PDA

View Full Version : New server - private members ONLY

Zoom2136
05-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Just a quick question... who would be interested in a server that only allowed a selected group of people to fly... could be a few hundreds...

These could be people that have demonstrated a certain level of skill or camaraderie. Also there ping could be one of the factors.

I for one would aim for people that have demonstrated that they are team and objective oriented. By this I was thinking of a Warcloud or Spits vs 109 type server (full real or almost full real). These people should also be civil so that no "Chat bar" insult are slung.

Finally I believe that such a server should be PAY to PLAY... like a 5$/month so that the guy running it can cover his expenses and get "compensated" for keeping the thing up to date and running smoothly...

Zoom2136
05-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Just a quick question... who would be interested in a server that only allowed a selected group of people to fly... could be a few hundreds...

These could be people that have demonstrated a certain level of skill or camaraderie. Also there ping could be one of the factors.

I for one would aim for people that have demonstrated that they are team and objective oriented. By this I was thinking of a Warcloud or Spits vs 109 type server (full real or almost full real). These people should also be civil so that no "Chat bar" insult are slung.

Finally I believe that such a server should be PAY to PLAY... like a 5$/month so that the guy running it can cover his expenses and get "compensated" for keeping the thing up to date and running smoothly...

DooDaH2007
05-28-2007, 09:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yes I would like to be a member but would NOT want to pay foy it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

should have been my vote...

a few hundred players paying 5$ a month would get you a very nice server though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Freelancer-1
05-28-2007, 09:47 AM
That sounds a lot like charging a monthly fee to join a squad.

And why do that with so many squads out there that run their own servers with a limited membership that all know and trust each other?

I voted a big NO!

FE_pilot
05-28-2007, 09:53 AM
i like the idea but that pay to play idea is not for most people.

What do you mean by "compensated"? We pay to play and someone makes a hefty profit. Nah because if you sign up 300(just an estimate) players paying 5 dollars a month to play:

Well thats $1500 dollars for the person running the server.

Now thats compensation and then some. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Besides enough people are already in squads running their own servers.

only way i would pay 5 dollars a month is for a premium membership like whats on WarClouds.

And a server running scenarios with planes from the period that are included in the game. The first scenario being the battle Of Britain and moving on from there.

Viper2005_
05-28-2007, 10:09 AM
I'd join such a server if given the chance, but I wouldn't pay to play.

xTHRUDx
05-28-2007, 10:41 AM
supply and demand, Zoom.

there is way more supply than demand at the moment. but then again, if you apply that to the bottled water market it would prove it self wrong.

Xiolablu3
05-28-2007, 10:46 AM
THRUD got it spot on.

There are far too many free quality servers, providing many different settings and quality scenarios, such as Historia, Spits Vs 109's, Ukdedicated1/2/3, Warclouds, 334th, Rnzolis Coop etc etc.
Then add to that the many Coops flying each night from Hyperlobby. There is always a quality game to be found.

The server may work, but not pay to play. There are many many empty free servers out there which may very well be excellent quality. Just noone tries them because there are quality 'known' servers.

People are very willing to donate to a server they love, I know that Ukdedicated has many many people donating, purely for love of the servers, but I am sure if they 'demanded' payment they would get far far less numbers.

Zoom2136
05-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Yep I understand that paying for such a service could be considered by some to much...

I my opinion 5$/month is only a symbolic figure (could be 2$, 3$, 4$ or 5$ whatever)... We got to realize that running a well organized server cost $$$ and is very time consuming... so I for one would not considered paying a nominal amount to expensive... but I understand a lot of you are on a tight budget...

My idea would be to limit access to a server... so that you don't have a moron with to much time on his hands that comes in only to shoot friendlies... or other lame thing like this...

I'm part of a squad (and have been for quite some time (VFA-25, OAC and now SAF) and can tell you that having a private server for a couple hundred well respected pilot (for their camaraderie) is not the same thing as flying with a couple of squad mates... think of it on a larger scale...

