PDA

View Full Version : How does the damage modelling work?

Codex1971
03-11-2005, 08:22 PM
When flying German planes online I have noticed that when I get hit with just one round, i.e. I hear just one ping on the airframe, I instantly get a damaged elevators, fuel leak or jammed machine gun. But if I fly a P-51 or Spit I can absorb more damage before things stop working.

How does the damage model actually work? Are hit recorded by using the planes 3D model or by using a bubble?

Codex1971
03-11-2005, 08:22 PM
When flying German planes online I have noticed that when I get hit with just one round, i.e. I hear just one ping on the airframe, I instantly get a damaged elevators, fuel leak or jammed machine gun. But if I fly a P-51 or Spit I can absorb more damage before things stop working.

How does the damage model actually work? Are hit recorded by using the planes 3D model or by using a bubble?

TooCool_12f
03-12-2005, 04:03 AM
no bubble beyond the 3D model...

as for "why this of that damage" question, it depends on where you get hit...

sometimes you loose something important in any plane, and sometimes you get hit again and again and keep flying... matter of chance (and your oponents shooting, of course http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

NorrisMcWhirter
03-12-2005, 04:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Codex1971:

How does the damage model actually work? Are hit recorded by using the planes 3D model or by using a bubble? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bubble - for axis. They just stick a bubble large enough to encase the entire LW plane in it these days.

Perhaps it's not the damage modelling of the airframe you should be considering but the relative strengths of the attacker's guns. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Norris

WWMaxGunz
03-12-2005, 08:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Codex1971:

How does the damage model actually work? Are hit recorded by using the planes 3D model or by using a bubble? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have been shown very detailed 3D models even for earlier versions. We are shown that the
shots hit one part and if it is destroyed, the shot continues along to maybe hit another or
exit the plane. There is even a mode where you can see the paths of the shots that hit as
arrows going through the plane. Those are the paths only, the bullet or shell may not make
it through but the arrow always will. Even fragments of explosions have arrows.

IIRC, the engines started at about 12 parts just for the engine and now up to around 20.
Every part has strength and armor value. Even from IL2, when there was issues of Mk 108
not making damage and the test target was again and again Me 323 fuselage base it was
finally revealed that the strength of the base had been made absurdly high because by the
model that strength is used for structure and was crushing on landing from weight of the
plane and load inside, it carries troops and equipment. So strength is there and not just
for damage but I cannot say if reduced strength of damage is there or if the steps of
strength are such that at some range, some shots can never affect it. It would be fun to
know the 'grain' of the DM and such things. But I can happily say, BE SURE it is there!
Not so happy, not all the time it is right or more not the same level every plane but we
get improved old models with patches here and there.

Where hit and from what angle the hit is, those are often critical. Shooting planes from
directly behind is one very good way to waste hits.

joeap
03-13-2005, 08:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorrisMcWhirter:
Bubble - for axis. They just stick a bubble large enough to encase the entire LW plane in it these days.

Perhaps it's not the damage modelling of the airframe you should be considering but the relative strengths of the attacker's guns. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Norris <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know there is a bigger bubble around Axis ac? Though about the weapons I partly agree with you ...loadouts and whatnot.

NorrisMcWhirter
03-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Just pulling his leg.

VW-IceFire
03-13-2005, 12:08 PM

A single hit to the Mustang or Spitfire engine will cause it to stop, smoke, or light on fire and cause the death of the pilot if he doesn't bail out.

Depends on where you're shooting.

DM is done with 3D models inside the aircraft to represent engine blocks, fuel tanks, and control rods. Apparently at all done to real dimensions.

Bearcat99
03-13-2005, 12:56 PM
LMAO... everyone says the same thing.... Thier planes are porked.... LOL. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Danschnell
03-16-2005, 04:56 PM
I think the flyable planes have much more detailed damage modelling. There are of course some errors, I think mostly on pilot deaths. I don't know if it still like it, but the P-47 used to always suffer pilot death after a few hits. Nothing else major ever got a chance to go wrong because pilot always died first.

Crew deaths seem worst modelled on AI bombers. The pilot is the only crewmember who readily dies. Hits on the cockpit always kill the pilot, but gunner deaths on AI only planes don't seem to be modelled (or poorly modelled.) The rear gunner on the B-17 never dies, even if you shoot very rear of the plane hundereds of times, but one bullet anywhere on the cockpit, boom the pilot dies (never the co-pilot of course.)

LLv34_Stafroty
03-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Icefire wrote:"A single hit to the Mustang or Spitfire engine will cause it to stop, smoke, or light on fire and cause the death of the pilot if he doesn't bail out."

Have very same effect on 109, so, should not be so odd. remember times when Il-2 came out? 109 lost its engine really easy, while Laggs, La5:s and yaks didnt care about engine hits at all, cos they were air cooled http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
still cant understand some of the claims that air cooled can take MUCH more hits without failure! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

liguid cooled was flaw only when its cooling system took hits, then slowly overheating the engine. in game it was not like that. cos, both
air cooled and liguid cooled should withstand as much hits on engine blocks, and seize the engine quite similarly from good hit.