PDA

View Full Version : F6F tor******....

Fliger747
12-05-2004, 07:25 PM
As many are aware, the F6F was tested in the role of torpedo bomber and found satisfactory. What I hadn't realized was that several hunered of the sets for rigging this were shipped to the fleet in the Pacific, but not used due to lack of interest.

From "1944 Joint Fighter conf"!

Fliger747
12-05-2004, 07:25 PM
As many are aware, the F6F was tested in the role of torpedo bomber and found satisfactory. What I hadn't realized was that several hunered of the sets for rigging this were shipped to the fleet in the Pacific, but not used due to lack of interest.

From "1944 Joint Fighter conf"!

BlitzPig_DDT
12-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Navy documentation lists torpedos among it's ordnance (Type Mk 13-3). Along with Tiny Tims, and a total bombload of 4000lbs.

Blackdog5555
12-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Toward the end of the war, The USN decided against torpedoes and torpedo bombing in favor of dive bombing. a lot of the Avenger flyers were taken off carriers and retrained as dive bombers. I dont know exactly all the details just that it was done. my guess is that the torpedo bombers took emormous losses and the Mk13 torpedo was a POS. Risk your neck, your flying turkey and launch a dud. dive bombing won Midway while the poor torpedo squads were cannon fodder for the Zeros. They are successful in dragging cover. Bur the game still needs them.. Must have Avengers!