Xiolablu3
05-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Hi Zoom,

I dont hitnk there are too many Teamkillers on the good servers are there? Certainly if you register on UKdedicated forums and the admins know and trust you, or you are on Teampspeak with them, they will ban a player as soon as he teamkills, just from you telling them. I know that if I told an admin I was deliberatly teamkilled on UKded, they would most likely instantly ban the player meaning there is not much of a problem there.

I recommend you join your favourite srvers forum, get to know the admins so that they know you are an honorable player. Get on teampseak with them and as soon as you are teamkilled they will instantly take serious action against the player, because they know and trust you to be telling the truth.

I am sure I know you from Ukded2? Are you the same Zoom?

Last time I was teamkilled on that server, the guilty player was banned with seconds of commiting the act.

BfHeFwMe
05-28-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm sorry, but as the game stands now, there's nothing worth paying for in a dogfight arena. It's a dead environment, no moving ships, no active ground war. Pay for that? LoL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Jaws2002
05-28-2007, 12:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zoom2136:
Yep I understand that paying for such a service could be considered by some to much...

I my opinion 5$/month is only a symbolic figure (could be 2$, 3$, 4$ or 5$ whatever)... We got to realize that running a well organized server cost $$$ and is very time consuming... so I for one would not considered paying a nominal amount to expensive... but I understand a lot of you are on a tight budget...

My idea would be to limit access to a server... so that you don't have a moron with to much time on his hands that comes in only to shoot friendlies... or other lame thing like this...

I'm part of a squad (and have been for quite some time (VFA-25, OAC and now SAF) and can tell you that having a private server for a couple hundred well respected pilot (for their camaraderie) is not the same thing as flying with a couple of squad mates... think of it on a larger scale... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I played Pay per play ww2 sims for quite a while. they are fun but they are fun because those games are MASSIVE MULTI PLAYER.
I could join the server at 3 o'clock in the morning and still over 100 guys to play with.
At peak time Aces high for instance had around 700 players online in the same server. You can do all kind of fun things with that many players in one room. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif All that for around 12.5$/month. I was paying for about 7 months even after i stopped playing regularly just for the occasional fun.
Is nothing you can do to IL-2 to get that kind of game going. You can't get people to pay a monthly bill for a game they can play somewhere else for free or for occasional donation.
I would pay a monthly bill without even thinking if someone could make a massive multi player out of the huge content we have in this game.
But with this same game we play for free you can't expect people to want to pay.

Zoom2136
05-28-2007, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Hi Zoom,

I dont hitnk there are too many Teamkillers on the good servers are there? Certainly if you register on UKdedicated forums and the admins know and trust you, or you are on Teampspeak with them, they will ban a player as soon as he teamkills, just from you telling them. I know that if I told an admin I was deliberatly teamkilled on UKded, they would most likely instantly ban the player meaning there is not much of a problem there.

I recommend you join your favourite srvers forum, get to know the admins so that they know you are an honorable player. Get on teampseak with them and as soon as you are teamkilled they will instantly take serious action against the player, because they know and trust you to be telling the truth.

I am sure I know you from Ukded2? Are you the same Zoom?

Last time I was teamkilled on that server, the guilty player was banned with seconds of commiting the act. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope the UK2 "Zoom" is not me... I only fly on WC (and lately Spits vs 109's) and I am what you could consired a regular of WC flying almost daily for the last few years...

I'm asking the above question because with every new release comes a new bunch of people to the game... some are great and help to make sims more popular but some are well less than great and try to make this sim into an airquake and shoot anything that moves when they get boared...

I think this sort of server could be viable when BOB:SoW comes as it should bring in a lot of new player to the game... with all the good and the bad that brings...

