PDA

View Full Version : He-111

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 05:18 AM
I did the patch update on a clean install of FB. I had to go back of course and reset all the controls for the He-111 and a few others. When I was checking to make sure everything worked, I found that I can no longer feather the props. I used to be able to. I checked the controls several times and even changed them once but no good. Anyone else noticed this? Also, before the patch when you feathered a prop it is supposed to stop. I hope if this is a bug that when its addressed it will not windmill like before.

...and once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been and there you long to return.
~leonardo de vinci

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 05:18 AM
I did the patch update on a clean install of FB. I had to go back of course and reset all the controls for the He-111 and a few others. When I was checking to make sure everything worked, I found that I can no longer feather the props. I used to be able to. I checked the controls several times and even changed them once but no good. Anyone else noticed this? Also, before the patch when you feathered a prop it is supposed to stop. I hope if this is a bug that when its addressed it will not windmill like before.

...and once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
~leonardo de vinci

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 02:09 PM
I just checked in QMB and I could shut-down an engine and feather the prop with no trouble. At least, I got the on-screen confirmation that the prop had feathered. RPM also dropped to 'zero' although the prop was still rotating. By un-feathering I was able to restart the engine normally.

When I just shut-down the engine and left it un-feathered I didn't notice any extra drag on that side. The He-111 seems to fly just as well whether the failed engine is feathered or not, so I'm not sure that anything happens when you feather, or perhaps the drag from the windmilling prop is not adequately modelled?

XyZspineZyX
08-19-2003, 12:36 AM
Ok...maybe i had something screwed up, wasnt sure. I'm not real sure how they have the feathered prop modeled. Watch it when it feathers. It will slow down, stop, and then windmill in reverse. I wouldnt think thats accurate lol. It just looks a lot better when an engine has been shutdown and the prop feathred, for it to stop turning. Thanks for checking it out. I'll try and find out what it is with my controls now lol.

~leonardo de vinci

XyZspineZyX
08-19-2003, 09:25 AM
Redwulf__55 wrote:
- Watch it when it feathers. It will slow
- down, stop, and then windmill in reverse. I wouldnt
- think thats accurate lol. It just looks a lot better
- when an engine has been shutdown and the prop
- feathred, for it to stop turning.

I hadn't seen exactly what happens when the prop is feathered, but actually reversing might be correct. On some - slightly - more modern props the feathering goes just past the 'neutral' position so that the prop starts to rotate backwards. That allows the 'prop-brake' to engage, preventing any further rotation.

It does look better with the prop stopped, but maybe the He-111 lacked a prop-brake and it really did rotate backwards at a relatively low rpm. On balance, I'd expect the prop to be stopped in some way. After all, continued rotation, in any direction, of a damaged engine, perhaps with no lubricating oil, doesn't seem a very good idea /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-19-2003, 01:02 PM
I've always had trouble with this, am I supposed to shut off the engine and then feather?

Boosher-PBNA
----------------
<center>Heaven is a place where the French are the cooks, the British are the butlers, the Germans are the mechanics, and the Swiss are the politicians. Hell is a place where the British are the cooks, the French are the butlers, the Swiss are the mechanics and the Germans are the politicians.<center>
<center>Boosher-ProudBirds-VFW<center>
http://proudbirdswing.tripod.com/proudbirds.htm

http://www.escadrila54.com/logo_sm.jpg

<center><marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"The ProudBirds..Fly High and Proud..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee>

XyZspineZyX
08-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Boosher-PBNA wrote:
- I've always had trouble with this, am I supposed to
- shut off the engine and then feather?
-
-
Yes. You want to bin the engine to cut off the fuel supply and risk of fire.

Should you want to unfeather and restart for any reason, fly no faster than normal cruise to avoid the risk of overspeeding. Set the propeller control fully down (ie low prop pitch, which is a coarse blade angle), throttle slightly open, unfeather and then start.