PDA

View Full Version : Hueywolf's GWX-2 Patrol,

hueywolf123
12-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Yep, I finally got it up and running.

1939, Type VIIB, W'shaven.
Left in good weather, sighted nothing, no sound contacts.
As soon as I hit the channel between The faroes and the Shetlands, I got a sound contact on a large merchant. So began the hunt.
The weather was now ridiculous, and being midnight didn't help. Now not only was it impossible to retain a visual due to rough seas, but it was pitch black with no moon light.
All we could do was follow the sound.
We estimated an intersecting course, and were within striking distance, so came to periscope depth. Up scope, still couldn't see...
"Sound contact! Warship bearing 261! Closing! Fast!", and another but at 353.
Just as
I was about to strike, two DD's moved in on us. In fair conditions, I would have continued, taken the merchant (as bait for the DD's)then picked the DD's of as they came searching. This weather, however, makes this sort of activity not just dangerous but stupid and reckless.
Back down to 50m, silent for a hour or so.
Now 01:30, hit the surface and motor away at full speed for my last leg to AM32. My concern now is that one of the DD's, even though they never knew we were there, was running at a similar course to our heading. We could be in for trouble at first light if we are not very careful, but with a green crew it could be interesting.
Stand by for part two later on.
BTW, it is not cowardice, I play DiD, and at 100% realism, in career mode. It was a decision based upon longevity of service and basically ,staying alive for more than half of my first patrol. Calm seas would've seen me have all three.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

sevenem
12-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Sounds like your first patrol went like mine, weather wise. As soon as I was 150km NE of Aberdeen, the sky opened up and didn't let off for a week.

Happy Hunting

guitarman1968
12-28-2007, 03:49 AM
Spot on mate, can't wait for part 2.My first patrol with GWX went pretty much the same way.

WilhelmSchulz.
12-28-2007, 03:52 AM
Nice. Sounds like a actula Kaptians Log entry. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

hueywolf123
12-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys, now for part 2.

Dawn, till 05:00, tracking sound contact, bearing 040, weather still terrible.
Surface at flank to try and catch contact.
07:45, visual contact, small merchant. Run at flank till we are within 1500m, then hit periscope depth.
Merchants course being altered by wind/swell, set tubes 2 & 3 at 9m depth, spread angle 1 degree, both set magnetic.
08:00, spread fired, merchant noticed stopping, then zig zagging. 60 secs, we missed.
Tube 1 set at 9m, fast, magnetic, and this time we'll aim up the middle as she is dead in front, heading away.
08:15, fire tube 1, no course alteration detected, but the seas are getting heavier.
57 secs, impact!
Her speed is now 0, we circle until 09:00, then detect explosions. We surface and head to our patrol grid.
10:45, watch saw something, we head under to listen. Yep, another merchant, estimated course will cross our course very soon.
Tube 4 set fast, 6m, magnetic.
Periscope view shows a coastal tanker, depth reset to 7m.
11:15, re-check aim, tube 4 fire.
1min, 15secs, impact! A periscope look shows a massive explosion, when the smoke and flame goes, there is nothing left.

Back to routine, grid patrolled - nothing, decided to harass Lerwick sub base on return.

6km out from Lerwick, on surface due to fog and rain. Only 12m beneath keel, no sense going in any further.

Home, and out of this miserable weather. Time for a beer or three.