PDA

View Full Version : Abusive Players

Akasha_Ishtar
10-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok I had a huge problem with one player during the BETA that not only happened to me once but twice and the second time it got really out of hand. One player sadly I cannot remember his user name would abuse me alone over the mic in the nasty way, I know it was directed at me he would say my user name, he would complain due to the character I would pick and the way I was playing the game, now I was only playing it for fun itís only a game but he was taking it way too far. The second time around he had a friend of his join in and this is where it got way out of hand not only with name calling but threats on my life, which he did the first time as well and he would not back down either I was just there to try and enjoy the game. Twice this guy ruined the game, there was no need to anything like that and the fact the second time he had someone joining him abusing me to the point where I almost did not want to be on there on more is beyond the joke, what Iím asking is that there is something in the final game that will let you report people like this because damn that guy for sure needed to be banded!!!

Deathgrim666
10-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Akasha_Ishtar:
Ok I had a huge problem with one player during the BETA that not only happened to me once but twice and the second time it got really out of hand. One player sadly I cannot remember his user name would abuse me alone over the mic in the nasty way, I know it was directed at me he would say my user name, he would complain due to the character I would pick and the way I was playing the game, now I was only playing it for fun itís only a game but he was taking it way too far. The second time around he had a friend of his join in and this is where it got way out of hand not only with name calling but threats on my life, which he did the first time as well and he would not back down either I was just there to try and enjoy the game. Twice this guy ruined the game, there was no need to anything like that and the fact the second time he had someone joining him abusing me to the point where I almost did not want to be on there on more is beyond the joke, what Iím asking is that there is something in the final game that will let you report people like this because damn that guy for sure needed to be banded!!!

Pretty sure u can ban people for harasing you, or u can just mute him. But if he said death threats to you he will be a banned, just report it to psn or xbox live.

RandomRansom
10-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Some people are just loudmouthed jerks. The cool thing is that you can shut them up. If that ever happens again, then hit the start button, click on the "Abstergo Agents" option, and click on those who are being abusive or bothering you. That will effectively mute them for the entire time you're playing with them. Then they'll just be talking at a brick wall... nothing... because you'll not be able to hear them.

I wouldn't have any problem with a banning system to keep people in check (hence keeping a standard of etiquette). However, I think it would be a hard sell to ban someone forever. Maybe a temp ban for horrible behavior. They did, after all, pay for the game just like everybody else.

I think the Mute option is a decent way to prevent loss of game enjoyment, but I wouldn't mind a temporary ban if poor behavior is proven to be seen. I say "proven" because I wouldn't want everyone banning people for no good reason other than revenge (i.e. lying about unacceptable behavior in game just to give them a temporary ban).

EmperorxZurg
10-19-2010, 11:10 PM
you gotta hate trolls sometimes :/ they probably meant it as a joke, but like most trolls, took it to far. Don't take it personally and do what RandomRansom said. Either mute them using the abstergo agents thing, or (not sure if psn has this, I know xbox does) click on their username and from their profile file a complaint which can result in a temp ban

Xanatos2007
10-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the harsh world of online gaming, where sadly you're not in the same room as the other players. Which is probably a good thing because the worlds population would be significantly lower by now.

Actually that sounds like a pretty good idea...

P.S: Anyone else think there should be an MA 15+ rating for microphones? Or a "Your voice must be at least this deep to play" sign?

Jack-Reacher
10-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Looks like someone is knew to online gaming

Murcuseo
10-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
Or a "Your voice must be at least this deep to play" sign?

I like that idea, some kind of pitch analysis programme. The bonus would be all the smurfs would eventually lose their voices trying to hard to talk in a low register all the time. That's a win on so many levels. lol

@ the OP: There should be a way to mute them, if you spend all your time reporting players that abuse you you'll be wasting a lot of good play time. Hopefully there will be some kind of ignore list.

