PDA

View Full Version : If AC3 is the end of Desmond's story then it has to be his game.

KillTemplars
12-04-2011, 03:34 AM
If the developers really are ending the Desmond arc with the next one then he has to have his game. All this stuff about Altair and Ezio has been building up to Desmond, they left messages centuries ago for him alone and he was singled out to stop a global catastrophe in a time of Templar domination.

If Ubisoft keeps milking it with the ancestors and ancient settings and deny Desmond a modern setting game then all of the Animus stuff is really for nothing.

The developers have used the word 'ultimate Assassin' to refer to Desmond in the past. Well what kind of 'ultimate Assassin' would be kept in the shadows by ancestors?

I know the modern day guns dynamic is something that they have to tip toe around, but the setting and situation in the modern day timeline would be far more fascinating than historical.

It really is the most important era in history. The Templars on the verge of total victory over the Assassins, the 2012 event, and all of the revolutions the AC2 glyphs reveal are happening. It's kind of like a mirror of real life events, which I believe are heading to WW3.

But anyway, the setting and situation alone would make a modern AC worth it. I hardly notice any difference jumping around as Desmond in Montirigoni than I do Ezio or Altair. He can carry the series.

LightRey
12-04-2011, 04:00 AM
They've already confirmed there'll be a new ancestor in AC3, so too bad broah.

Dralight
12-04-2011, 04:10 AM
AC without the animus or historical settings and ancestor play is not AC. An all Desmond game would suck imo, so i'm glad they're introducing a new ancestor. I do hope we get to do a bit more with Des in AC3 though, but the majority of the game will likely be played as the new ancestor.

LightRey
12-04-2011, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Dralight:
AC without the animus or historical settings and ancestor play is not AC. An all Desmond game would suck imo, so i'm glad they're introducing a new ancestor. I do hope we get to do a bit more with Des in AC3 though, but the majority of the game will likely be played as the new ancestor.
Ditto.

Rakudaton
12-04-2011, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:

Where? And are you sure they don't mean Desmond?

Respectfully disagree. If AC were only about historical settings, they would never have included the animus sci-fi present setting. All the past stuff has got to lead up to a present-day conclusion, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. Revelations is clearly the point at which we have to make the jump. Altair and Ezio have reached their conclusions; it would ruin the whole symmetry of the "three assassins" thing to chuck in new half-developed ancestor with which Desmond shares his conclusion. It's time he got his own full game.

Now, whilst I'm worried about what the present-day setting could mean for gameplay, I'm confident that Ubisoft will manage to pull it off. I just hope Lightrey is wrong about there being a new ancestor... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

johnnyhayek
12-04-2011, 07:06 AM
http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/...creed-3-details.html (http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/news/assassins-creed-3-details.html)

Riften
12-04-2011, 07:51 AM
You obviously don't understand the point of AC.

Tell me this, if AC1 was Desmond running around New York assassinating people, would you buy it?

Nah me neither.

Yes, there will be a new ancestor for AC3, why? We don't know.
But I have no doubt that Ubisoft will have a good reason to send Desmond back into the Animus.

I'd rather explore areas in a different time period than running around in New York.

Obviously there will be Desmond gameplay, but I HIGHLY doubt that we will be running around New York.

persiateddy95
12-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I'd rather have a new ancestor than only Desmond. Gameplay would be different if it was only Desmond.

eagleforlife1
12-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Dralight:

Well said.

S-EVANS
12-04-2011, 08:40 AM
If Ubisoft keeps milking it with the ancestors and ancient settings and deny Desmond a modern setting game then all of the Animus stuff is really for nothing.

This is a good point to make, the whole idea of desmond from start to finish has been seperated from the animus, he was captured in modern times and throughout the bleeding effect, etc his story has always maintained a detachment from the animus whilst learning the skills hes aquired from his ancestors.

I always maintained a possibilty that they could introduce offspring from desmond to the game in order to continue the timeline. This said offspring is different to ancestor, so it deos appear we are still going to go back in time, even if desmonds content maintains a forward direction.

