjustments in aim, forgetting that bullets do not travel in a straight line horizontally, as if unaffected by gravity. Now all I gotta do is figure out how to get real close before the bandit starts jinking out of my sights. It ought to be easy, since I am just as likely to overrun the suckers in my haste to close on 'em. Thanks to all for the feedback.