PDA

View Full Version : Game Crashes and Graphic Glitch

rinks361
04-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Well I just got the PC version today, installed it and began playing. Immediately I noticed that there was severe lag when first running the game, but after restarting it started up much smoother.

Well, until the "second level" that is. Once I enter the building and get towards the balcony heading towards the first upgrade station, one of two things happens. The game will either freeze to a black screen and lock up my computer, or the graphics will go haywire and every thing will be distorted except for NPC's and Fisher, and then the game will black screen and freeze when I attempt to exit. By distorted graphics I mean there are textures spilled out all over the screen and all the walls and floors are see through.

I have the game running with all graphics settings to high (was the default when I started the game, I only turned AA up to max). PC Stats are:

Vista Ultimate x64
ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 (checked for new drivers)
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor (Black Edition)
8GB Ram
DX10 (checked for new drivers)
Sound Blaster X-Fi (checked drivers)

I haven't been able to figure out why it's doing this. I even disabled AA like it originally was, then disabled all advanced rendering options but it still black screens in the same location.

bubbaganoosh
04-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Similar issue here but my game will freeze and still play audio (I can crash it with task manager my computer doesn't freeze). Sometimes it just CTD's with no message or warning.

Intel i5
4 gigs
2 x 4870 1 gig ea
1920 x 1200
Windows 7 Pro 64

Other 4870 users on the Steam forums are also having issues.

sprecher12
04-27-2010, 04:59 PM
I am also getting random crashes - FREQUENTLY. Seems to happen when the action is about to heat up or when moving between rooms and such. Definitely REALLY frustrating.

Win 7 64
Radeon 4870 X2
i7 920 @ 3.4 Ghz
6GB RAM

rinks361
04-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Update: I was finally just crashed straight to the desktop and noticed in the task bar a yellow triangle with a ! and it said that the primary display driver has stopped working and has recovered or something along those lines. Still can't get past the same area though, but I did make it to the upgrade case once http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

andrew1211007
04-27-2010, 05:17 PM
What happens to me is that every once in a while the graphics get screwed up, I can move around, but there are NO objects, I'm just running around space. (sam NPC is gone too) I tried running game on lowest and it just made my game lag worse? Ubisoft better do something about this or I see a couple small claims suits if ubisoft declines refunds.

FredEx919
04-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Hello all, If you have an ATI card and are running into performance issues, make sure you have the latest display drivers and also try downloading this ATI hotfix (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATI-Catalyst-10-4-a-Hotfix.aspx) before playing and retry.

sprecher12
04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
trying the above now... will let you guys know if it works

andrew1211007
04-27-2010, 06:11 PM
fastest display fix I've ever seen ROFL

Will check back once I try it out

bubbaganoosh
04-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the reply Fred, will try it.

rinks361
04-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by FredEx919:
Hello all, If you have an ATI card and are running into performance issues, make sure you have the latest display drivers and also try downloading this ATI hotfix (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATI-Catalyst-10-4-a-Hotfix.aspx) before playing and retry.

THANKS A MILLION!!!! This worked for me! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

rinks361
04-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by rinks361:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FredEx919:

THANKS A MILLION!!!! This worked for me! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif Scratch that...I got past the 1st weapons upgrade station but now instead of black screen freezes the game just crashes period and I get the "blah blah has stopped working, close or close and check for solution (which there never is)" message and the same yellow triangle with the ! pops up with the primary display driver error again. But at least this is a step in the right direction. I don't have to keep restarting my pc now.

GoatDog_
04-27-2010, 07:46 PM
This Worked 100% for me! Thanks!

novaeffingbear
04-27-2010, 07:51 PM
I have vista.

I had 10.3 installed.

When i installed 10.4 it made a AMD folder instaed of installing in the ATI folder.

WHen the installation finished it said No ATI graphics driver is installed. Or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware? help please.

bubbaganoosh
04-27-2010, 08:48 PM
The ATI fix worked for me.

vinnotdiesel
04-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by novaeffingbear:
I have vista.

