PDA

View Full Version : U-boat vulnerability

FiShStoReEz
07-15-2005, 08:49 AM
I have a question regarding the realism option for increased vulnerability of the U-boat. With this option checked, the game makes your sub more susceptible to damage. However, after having many experiences where one close DC is enough to destroy my boat within seconds I have come to think that the game makes your sub too susceptible to damage.

Even in a hardcore sub movie like Das Boot the crew takes numerous close hits from DC's and they are able to patch it up. For those who play with or without this realism option checked which do you think is more realistic?

TooFastForLove.
07-15-2005, 08:53 AM
I think they have the vulnerability just about right. 1 DC that explodes with in point blank range would probably blast a large hole in the boat. I haven't tried since 1.4 but being rammed by a DD should sink you.

FiShStoReEz
07-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Well, being rammed by a DD is a different matter but its seems like every time a DC does any damage to me at all it either destroys my deck and flack or destroys me completely. After 10 patrols i have never had an instance where i can patch up flooding or have moderate amounts of damage to my boat thereby increasing the tension of the whole "must try to survive this" mindset, if you know what i mean.

WihelmSchulz-
07-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Das Boot is just a movie. A close hit will kill the sub if u r at depth.

Desslock
07-15-2005, 02:02 PM
I think normal damage model is good now.
In my last patrol (mid 1942) i was heavily depth-charged by DDs defending a convoy, and i had 3 compartements with recoverable flooding, destroyed flaks, only one diesel left and all dive planes gone. Hull was still at 40% so i went on fighting.....pretty hard without a stable depth control.
Had to sink an insisting DD and went back to port.

I find that this damage model lets you deal with many different tactical situations, depending on the equipment that is damaged-destroyed.