PDA

View Full Version : help a Brit with the spit!

deskpilot
09-06-2011, 12:10 PM
This is embarrassing! My son and I are working through the excellent "spitnfire" campaign and I've been practising with the vb and I cannot get on with it at all. It seems to overheat ridiculously quickly ( and I am used to the corsair and tempest) and skitters about when I am trying to get lined up on a target. I've flown the hurricane lots and thought I would enjoy the cannons and the extra speed but I am really struggling. I know the spit is a great pilots plane but clearly I am not getting the best out of it at all. Any hints greatly appreciated.

Metatron_123
09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
If you find it jittery then maybe you should adjust your joystick settings accordingly to be less sensitive. Yes, it isn't a good gun-platform compared to the Corsair or the Tempest.

For the overheating thing, open your radiator and stay under 100% throttle unless you are in combat.

Otherwise, you should just kind of go for it, the Spitfire is a jack of all trades kind of plane, climbs and turns well, is reasonably fast, though this particular mark is a bit slower than Bf-109Fs and Fw-190s, while on a par with the Mc 202 and Ki-61.

Climb up high and dive down on your opponents. If you are in trouble you can usually out-turn your adversaries.

VW-IceFire
09-06-2011, 03:35 PM
With 4.10 and on the Spitfire is a bit more of a challenge than it used to be. It used to be called a "UFO" but I rarely hear that phrase used these days.

I do get quite a bit of stick time with the Spitfire these days as well and it's becoming a favorite all over again.

It's a good idea if you practice with rudder trim and elevator trim technique. A well trimmed Spitfire will fly much better than one that has a nasty bias either way on the rudder in particular. Make all of your control inputs smooth and beware how sensitive it can be... it's a fighter so you want it to be sensitive but that also means you have to be careful with your stick handling.

Might want to look at the joystick sensitivity curve as well. The Corsair and Tempest are also sensitive but in different ways so you may need to tweak a bit.

JtD
09-07-2011, 12:37 PM
The Spitfire V early is running quite hot, the other ones less so.

I agree with IceFire that trim is important, it makes things a lot easier if the plane does what you want it to do when letting go of the stick.

Sillius_Sodus
09-07-2011, 12:47 PM
You can also try setting the cowl flaps to full open and leave them there, and set your pp to 90%.

You will lose a bit of speed but you will still be able to turn better than your opponents.

That said, the Spit is one of my least favourite kites in the game, I've never been able to get the most out of it.

Ba5tard5word
09-07-2011, 02:20 PM
The Spit V models just suck, I think they get to like around 450-460kph at sea level which is way too slow even against a 109 E. V's are ok against German bombers (unless they only have .30 cals then they're useless). Spit VIII's are pretty good and can do around 535kph which is pretty good though any bastard AI 109 G model will fly off into the sunset before you can catch up with them. The Spit IX's and XIV's are fun but start feeling like clown planes.

Metatron_123
09-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Actually the XIV is kind of tricky to fly, at least in my experience. I feel slightly more comfortable with a IX.

I really don't think the Spit V sucks... It doesn't dominate in anyway, that's for sure, but you can easily climb to altitude and dive back down to make up for lack of speed.

Kudos to the modellers that created all these subtleties in a simulated flight behaviour!

JtD
09-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Actually even the slowest Spit V does 480 on the deck, and that would be the tropical V with 4 Hispano cannons. The fastest ones do 530, which is as fast as 109 G models go.

The VIII is very similar to the IX, as it should be, except for the extra fuel it carries and a slightly less draggy airframe.