Respectfully disagree. If AC were only about historical settings, they would never have included the animus sci-fi present setting. All the past stuff has got to lead up to a present-day conclusion, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. Revelations is clearly the point at which we have to make the jump. Altair and Ezio have reached their conclusions; it would ruin the whole symmetry of the "three assassins" thing to chuck in new half-developed ancestor with which Desmond shares his conclusion. It's time he got his own full game.

The gamer has maintained a backward motion in history, but this is only because we are living our ancestors memorys, but on the other hand what desmond and his ancestors experienced instead was "insights" and a constant forward motion in timeline.

In light of this fact i have to agree with these comments, and the original poster in that it really is time for desmond to begin taking over the storyline. and i understand the views of modern weapons distracting from what this title is all about.

But i do agree dragging out further ancestors would whilst maintain the franchise i would hold more respect if they closed the game and starting a fresh new trilogy with a whole new cast.

I'd rather explore areas in a different time period than running around in New York.

I would without a doubt pay for such a game, it wont feel the same i admit. But i remember the feelings of escaping from the lab at abstergo with lucy and the fact all the way through the original was frustrated about what is behind that door.

Or looking out that window and wondering what it would be like to climb what you could see.

But anyway, the setting and situation alone would make a modern AC worth it. I hardly notice any difference jumping around as Desmond in Montirigoni than I do Ezio or Altair. He can carry the series.

desmond himself as you pointed out here got to run around in a modern Montirigoni setting with cars, electric, road signs, and modern construction, a change is as good as a rest and whilst not everyone wants to accept any major changes, i do agree with you and think its the right time and desmond can carry it.

Eregost
12-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Agreed OP. AC3 should be Desmond's game alone otherwise I bet my socks it will end up being a subpar title.

rileypoole1234
12-04-2011, 09:27 AM
The interview said "AC3 new ancestor, new setting. That's the way it works." So there you go. Ubisoft confirmed that in AC3 there will be a new ancestor and setting.

Eregost
12-04-2011, 09:32 AM
That interview was almost two years ago and even if it was more recent, that still doesn't make it a fact. Developers can go back on their word, it happens a lot. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt until the game comes out.

And those of us who want it to be a Desmond only game can dream dammit!

RzaRecta357
12-04-2011, 09:50 AM
No kidding. Two years ago they didn't even know about Revelations yet and were just starting brotherhood.

Although I assume we'll get a new ancestor and it'll be awesome. I wouldn't mind an all Desmond game.

Can't wait for the teasers in like two months or whatever so the flocks of haters can come.

Eregost
12-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Yeah what's funny is that very same article says that an AC game will not be released during 2011 and yet people still use it as reliable evidence.

lukaszep
12-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't see how Ubisoft are "milking it with the ancestors and ancient settings" when that's the premise for the entire franchise.

S-EVANS
12-04-2011, 10:55 AM
The conclusion has to finish with desmond, but doing so unless you advanced into future style gameplay and switch it to a shooter genre means that the only method of avoiding such action is adding additional ancestors to maintain the backward motion.

The milking of that would result in a more static storyline as your always going back but at some point the developers have got to either arrive at desmond, TWCB, natural disaster.

it cant be avoided, and guns are now a part of the series in fact there was a scene that modern day templars (which desmond and lucy are) were attacking the building that they held desmond captive inside.

and vidic/ridic whatever his name was claimed at that stage they was no more assassins (or hardly enough left) to stop them.

Milking the storyline in order to maintain a fanbase and peoples interests will affect your enjoyment even if things stay in the past

desmond has to take control alone at some point!!

LightRey
12-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by lukaszep:
I don't see how Ubisoft are "milking it with the ancestors and ancient settings" when that's the premise for the entire franchise.
This.