I had 10.3 installed.

When i installed 10.4 it made a AMD folder instaed of installing in the ATI folder.

WHen the installation finished it said No ATI graphics driver is installed. Or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware? help please.

Same thing here. Except my videocard is a hd 4850 and I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

So what now? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

vinnotdiesel
04-27-2010, 09:57 PM
I tried everything. Removing the drivers before installing the newest one from the ati drivers website. Not removing. Installing the hotfix, which ended up giving me the message "No ATI graphics driver is installed. Or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware" everytime and still not working. We waited a long time for this game and even put up with the delay for the pc version. Now these crashes and ridiculous framerate drops with ATI cards and the solution you can give us is a preview catalyst driver, so called hotfix that doesn't even resolve the problem? Come on guys... Seriously... You can do better.

chmun77
04-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by rinks361:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FredEx919:

THANKS A MILLION!!!! This worked for me! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you please explain how do you managed to installed the ATI fix? Do we need to install the ATI driver to the latest 10.3 version? Is there a need for us to uninstall the current latest drivers, then apply the patch?

I'm really fed up with the glitches and the freezing of the game after spending my cash on the original copy.... What the hell is Ubisoft doing?!

chmun77
04-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by vinnotdiesel:
I tried everything. Removing the drivers before installing the newest one from the ati drivers website. Not removing. Installing the hotfix, which ended up giving me the message "No ATI graphics driver is installed. Or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware" everytime and still not working. We waited a long time for this game and even put up with the delay for the pc version. Now these crashes and ridiculous framerate drops with ATI cards and the solution you can give us is a preview catalyst driver, so called hotfix that doesn't even resolve the problem? Come on guys... Seriously... You can do better.

Agree with you!

Is this what we get after spending out hard cash on the game?! With all the glitches and connection interruption!

We should have depend on the crack copy instead which is free from all these interruption.

Kaza4ok89
04-28-2010, 01:01 AM
Game crash after ~5 min of playing... simply go to desktop! plz help

http://s44.radikal.ru/i103/1004/96/a8df94384b05.png (http://www.radikal.ru)

ratnothin12
04-28-2010, 01:37 AM
Please someone help. I downloaded the update and now my computer is crashing when i play the game. my screen is turning weird color patterns. than my computer restarts. it seems to do it at every event that happens. What am i suppose to do now.

I love the story and the game but i cant play it. i dont want to be one of the complainers but something like this is worth saying. when i cant even get to the next part of a level unless the game forces a restart and messes up my screen. i want to enjoy this great game but the problems are so bad that its impossible. Plz Help

DrunkenMasta420
04-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Im having the issue where my pc restarts anywhere from 30-1 hour of play. I've updated my display driver, got a BSOD, with this 0x000000d1(0x9c387986, 0x00000002, 0x00000008, 0x9c387986) viahduaa.sys, viahduaa.sys, did the hotfix and am now able to play for about 1 1/2 hour give or take a few till it restarts.

im running XP pro(installing 7 ultimate 64 next week) ati 4850 x2

hope they put a patch out SOON

andrew1211007
04-28-2010, 04:23 AM
For those that have problems, did you make sure your graphics card is compatible??? I have an ATI Radeon 3xxx series. The update should work on:
# Splinter Cell Conviction - Resolves stability issues in the game when using a Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP based system with an:

* ATI Radeon HD 3xxx Series of products

# Splinter Cell Conviction - Resolves performance stuttering issues when using a Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP based system with an:

* ATI Radeon HD 2xxx Series of products
* ATI Radeon HD 4xxx Series of products
* ATI Radeon HD 5xxx Series of products
Which I believe that's everything... For those that were succesful, Congrats, for those that weren't go ***** at Ubisoft for making a big compatibility issue.