Account_Deleted
10-20-2010, 05:01 AM
toggle mute
toggle mute
report http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

extrememuffin
10-20-2010, 11:14 AM
P.S: Anyone else think there should be an MA 15+ rating for microphones? Or a "Your voice must be at least this deep to play" sign?

lol best idea i have heard all day. i just wish there was a +1 button so that i could make 5 accounts and press the button 5 times

Akasha_Ishtar
10-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by RandomRansom:
Some people are just loudmouthed jerks. The cool thing is that you can shut them up. If that ever happens again, then hit the start button, click on the "Abstergo Agents" option, and click on those who are being abusive or bothering you. That will effectively mute them for the entire time you're playing with them. Then they'll just be talking at a brick wall... nothing... because you'll not be able to hear them.

I wouldn't have any problem with a banning system to keep people in check (hence keeping a standard of etiquette). However, I think it would be a hard sell to ban someone forever. Maybe a temp ban for horrible behavior. They did, after all, pay for the game just like everybody else.

I think the Mute option is a decent way to prevent loss of game enjoyment, but I wouldn't mind a temporary ban if poor behavior is proven to be seen. I say "proven" because I wouldn't want everyone banning people for no good reason other than revenge (i.e. lying about unacceptable behavior in game just to give them a temporary ban).

Oh cheers for that if I happen to come across him during the final game I will have to do that because it was getting way out of hand, I mean I could handle most of the abuse been throw my way but when the death threats and when coming and the second round of it all when he had a mate join in with it all itís a bit too much. I have done online gaming for a bit now but man I have never had something like that happen to me and it was just beyond the joke.

I really like this idea to just a small problem for us chicks though some of us have rather high voices, I got on mine during the beta at one point and got mistaken for a 12 year old...lol

ninjasownu
10-20-2010, 10:07 PM
I dont understand the problem here? I mean I do but this happens all the time when I play. Whats the big deal? Just mute them if they are that annoying or start screaming back.

DeafAtheist
10-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Banning should NEVER be possible by players cuz that would leave the door open for abuse. People would ban people for unjust reasons...like banning someone who is playing better and winning more games. Banning someone cuz they don't have or don't use a mic... etc. Personally sometimes I hate the ability to kick players from a multiplayer game that most games already have cuz those are abused relentlessly.

Reporting abuse to PSN or Xbox Live is really the best and only option you have other than muting them or blocking them from being able to send you messages. Players who are constantly abusive and who get reported with greater frequency by different people will likely eventually be banned by Sony or Microsoft.

I can understand being cautious about death threats, but most-likely they aren't something to really worry about unless there's a logical reason to believe that the person can and would carry it out, like if they know who you are and where you live I'd be more worried about it than a random idiot on a video game server.

Best option really is just to report that kind of behavior to Sony or Microsoft depending on where it took place.

Theassassin4756
10-21-2010, 06:46 PM
ESRB: Experience May Change During Online Play.

on topic- dont ya hate people like that... that is why muting is so much fun!

Nick1021
10-21-2010, 07:09 PM
BooHoo. Would you like a lollypop to help you?
This is the internet. They don't mean it and death threats are fake.

Theassassin4756
10-21-2010, 07:31 PM
^ wow mature much?

RandomRansom
10-21-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't like how many people on here essentially said, "Oh, that's how internet gaming is. Deal with it," in one way or another (and varying amounts of severity). I wish that there was a higher standard out there. I mean, standards aren't the lowest acceptable behavior possible. They're so much more than that.

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy the game you're playing, but if that enjoyment can potentially detract from someone else enjoying their game, then maybe you're doing something sub-standard. Heck! I'd say, if you can't walk up to someone on the street or the opposing team you're playing in a real-life sport and say what you're saying over the mic, then don't say it. Don't use the anonymity of the inter-webs to show rude behavior that you wouldn't display if you were more exposed.

If you disagree with my analogy, then begin each game by stating your name and address. Then see how comfortable you are with relentlessly ragging on your opponents.

@Akasha_Ishtar

That annoys me even more. We already have a minority of female players out there. So, unless... or even if they were mistaking you for a 12-year-old boy, I find their behavior even less acceptable. I'm not saying you can't defend yourself or anything. I'm just saying people shouldn't provide more reasons for women to avoid playing. Add that gripe to my statement directly above.

