PDA

View Full Version : Why is my aircraft always the slowest?

Catandra
11-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey Gents,

This is a continual source of frustration for me. I usually fly Japanese planes, from all time periods during the Pacific war and it seems that not matter who I fly against, I'm always on the losing end of the stick, in terms of performance.

The other day, I was flying a dogfight against four P-40s (there were three other A6M3 Zeros, besides my own) and my side consistently lost. Primarily because I could neither catch them in a dive, nor in a climb. In a straight and level chase, they consistently pull away. I felt like I was fighting against Corsairs or something. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

I find this to be true with nearly every dogfight, whether its a Ki-84 versus a Mustang or Hellcat or a George in a similar situation.

Not only that, my wingmen can also fly faster than I. In situations where I am at maximum speed, my wingman appear to have about 50 extra hp to climb and dive, outperforming my plane.

What gives?

VW-IceFire
11-14-2007, 06:13 PM
The AI are superbly good at making sure their plane is flying to the maximum of its abilities. Its not, in my opinion, exceeding whats possible just that they do things with such perfection its sometimes a bit disheartening. That said I've found it not too hard to keep up with the AI but I've been flying this game for a while and I'm usually faster than some people online even with the same plane/settings.

The key is trim and engine settings. If you aren't using it that much you need to start. I'm almost constantly trimming to keep the plane flying in as straight a line as possible. Japanese planes show the side slip of an aircraft using a small ball or bead just like the American aircraft do. If that ball isn't centered then your plane is side slipping and thus the drag is increased somewhat.

As far as the engine just know when to engage the second stage supercharger and you're usually golden. Opening radiators obviously slows you down so keep these closed.

The other thing is that you need to think about your speed at all times. Air combat is more of a chess game in the grand scheme and you need to be concerned with how fast your plane is going or how fast you plane could be going in a few moments all the time. If you're turning tight turns all the time then the enemy will be faster even when they are turning what looks like a tight turn you're straining just that bit more to get a shot off and thats where they get you.

Also its not surprising that a P-40 managed to get away from you in a dive. Thats a classic P-40 move...if they got into trouble with Zeros most good pilots wouldn't stay and try to turn...they would dive and be out of there.

JG52Karaya-X
11-15-2007, 04:29 AM
What you can do flying the A6M offline against AI P40s:

The Zero turns much better and climbs faster (continuous climb) but is somewhat slower in level flight and outdived by the P40 pretty easily. Now the trick against the AI is to not give chase to them, because as you already said you sometimes simply cant catch up to them, but instead start a spiral climb getting as much altitude on your enemy as you can. Always keep an eye on him because he will eventually reverse and come straight at you, thats where you want to roll over and pounce him from above with your established altitude advantage --> easy meat!