DrunkenMasta420
04-28-2010, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by andrew1211007:
For those that have problems, did you make sure your graphics card is compatible??? I have an ATI Radeon 3xxx series. The update should work on:
# Splinter Cell Conviction - Resolves stability issues in the game when using a Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP based system with an:

# Splinter Cell Conviction - Resolves performance stuttering issues when using a Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP based system with an:

* ATI Radeon HD 2xxx Series of products
* ATI Radeon HD 4xxx Series of products
* ATI Radeon HD 5xxx Series of products
Which I believe that's everything... For those that were succesful, Congrats, for those that weren't go ***** at Ubisoft for making a big compatibility issue.

I got mine through steam and they haven't put out the patch

darnokz
04-28-2010, 05:50 AM
its not patch , its driver from ATI 10.4a

chmun77
04-28-2010, 06:40 AM
I got mine working at least after installing the ATI 10.4a drivers! Woo~~~

Perhaps it's the driver compatibility after all. For those who have not solved the issue, try removing your existing drivers and get the ATI 10.4a from AMD site.

GermanJoe
04-28-2010, 06:52 AM
I ran into the same driver issues and BSOD crash (AMD X2, ATI4850 1GB, WinXP 32) and updated to the 10.4a HotFix driver. I was able to play through 4 missions last night, but this morning I got the missing textures / glitch menu again. I tried ATI's 3D "Performance" default settings and disabled Catalyst AI - all to no avail.

In spite of the release-day blues and general DRM complaints chatter, to my opinion SC Conviction is an awesome game - when it runs!

Cheers from WV,
Joe

OPN_andi9x17
04-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Hey guys,
i´m from the german forums. we all just got the message that all ATI graphic cards are not working. And the most of us, havent the game yet.

Have u guys some ideas about this problem?
i have
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2x2ghz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD3650.
Windows Vista 32bit
DX-11

I will get this game at April 30th. I removed the old 10.1 version and want to install the newest version. But i always get an error. What could be the damn Problem!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

bubbaganoosh
04-28-2010, 08:11 AM
You guys who have issues with ATI fix. Do you have the latest drivers before you apply the fix? I think if you have an older version than this fix addresses it may not work (like driver version 9.whatever).

I applied the ATI patch yesterday and played for many hours, including one or two on multiplayer, without a crash. I am running two 4870's.

vinnotdiesel
04-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by bubbaganoosh:
You guys who have issues with ATI fix. Do you have the latest drivers before you apply the fix? I think if you have an older version than this fix addresses it may not work (like driver version 9.whatever).

I applied the ATI patch yesterday and played for many hours, including one or two on multiplayer, without a crash. I am running two 4870's.

I have the 10.3 ati drivers. My card is a HD 4850. I tried installing the fix over the 10.3 drivers and also removing the 10.3 drivers before installing it. And still i got the good old message: "No ATI graphics driver is installed. Or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware". I really wanna know why this doesn't work. Should I blame Ubi? ATI? I don't care. I just wanna play the 60 dollar game I pre-ordered and anxiously waited for.

vinnotdiesel
04-28-2010, 08:38 AM
I tried AGAIN to install the 10.4a hotfix. This time AGAIN without removing the 10.3 driver and my video card stopped working properly and I got the following window alert message: "No ATI graphics driver is installed. Or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware"

Here is my installation log when I try to install the 10.4a hotfix:

Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
04/28/10 11:32:02

Hardware information
Name ATI Radeon Graphics Processor
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
Device ID 0x9442
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x030000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xe810
Subsystem vendor ID 0x174b
Other hardware
Existing packages
Catalyst Control Center
ATI Catalyst Install Manager
ATI Display Driver
HDMI/DP Audio Driver
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable
Communication Opt-in
AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding
Packages for install
Catalyst Control Center
Final Status: Success
Version of Item: 2010.0419.2150.37358
Size: 150 Mbytes
ATI Catalyst Install Manager
Version of Item: 3.0.769.0
Size: 20 Mbytes
ATI Display Driver
Version of Item: 8.723.5.0000
Size: 90 Mbytes
HDMI/DP Audio Driver
Version of Item: 7.11.0.7704
Size: 1 Mbytes
AVIVO
Version of Item: 11.1.0.50419
Size: 3 Mbytes
HydraVision
Version of Item: 4.2.148.0
Size: 6 Mbytes
AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding
Version of Item: 2.00.0000
Size: 1 Mbytes