Akasha_Ishtar
10-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I did try to get my mic to work so I could give the guy a piece of my mind both times but it never worked forgot to charge it, sure I could of put the tv on mute but hey that would of meant mucking about trying to find the tv remote, plus why give into him. We chicks we allowed to play games just as much as anyone else I was just there to enjoy my game and that was that, if I do come across him again and he starts on him which ya can bet he will I will be reporting him.

Nick1021
10-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Theassassin4756:
^ wow mature much?
This is the freakin internet kid. How do you think people would react with no moderation, communaction with no consequences?

Xanatos2007
10-21-2010, 09:30 PM
With common decency. Oh wait, that's just me...

ninjasownu
10-21-2010, 09:37 PM
I give respect where respect is deserved. Someone pulls a nice shot on me I tell him about it. If someone and I compliment each others game style then I show them decency and respect. Now if a 13 year old kid is like "yo your a hacker. you suck, ect. I am going to call him out on it and fight back. Sure its childish and everything but its fun to me anyhow. You show me respect and I will show you respect.

Akasha_Ishtar
10-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Iím like that myself, I wonít be rude to you if you wonít me to be, as far as Iím concerned as long as ya show me respect you get the same back but as soon as you start on me I will do the same I was just gutted my mic was flat both days been keeping it charged ever since.

Nick1021
10-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Akasha_Ishtar:
Iím like that myself, I wonít be rude to you if you wonít me to be, as far as Iím concerned as long as ya show me respect you get the same back but as soon as you start on me I will do the same I was just gutted my mic was flat both days been keeping it charged ever since.
Just mute people that annoy you. But sometimes get into a giant insult war with them, it is sometimes quite fun.

RandomRansom
10-21-2010, 10:18 PM

No. That's me too. I do get frustrated at times, but I don't go off and start yelling at people or anything. After all, it is frustrating to get killed only feet away from your contract or respawn yards (or less) away from your assassin... but that's all part of the game (unless they fix that second one). What shouldn't be part of the game is cocky mouth spewers who love nothing more than to threaten others or rub in when they did or are doing well.

I guess I'll have to be satisfied with reporting them and muting them because standards on the internet seem to be mostly absent (Xanatos, I, and others seem to be trying to keep them alive, though).

DoomKnight10
10-21-2010, 11:09 PM

Not just you. Personally, in all games with PvP, where you can chat with both sides easily, at the beginning I say good luck, at the end I say good game. It doesnt matter if I win or lose, I still say it. Its just being respectfull. Plus, its just a game. Although, I will admit that I do get really annoyed sometimes when people get tons of kills in the cheapest way possible.

Big-Boss_777
10-23-2010, 12:59 AM
i hated that i couldnt find a mute toggle option in the beta for muting kids with awful mics that sounded like they were in an airplane...

very annoying stuff

SWJS
10-23-2010, 02:19 AM
I will admit that I do get really annoyed sometimes when people get tons of kills in the cheapest way possible.
Like spawn killers, campers and the like? I whole-heartedly agree. While playing Halo Reach, my entire team left, and I was by myself. Against six people. And I will admit, I'm not the best player ever. They decided to take advantage of this by taking positions over my spawn points and spawn killing me the entire game, then, after winning, teabagged me just to rub it in. Needless to say, I was more than furious.

I do hope Brotherhood can somehow miraculously prevent detritus like that from happening.

Crucify Lucifer
10-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Nick1021:
BooHoo. Would you like a lollypop to help you?
This is the internet. They don't mean it and death threats are fake.

Although I'd hardly put it the same way, I am having trouble wrapping my mind around the OP's problem. If someone is bothering you, how hard is it to mute them? And it's one thing to not tolerate foul language but..to call it abuse? That's a bit of a stretch. Even with the death threats, on COD I'll always hear "I'm gonna rape you so hard when i get my ac130 punk" should I file for sexual harrassment? The insults and comments only get worse from there. I can understand if you find the person's behavior inappropriate or disappointing, but to let it ruin your enjoyment of a game sounds like personal insecurity to me.

And believe me, people like that only do it because they are trying to cope with their own insecurities and ignore the blatant failures they've turned out to be.

Stormpen
10-23-2010, 06:14 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
I hope LOTR: Online isn't like this.