NuclearFuss
12-04-2011, 10:56 AM
If it's a whole new ancestor I want a much longer story. I don't think that a Brotherhood/Revelations story would be enough to introduce a new character and develop them enough to make them important. Hopefully it'll be more AC2 sort of length. Plus extra Desmond bits http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

SweetsMachineGun
12-04-2011, 11:05 AM
I personally think introducing a new ancestor would weigh too much on the story to give full closure of what's going on with Desmond and his present situation; Unless we're looking at a campaign mode that is the length of ACII, ACB, and ACR combined. As I've said in other threads on this topic, I wouldn't necessarily mind a new ancestor, but I also have nothing against tailoring the game to a present/sci-fi setting. I am just a little wary as to how they will introduce another ancestor and avoid making him "half-developed" as Rakudaton said.

Il_Divo
12-04-2011, 01:30 PM
The only way I see a new ancestor working is if Ubisoft instead found a way to send Desmond back to explore a variety of time periods/locations, which will prevent any one ancestor from monopolizing our attention and still allow everything refer back to Desmond.

As it stands, I don't think AC3's storyline can be concluded effectively without substantially more gameplay focusing on Desmond's experiences, more than what even AC1 provided.

UrDeviant1
12-04-2011, 01:56 PM
If ubi can bring In a new ancestor and make me feel as attached to him as I do Ezio then I'm for It! And these historical settings are one of the things I'v always loved about AC games, they give the game so much more character and feel exotic, especially Istanbul. If want to see modern day setting i'll just step outside my front door!

lukaszep
12-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I think it'll be quite unexpected how they use the ancestor in AC3. I can imagine something like Desmond having too look back in time for answers. Perhaps he'll have to trace a bloodline to look for Eve?

SPOILER

I'm sure that we'll start the game off as Desmond though, there's no other way after how AC:R ended.

kudos17
12-04-2011, 03:07 PM
They better have a good reason for using another ancestor, though.

AC1, Desmond was forced to by Abstergo. AC2, he used Ezio to synch himself back to Assassin life (and they ran into TWCB). In AC:B, they needed the vault. In AC:R, Desmond needed to find the synch nexus. I really don't know what more they'd need from an ancestor, judging by Desmond's condition at the end of AC:R.

I do hope Desmond is significantly more featured than the previous game's "walk around and interact a bit with stuff", but an Assassin's Creed game that isn't centered around an Ancestor kind of loses the point.

All this in mind, though, I still want it to be Desmond's game. In AC1, it was a perfect balance. I cared a lot about Altair, but there was enough separation to keep my focus on Desmond's story. Ever since Ezio was introduced, I thought that a good chunk of the community cared more about him, which I feel was wrong. I personally never connected much with Ezio, but looked on him passively like he was just a story being told, and not a person. I believe this is the feeling that should have been delivered, but instead I've seen many people focus on Ezio, to the point where they even begin to dislike Desmond.

kriegerdesgottes
12-04-2011, 04:17 PM
The day that Ubisoft releases an all Desmond game is the day I stop buying AC games.

VexedRelic
12-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I've said this before in another thread but I read from an ex producer on the game that AC3 will be about Desmond and his race against time in finding temples before the templars, possibly related to the artifacts.

As I see it Desmond will play as a new ancestor but without an animus, instead he can freely go in and out as if he was in one, accessing it at will. The story will revolve around finding the locations of the temples through another ancestor, then you will switch over to Desmond to retrieve the artifacts step by step as you go through the story.

In many ways it will be similar to Altair's story in Revelations, just hopefully a lot more developed.

Also there is nothing that says AC3 will be the last, they could make an AC3 expansion like Brotherhood or Revelations that is all about Desmond in present time to wrap up the whole story.

KillTemplars
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
The modern setting is the unfolding climax of events. The resolution of the ancient war. As such it must be featured as a stand alone game.

Modern setting = the outcome of the whole thing. The final and ultimate Assassin victory over the Templars.

That alone makes Desmond more important than Altair, Ezio and all the rest of his ancestors combined.

ACR's ending has to be the 'passing of the torch' to Desmond. Anything else is just milking the series, and milking a series = loss of public interest.

xCr0wnedNorris
12-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by johnnyhayek:
http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/...creed-3-details.html (http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/news/assassins-creed-3-details.html)
Considering that he also said there wasn't going to be an AC game in 2011, I'm having doubts about the credibility of this source...