PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of rockets

jugent
06-18-2005, 05:53 PM
I find that rockets from american and russian aircrafts is the best bomberkiller weapon in this game, but the only rocket produced for air to air-attack is a lucky-shoot weapon.

I have watched many videos about Thunderbolts, Beufighters and Tempest:s firing rockets on groundtargets.

They fire them in salvoes and the spread out like 4:th of July firecrackers.

Where there this game-precision for the real-life rockets?
Are there difference between anti-tank- and He-rockets?
There should be because the tanks where very hard to kill with HE-rockets.
Jonni Jonsson wrote that he examined a killed Tiger-tank and found small holes in the turret from anti-tank rocket with hollow-shaped warheads (HEAT).
A tiger could withstand a direct hit in the side-armour from a 10cm HE-shell, which should be more powerful than a air-to-ground HE-rocket

Are there many examples of how P-38 and other rocket-racketequipped aircrafts used rockets for shooting down bombers?
Heinz Knoke used big bombs with timer-blast to drop inside bomber formations.
He wrote that they killed some bombers with it.
The bomber-crews didnt understand what it was and reported the victims as flak-killed bombers.

bolillo_loco
06-18-2005, 10:14 PM
while flying the I-153P I can regularly get 50-75% accuracy while firing at moving aircraft :O

han freak solo
06-18-2005, 11:07 PM
In the game, I can only hit other AC with the rockets mounted on the I-16 or the Me-262. I haven't tried rockets from the I-153, aren't they the same as the I-16 rockets?

But, with the American rockets I can only hit ground targets. I wish they had air-to-air rockets that explode after a given time after launch. I don't know if that was real, but it would be cool.

JG27_Stacko
06-18-2005, 11:12 PM
I have been on the recieving end of p-38s HVAR Rockets in mid-air twice now in 4.01. One of them I watched come straight into the cockpit, it looked awesome! On that occasion it was a salvo that got me. But on the first occasion, I think it was just a single pair.

bolillo_loco
06-19-2005, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by han freak solo:
In the game, I can only hit other AC with the rockets mounted on the I-16 or the Me-262. I haven't tried rockets from the I-153, aren't they the same as the I-16 rockets?

But, with the American rockets I can only hit ground targets. I wish they had air-to-air rockets that explode after a given time after launch. I don't know if that was real, but it would be cool.

the russian rockets do explode, I believe you must set rocket delay. I think the 153 and I 16 use the same rockets.

Tully__
06-19-2005, 06:03 AM
but the only rocket produced for air to air-attack is a lucky-shoot weapon.

The German air-to-air rocket was designed to work like a flak shell....it was meant to explode in the middle of a formation and damage a lot of planes with shell fragments, not to be aimed at a specific aircraft.

VF-29_Sandman
06-19-2005, 09:05 AM
armor on a tank is thinnest on the top, thickest on the front and sides since most attacks from ground level would be most directed there.

FliegerAas
06-19-2005, 09:27 AM
My thoughts on the R4m and a question:
How do the R4m behave like in patch 4.04? (I had no time testing them yet) I always found they had horrible ballistics. I don't know about the RL performance but I read that they were fired from 1000m distance. The pilots used the Revi adjusted for MK108 yes, but at a higher distance. Also the R4m had a vmax of approx. 900 kph while the MK 108 had only about 520kph. So I don't understand why it (the R4m) has about the same ballistics as the mk108 (at least in previous versions of the game). Firing at bombers from 1000m is nearly impossible in game. Also the lack of a timed detonator makes it's use as a flak rocket impossible.
Any comments (exept flames) are wellcome.

VW-IceFire
06-19-2005, 09:34 AM
I have never hit anything with HVARs in the air. Only ground attack. I suspect the accuracy is maybe a bit high but it seems like they couldn't be that inaccurate as the video that Pingu put out of some footage shows that the Typhoon guys were consistently hitting targets along a line.

I think the real problem is that rockets and bombs would have a greater area of effect than we get. Particularly against tanks. There's no halfway damage for ground targets so its either all destroyed or not.