Xanatos2007
10-23-2010, 06:16 AM
It probably will be, I bet there'll be racial unrest between the humans, elves & dwarves.

Speaking of racism in LOTR, anybody notice there aren't any black people in Middle Earth?

itsamea-mario
10-23-2010, 06:18 AM
urukai are sort of black.

Stormpen
10-23-2010, 06:26 AM
And they smell bad.

It probably will be, I bet there'll be racial unrest between the humans, elves & dwarves.

Speciesm more like it.
I remember a a quote about it:

'In Middle Earth, black and white live in perfect harmony and gang up on green."

itsamea-mario
10-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Thats given ,me an idea on how to solve racism, we create a lesser 'b***h' race of humanoids, and everybody can take their racial unrest out on them. genious.

Xanatos2007
10-23-2010, 06:33 AM
You mean redheads? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Everybody seems to have a problem with redheads, in Australia at least. It's not contagious
for Christ's sake.</pre>

itsamea-mario
10-23-2010, 06:34 AM
probably the lack of a soul.

i do believe this may be one of my most offensive days, and its only midday.

Xanatos2007
10-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Oh I'm sure you could do a lot better after a few pints.

Stormpen
10-23-2010, 06:40 AM
You mean redheadswith thick glasses, freckles, runny noses and braces? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Xanatos2007
10-23-2010, 06:52 AM
And that horribly distracting wandering eye. <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Of Sauron.</span>

FrankieSatt
10-23-2010, 06:58 AM
The question was asked in another topic why wouldn't someone like Multiplayer.

I think this topic is case in point as to one reason why.

Telling people "use the mute button" doesn't solve the problem it only hides it. You can still be abused by the individual by constantly being targeted and attacked in game and pretty much have your gaming experienced ruined other ways than a loud mouthed jerk.

Reporting someone is basically "Your word against theirs". Even if multiple people report someone it's still the same thing.

Online gaming just isn't very fun when you have loud mouth jerks playing and it's unavoidable no matter what game you play.

Just one reason why I don't bother with it.

Nick1021
10-23-2010, 08:47 AM
I think we have a serious case of daywalkers. This just gives use more evidence that kyle was connected with 9/11

itsamea-mario
10-23-2010, 08:56 AM
well that was...

General_Lekauf
10-23-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't see why there has to be jerks out there who make fun of you gamer tag or how you play or what weapon or charachter you use. I agree it can get annoying if your constantly killed but it doesn't give them the right to make fun of other people. And I also never got the whole girls can't play videogames thing. I am a guy but I don't mind it if I see a girl playing a game. I really never saw what was so bad with it . One time I was playing COD4 on the pc and there was a girl getting harrased and I basically told the people playing to back off and they did. The morale of the storr is that internet bullies are bullying you because of 1 your better at the game than them 2 they are insecure because of having no life. I'm not saying thats all the reasons I mean some people are jerks by nature. Well if they bother you mute them or continually massacre them till they get fed up and leave the game.

DeafAtheist
10-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Nearly 30% of gamers are female. While the gaming industry is still mostly male-dominated there are literally a TON of female gamers who are just as good as or even better than their male peers. My best female friend (and ex-girlfriend) has both a PS3 & Xbox 360. She can beat me quite a bit in some games we play together and I'm not a bad player. Last night we were playing PVP in Red Dead together and she destroyed me in a Gold Rush game and I'm ranked within the top 500 players in Gold Rush (or at least I was last month. I haven't checked the leaderboards in awhile.) Then we played a Shootout match and the match ended in a tie that had to be broken with the next kill. I won that, but she gave me serious competition. I also have been playing Red Dead fairly regularly since it came out. I had pre-ordered it. She only rented it from Gamefly once before and held on to it for about a month then she just recently got it back a few days ago. So she gives me that much competition with much less experience with the game.

The fact that she is such a great player makes her a lot of fun to play with cuz she's challenging.

I don't get guys who give female gamers a hard time because personally I'd much rather have a girlfriend who was a gamer herself than one who constantly nagged me about how much I play video games. So the very last thing I'd expect an intelligent male gamer to do is to try to discourage women from playing games by harassing them.

X10J
10-23-2010, 03:54 PM
sorry mate, but welcome to online play.