PDA

View Full Version : OT: modern jet novels?

Estocade85
11-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Does anyone know good novels that involve modern jets? I'm looking for something that has an actual GOOD plot, not some "dude who saves the world from a terrorist attack by downing the entier russian airforce by himself" kinda book http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Any ideas? Thanks!

LEXX_Luthor
11-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Funny, the other day I was thinking about years ago when I saw on sale an old paperback novel about a French Mirage III pilot.

This may be it, not sure...

Mirage, by James Follet
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0413140407/102-4563385...846&s=books&v=glance (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0413140407/102-4563385-4628914?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance)

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Dale Brown is a U.S. author (ex jet-jockey, I think) who has written lots of modern aviation based thrillers. Don't know how far fetched his plotlines are though - just remembered him from my time in a library. A lot of Tom Clancy fans were taken with his books, if that's any help.

Sharpe26
11-22-2005, 01:25 AM
Larry Bond's Red Phoenix is supposed to have used a sim for his portrayal of the dogfights.

puhakka-GB
11-22-2005, 02:47 AM
FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER BY STEPHEN COONTZ. EXCELLENT, AND SOOO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM!!!!

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-22-2005, 03:03 AM
That's the chappie! Stephen Koontz. I got him confused with Dean Coontz the horror writer. Anyway, he's another popular author with a few titles under his belt.

Lucius_Esox
11-22-2005, 04:19 AM
Stephen Coonts all the way. He was an Intruder pilot in Vietnam and his description of combat flying shows this. His writing just has something most others haven't, recomend most of his earlier stuff.

timraven
11-22-2005, 06:30 AM
Exclusion Zone by John Nichol. He was shot down over Iraq in the first Gulf War in a Tornado, a very good book also by him is Tornado Down which is about his experiences.

timraven

Slickun
11-22-2005, 07:25 AM
There are about 6 books about Viet-Nam flying by Mark Berent. Some of the titles are "Steel Tiger" and, oh well. Well written, same characters. Great stuff.

AH_Gonzo
11-22-2005, 10:20 AM
My favorite aviation reads and authours:

Stephen Coonts:
Flight Of The Intruder, Final Flight (Just a little far fetched but excellent read), Intruders. All feature the same main character.

Gerry Carrol:
Ghost Rider One. Excellent book by a real US Navy pilot about an A-4 squadron during the battle of Khe San in Vietnam.

Derek Robinson:
Piece Of Cake. Long but excellent read about a Hurrican Squadron durng the Phoney War and early Battle of Britain. I know it's not a "jet" book but it's worth mentioning.

Mark Berrent:
Rolling Thunder, Steel Tiger, Phanton Leader, Eagle Squadron, Storm Flight. Excellent set of books that feature the main characters flying with vbarious squadrons during the Vietnam war.

Tom Wilson:
Termite Hill, Lucky's Bridge. Excellent books and probably my favorite about a F-105 squadron operating over North Vietnam.

ytareh
11-22-2005, 03:00 PM
"Firefox" was both a book and film (starring Clint Eastwood!!)I reckon it was based on the Foxbat....As much ground as air based content though...still a good holiday read...I forget the author but it was one of the big blockbuster novel guys...

ploughman
11-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Craig Thomas. Also wrote a sequel 'Firefox Down', or something like that was dedicated to Clint Eastwood. Clint didn't make it into a sequel though.

Tooz_69GIAP
11-22-2005, 04:13 PM
It's not a novel, but it's a very good read:

"Sharkey's War" about the role of the Harrier in the Falklands War. Very candid, and to the point in many respects, and very interesting.

Weather_Man
11-22-2005, 05:55 PM
I'd go for Stephen Coonts. All of his novels are hard to put down, and I've read them all. Start with Flight of the Intruder and work your way down the list so you can see what Jake Grafton is up to in the next one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The novels do venture more and more into the land of make-believe after the first one, but it's still exciting combat stuff.

FA_Razor
11-22-2005, 07:36 PM
for something a little different...try

"Taxi Dancer" by Joeseph Heywood. Out of print but scads of them available used on amazon.com for about $1.25. I've known Joe for a couple years and he's a great guy. Ex airforce circa vietnam (flew as a "boomer" on a refueling plane).

Also, he wrote a terrific book "the Berkut" about a russian hunter-killer team at the end of WWII tracking down Hitler (who faked his suicide). One of the best written and most fascinating books I've ever read (and I've read a LOT).

Enforcer572005
11-22-2005, 08:17 PM
The sixth battle by Barret Tillman...a bit dated now, but about a carrier battle between us and soviet navy off south africa.....also by him is a GREAT book called Warriors, about an american "contractor" training saudi pilots on F20s and the ensuing war with isreal....really well done.

Gerry carrol, who died i think, also wrote North SAR, about navy rescue ops in vietnam, but alot of jet action, and an incredible book, called by Clancy "the best first novel i ever read". Carrol flew SH3s in nam on such rescue misns.

I highly recomend and second the book "red Phoenix, by larry bond. The best book about a modern korean war....the shooting starts off pretty quickly and involves alot of air action, including an Ace NK pilot in a Mig29 and a USAF ace in an F16. At least as good as tom clancy's red storm rising.

Theres a series of modern books starting out in F4Es against the libyans, then going into F15Es, but i cant remember his name.

dugong
11-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by puhakka-GB:
FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER BY STEPHEN COONTZ. EXCELLENT, AND SOOO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM!!!!

I love this story:

I met him once. He visited our school for a career day. I was casually eating lunch next to him and did not know it. Another teacher, knowing of my interest in flight sims, mentioned he flew jets in Viet Nam. I casually but sincerely replied "I bet he has some good stories." Later I found out who he was. His step son (I think it was a step son) was in the art class I was teaching at the time. I was tempted to send something home to get signed!

To keep things on topic, I read about, possibly by Dale Brown, about a fighter jet called Cheetah or something like that. It was a really cool book. Does anyone know what book that is?

puhakka-GB
11-26-2005, 05:51 AM
dugong
you're right it was dale brown it was called day of the cheetah. he was a bombadier/ nav on b52s and fb111s.
he also wrote;

Flight of the Old Dog (1987)
Day of the Cheetah (1989)
Sky Masters (1990)
Night of the Hawk (1992)
Shadows of Steel (1996)
The Tin Man (1998)
Battle Born (1999)
Warrior Class (2001)
Wings of Fire (2002)
Air Battle Force (2003)
Plan of Attack (2004)

BaldieJr
11-26-2005, 08:16 AM
I found some of these at the local library and meant to read them but I found some great knitting books.