PDA

View Full Version : Complaining about "not stealthy"

luth411
11-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Ok so I just signed up for these forums today. I didn't play the beta, but I've been playing since release, and I love it. It's not without faults, but this game is so perfect for me in so many ways. I literally giggled like a little girl for the first 5 matches when i realized what Ubisoft had done.

In reading a lot of the posts on here, there seems to be a huge unrest surrounding players that "ruin" the experience by generally overt behavior (running around, climbing, standing on roofs). I just have to ask: what's the issue?

One of the satisfying things about this online experience is that it promotes good strategy and skillful playing. If people are running around like mad men they aren't winning.

I agree that when it's your target on the rooftops the whole game, it's a little lame. You either have to expose yourself by going for them or expose yourself by killing a civilian (to acquire a new contract). But unless I have 2 or more pursuers, I'm ok with going to the rooftop for a rumble. How is it not sneaky to climb up a stone facade like a spider and eviscerate some clown? You can rotate your perk profiles between spawns, have some with the gun equipped. Blow that turkey out of the sky. If they're on the rooftops, it takes a second to get a lock on them and then they're yours.

Another thing: being stealthy doesn't mean you have to constantly be walking, blending, hiding. You can run, climb, jump...The point isn't to stay hidden from everyone, it's to stay hidden from your contract and your pursuer(s). Sometimes you have to spiderman that ****. I guarantee that after 4 or 5 deaths running around like a moron they will adjust their strategy. If they don't...more points for you and less points for them!

This isn't intended to assault anyone who has this view, but I'm sort of surprised. In my (limited) experience, I welcome those crazy players. It's possible that there's something to that strategy that gives them a distinct advantage that I haven't observed yet. If so, please share your anecdotes and theories here. The more information I have the better equipped I am to take down (and elude) different types of players.

PS if you agree with my general sentiment, you need not respond. I'm just interested in hearing the responses of people who have had trouble with these spastic gamers.

Munktor
11-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I agree with the "spirit" of your post but I don't think you recognize the "reality" of it.

If you're running around during the match and your target sees you and attempts to run away and you hit them in the back or side it still gives you "flank" bonus.

If you're running around during the match and your target sees you and you jump off something and do the kill you still get the "aerial" bonus.

If you're running around during the match and your target sees you and you move into a crowd when doing the kill you still get the blending bonus (as long as you pause for that half second to blend).

Point being you still get good points running around. Peeps saying "they only get 100 points" are wrong.

Try it, see for yourself.

UnsentSoul
11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
I play a ton of manhunt and I understand the name implies were not all gonna wait around and get 1200 pt. Kills but it ruins the spirit of the game when 3-4 people come hurling towards you. Maybe I just play w/ bad teamates. I think maybe if we all didn't have all the targets available. I want to poison my victim or something cool so I lock onto them and stalk them as some ******* comes sprinting to take out my mark. I dont get any completion towards challenges and only a measly 100 pts. Co-op kill.

obliviondoll
11-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Two things annoy me about players running on rooftops.

1st, most annoying but least likely, is when there are no stealth players other than myself. Makes sneaking up on someone on the roof harder when EVERYONE is up there and can see you for miles around.

2nd, less severe but more likely, is when I'm in a team of idiot runners in Manhunt, and they run during the defensive round and wonder how I got more points than the rest of the team put together.

There's a 3rd I saw in the beta, but am yet to have trouble with since release, which are the runners who talk **** over their mics and complain about how they should've won because they got 10 kills and the guy in 1st only got 4.

BloodyMoon1
11-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Something people don't seem to realize is you're not suppose to run the whole time or be stealthy the whole time. If you try running it all, you get **** for points and sometimes nothing because people see you and either run or stun. You're not supposed to sneak it all either, otherwise you don't get to your target before getting killed usually.

ExprtAssassin
11-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Munktor:
I agree with the "spirit" of your post but I don't think you recognize the "reality" of it.

If you're running around during the match and your target sees you and attempts to run away and you hit them in the back or side it still gives you "flank" bonus.

If you're running around during the match and your target sees you and you jump off something and do the kill you still get the "aerial" bonus.

If you're running around during the match and your target sees you and you move into a crowd when doing the kill you still get the blending bonus (as long as you pause for that half second to blend).

Point being you still get good points running around. Peeps saying "they only get 100 points" are wrong.

Try it, see for yourself.

But the point is, without running around, you can get a lot more points. Never seen anyone get over 400 points from running around, whereas being stealthy on the ground you get 400+ points.

Coolgerb
11-22-2010, 09:26 PM
I fully agree with your post, but I do have something to add about the runners.

They **** me off, because sometimes when I'm close to a really good kill (aka. Hidden, Incognito, etc.), some runner bastard comes in and kills me for a mere 100 points.

Online gaming has made me sure of one thing, that the current generation of kids (12-18, I'm 23 myself) is somehow ******ed. I'm sure it has something to do with the rap culture.

EDIT: I can't say ****? Can I say pee or urine?
EDIT2: They urine me off.

stealth995
11-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Haha it has nothing to do with Rap culture ("i blame hippies and rap music!!") lol.
I listen to rap mostly and i play very stealthy in this.... ill tell you what it is... an infestation of 8 year old kids who dont have a clue. True story. Also lots of people are just dumb in general. This gets highlighted in stuff like driving... and assassins creed...

Zrvan
11-22-2010, 10:08 PM
I think the root of this problem is the differences between this game and other multiplayer games. My roommate loves him some COD:MW2, and the key to success in that game is to fling yourself about the map my like a flea on PCP. I think most of these roofies will get bored of this game eventually, because they'll hit a wall in their skill and can't get any better without changing their tactics, so they'll either change their tactics -- or they won't.

Also, some people might feel sensitive because their careful stealthy method gets sidetracked by some idiot punking them from twenty feet up, and they feel their hard work stalking and discerning has been stolen. I say unto thee, this is the least of thine worries. It might be different in different parts of the world, but I have no trouble finishing ahead of roofies in Wanted, since all my kills are worth 2.5-4 times as much as theirs.

stealth995
11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
yeah im all with you there but theres no doubt that it is a bit annoying... oh well not enough to keep me from lovin this game =)

Patita90
11-23-2010, 12:08 AM
I enjoy the stealthy mode with the run for your life here and there, so being matched with people too eager to win regardless of style it's a total turn off for me. Balance is everything.

zyghart
11-23-2010, 12:15 AM
We're lucky enough to have a neat little threat meter in the top right of our HUD.

Allows you for short, controlled, bursts of speed while still being hidden or incognito.

You should be running, and you should hit the rooftops... albeit at the right times.

I was sort of angry the first few rounds I had with pure runners, but just learn to anticipate where they'll be... cut them off by using their own tactics.

You can poison on rooftops.

Nothing more satisfying than cutting off that runner after a 3 minute chase for 1200 points.