PDA

View Full Version : Flaps

blazer-glory
05-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Ive only been playing Sturnovik for a little while and have noticed that when flying it,or landing to be more specific, I dont need to use the flaps and it lands fine without altering them. Is this a quirk in the game or is it possible in real life? They seem counter productive to me as they slow you down and raise the nose and you need to compensate by increasing the throttle and your back to square one.

blazer-glory
05-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Ive only been playing Sturnovik for a little while and have noticed that when flying it,or landing to be more specific, I dont need to use the flaps and it lands fine without altering them. Is this a quirk in the game or is it possible in real life? They seem counter productive to me as they slow you down and raise the nose and you need to compensate by increasing the throttle and your back to square one.

Taylortony
05-08-2005, 07:10 AM
you can land without flaps all be it a bit faster and hence a longer landing roll, but as you slow down you have to raise the nose and hence the aircraft becomes very close to the stall point of the wing, dropping the flap alters the camber of the wing and in effect changes its shape to that of a high lift wing, you can now land at a slower speed than previously possible without the fear of the wing stalling, the landing roll is shorter too....... you want to see the likes of a cessna 441 land with no flaps, it took most of the runway and wa so quick if he retacted the gear it would have made a nice low level beat up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

F19_Ob
05-08-2005, 07:10 AM
No its perfectly possible to land and take off without flaps.
The flaps just increase lift and enables very slow speeds without stalling wich was essential on short strips.

Taylortony
05-08-2005, 07:14 AM
one other thing, that is why you see fighters do a curved approach to the runway as you cant see over the nose when it comes up, so doing a curved approach they can see the runway out over the wing till they finally line up and drop it on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif the slower the better, on a carrier the fact you have power on is an advantage because if you miss the wire and have to go round you dont need to wait or the engine to accelerate

F19_Ob
05-08-2005, 07:33 AM
What Taylortony just described with the curved aproach is also a very good opportunity to take that last look behind to avoid ending up fired upon with your trousers down...wheels down and no speed I mean.

blazer-glory
05-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Okay, thanks guys. That pretty much answers it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mauld
05-09-2005, 06:10 AM
Flaps allow you to fly at slower air speeds and this provides slower ground speeds when you land into wind (not modeled). As for the nose rising you must slow the aircraft down to the correct landing speed before lowering flaps and trim the aircraft to maintain speed using elevator trim. use power to control your rate of descent you need more power to push the aircraft through the air with full flap your airspeed should not increase. Align the threshold of the runway with the top of the cowling and keep it there by adjusting throttle while maintaining approach speed constant. As you approach the threshold cut the power and flare smoothly. Pitch for Airspeed - Power for Hieght.

F19_Ob
05-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Oh...and I almost forgot. Later in the war the flaps really was of good use because many planes became heavier and loaded with droptanks, bombs, rockets and all the other stuff.

Still I've read many times that pilots barely made the takeoff by a meter or so from obstacles beyond the end of the airstrip when fully loaded.