Other detected devices
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
Device ID 0xaa30
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x040300
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xaa30
Subsystem vendor ID 0x174b

Error messages

HELP ANYONE?

boevejeroen
04-28-2010, 08:51 AM
I just downloaded the hotfix. It gave the same error message as with other people, but I just rebooted my pc, and that worked!

So I got the hotfix working, and CCC is saying that I have version 10.4 installed, so that's a start.

Im going to try the game right now.. I'll keep you guys posted.

PS
System:
Intel C2D E8500
4 GB Corsair DDR2
Asus P5Q PRO
Ati HD4870 512MB

parrotfive
04-28-2010, 09:12 AM
The ATI hotfix worked for me - Sapphire Vapor-X 4890

Solidmgsnake
04-28-2010, 10:14 AM
ATI 10.4a hotfix seems to have gotten rid of any instablity issues. The game is running a lot smooth now. Good stuff

bubbaganoosh
04-28-2010, 01:05 PM
To vinnotdiesel

You might try looking in your device manager and see if ther card shows there under disply adapters. You should able to unistall your card (if it shows there) and reboot. This may force Windows to rediscover your card and install it.

**You do this at your own risk. I am only suggesting something to try and if it screws up your system I'm not responsible. I have done this before to fix an issue and it has worked for me so I only suggect it.

andrew1211007
04-28-2010, 02:06 PM
For people still having problems with the hotfix ATI update, follow this exact guide!

Windows 7 (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GraphicsDriverInstallationInstructionforMicrosoftW indows7.aspx)
Windows Vista (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU-1-ATICatalystSuiteDriverWV.aspx)
Windows XP (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU-2-ATICatalystSuiteDriverXP.aspx)

rinks361
04-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Well I finally found a solution that works for me so far. I rolled back the ATI driver to 8.10 (many sites say that many issues didn't arise until after that driver) and so far the game runs great. I am actually pretty far in now.

BUT, I'm getting sick of ATI. I've always been using their graphics cards but I think I am going to give Nvidia a try. Will have to swap out for a new MoBo though, but I'm sick of every new game that comes out always having issues with ATI cards. Star Trek Online, LOTRO, Oblivion, Borderlands, and many others ALL have had issues with mostly just ATI cards only!

I always get games that come out for console and PC on the PC, especially RPG's. I don't want to see PC gaming go down the toilet, but if I can barely play a game on PC that runs fine on consoles it just makes no sense to keep upgrading and supporting ATI when there are so many issues. Hope this changes soon, if not I will give Nvidia attention or just start console gaming completely.

Ardent1
04-28-2010, 07:52 PM
The fix helped me initially. I was able to get past the second level, but my game inevitably has hangups and freezes from the VPU recovery after a little bit of time playing. The VPU recovery causes a variety of problems ranging from screen flickering, to freezing completely so that I have to restart my computer, to crashing my computer all together.

I'm using a Sapphire manufactured X3870 Toxic graphics card, and an Intel E8400 processor. Both are running at stock speeds, I haven't tried to overclock either. I'm using Windows XP Professional with service pack 3.

My drivers for my card were at 10.2 when these issues started, so I updated to 10.3. The issues actually seemed to happen easier, and more often after I upgraded and my Catalyst Control Center would no longer open. I upgraded again, this time to 10.4 and my CCC is still not working.

::ETA:: Also, when these things happen and my computer doesn't crash, my Direct3D capabilities go away. The videocard acts as if it has died.

Ardent1
05-02-2010, 12:21 AM
So...is this it? :\