PDA

View Full Version : Just in time for SH4

ottoramsaig
12-27-2006, 10:35 AM
For all my fellow SH fans. Just a reminder that the USS Ling is docked in Hackensack of Rt 4. Strongly recomment that we all visit the site. This sub is in excellent shape and the volunteers that work so hard can use the contributions. I need to look up her history. I paln on throwing my boy (10yrs) Cullen in the rig (New Jersey talk for nice car) and taking him there. I just gave him an old copy of SH2 to get him started. We will then head 6 hours south to my favorite state Virginia, He wants to see U 505. For anyone truly interested in SH3 i high recomend seeing her. U 505 has its own website and it is one of the best displays I have ever seen. Unlike USS Ling, U 505 has slight modifications. Bulk head hatches are removed to allow easier access. I think I read once that she was used as reference for Das Boot. Also nice is that she is located indoors with a full comliment of u Boat stuff. I seen it awhile ago before my interest in U Boats so can't wait to go back. I plan on taking pictures of the USS Ling and U 505. I will surely provide them upon request.....its the least I could do for all the help recieved at this forum. The USS Intrepid is now in dry dock at Bayone, and you must visit the USS New Jersey in Camden. A little known fact is the presence of the Miltia musem located the New Jersey National Guard Musem. It is located in Sea Girt just south of Belmar. They have an original Civil War submarine (human Powered) really worth seeing. Dispite the high taxes, car insurance etc, I have got to say that New Jersey does a great job on maintaing that important time of WWII.

Fish40
12-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Just visited the official site, and took a virtual guided tour of the boat. Looks great! This is the first I'm hearing of this sub in Jersey, and I live just across the bridge (GW) in NY. I definitely need to check this out! I think however the tours are closed in the winter, though I may be wrong.

FU-VAMP
12-27-2006, 04:56 PM
i was on the sub in philadelphia.
Submarine Becuna (SS-319) it was in service since 1944... it was a preaty good tour :P<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/alex9025/russianflag.gif

ottoramsaig
12-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Fish40:
Just visited the official site, and took a virtual guided tour of the boat. Looks great! This is the first I'm hearing of this sub in Jersey, and I live just across the bridge (GW) in NY. I definitely need to check this out! I think however the tours are closed in the winter, though I may be wrong. Let me know about the winter hours.. I already promised my son to take him there. I plan on making a day trip to see U505

ottoramsaig
12-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by FU-VAMP:
i was on the sub in philadelphia.
Submarine Becuna (SS-319) it was in service since 1944... it was a preaty good tour :P Are you talking a the USS Ling under a different name?

ottoramsaig
12-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Fish40:
Just visited the official site, and took a virtual guided tour of the boat. Looks great! This is the first I'm hearing of this sub in Jersey, and I live just across the bridge (GW) in NY. I definitely need to check this out! I think however the tours are closed in the winter, though I may be wrong. Don't know if you meant the U505 site or the USS Ling..You have got see the Ling site (Great Pix) Through Explorer simply type USS Ling, she belongs to the New Jersey Naval Musem

phlip1979
12-29-2006, 08:06 AM
I wish they would include the subs narwhal and nautilus... They're 2x6 inch guns would be fun to play with. Imkinda dissapointed. I visited the uss silversides and was mistaken for the tour guide. lol