Zoom2136
05-28-2007, 02:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jaws2002:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zoom2136:

I'm part of a squad (and have been for quite some time (VFA-25, OAC and now SAF) and can tell you that having a private server for a couple hundred well respected pilot (for their camaraderie) is not the same thing as flying with a couple of squad mates... think of it on a larger scale... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I played Pay per play ww2 sims for quite a while. they are fun but they are fun because those games are MASSIVE MULTI PLAYER.
I could join the server at 3 o'clock in the morning and still over 100 guys to play with.
At peak time Aces high for instance had around 700 players online in the same server. You can do all kind of fun things with that many players in one room. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif All that for around 12.5$/month. I was paying for about 7 months even after i stopped playing regularly just for the occasional fun.
Is nothing you can do to IL-2 to get that kind of game going. You can't get people to pay a monthly bill for a game they can play somewhere else for free or for occasional donation.
I would pay a monthly bill without even thinking if someone could make a massive multi player out of the huge content we have in this game.
But with this same game we play for free you can't expect people to want to pay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep I hear you... this would be great if iL2 could accomodate that many players... I know how these massive multiplayer can be fun..

Hell I'm paying for an EVE Online account that I stop using over a year ago just in case I decide to get back in the game.... this make for an highly skilled pilot though....

Finally our prayer might be answer by Oleg himself as he indicated wanting to go that way with BOB and include an AIR/LAND/SEA sim all in one attractive PAY for PLAY game.... can you say sweettttttttttttttttttttttttttttt http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Korolov1986
05-28-2007, 03:15 PM
If BoB goes PtP, then they better make sure those of us who don't care for MMOs get a chance to host our own servers and play without having to throw cash for it.

I am not a big fan of PtP. I'll pay 50-60 bucks for the product, but I won't pay any more to play it.

Swivet
05-28-2007, 03:58 PM
PTP?....... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
I might if it were mixed coops or campaigns, and well worth it.

Divine-Wind
05-28-2007, 04:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jaws2002:

But with this same game we play for free you can't expect people to want to pay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep I hear you... this would be great if iL2 could accomodate that many players... I know how these massive multiplayer can be fun..

Hell I'm paying for an EVE Online account that I stop using over a year ago just in case I decide to get back in the game.... this make for an highly skilled pilot though....

Finally our prayer might be answer by Oleg himself as he indicated wanting to go that way with BOB and include an AIR/LAND/SEA sim all in one attractive PAY for PLAY game.... can you say sweettttttttttttttttttttttttttttt http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If Oleg makes BoB:SoW an all-inclusive air-land-sea sim and makes it pay to play, I can guarantee 75% of his fan-base will leave.
If you take an flight sim and add the ground and naval aspects of warfare and add a fee to it, it just becomes a pay-to-play Battlefield 1942. The Battlefield series is screwed up as it is, no need to go and copy it.

Jaws2002
05-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Nobody is talking about BOB but a game that could use all those goodies that come with BOB for a massive multiplayer game.

i did play Aces High, Fighter Ace, WW2 online, Warbirds (but just for a short period) and i tell you those things are awesome. You can't beat flying with/against humans, and you can't beat flying with/against a lot of humans. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

There's a huge market out there for this things and all the games that provide this kind of fun are all really old and look crappy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

crazyivan1970
05-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Chances of BOB go PTP are almost zero.

crazyivan1970
05-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Nobody is talking about BOB but a game that could use all those goodies that come with BOB for a massive multiplayer game.

i did play Aces High, Fighter Ace, WW2 online, Warbitds (but just for a short period) and i tell you those things are awesome. You can't beat flying with/against humans, and you can't beat flying with/against a lot of humans. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can vouch for that! WW2Online with 1900 players online, experiance that i will never forget. Same with fighter ace, Saturday events... like massive raid on Berlin... with 900 human operated planes on one server... mmaaan. Those were the days http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PBNA-Boosher
05-28-2007, 07:57 PM
I would never go PtP, just not worth it for me. It sounds like a good idea to me except for the paying part.

Zoom2136
05-29-2007, 07:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Korolov1986:
If BoB goes PtP, then they better make sure those of us who don't care for MMOs get a chance to host our own servers and play without having to throw cash for it.

I am not a big fan of PtP. I'll pay 50-60 bucks for the product, but I won't pay any more to play it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is not going to be BOB for say but a derivitive... so all of you that are on a tight budget will still have what we have here with iL2 and those of us that want to experience AIR/SEA/LAND war will have our little pet to play with...

Can you imagine providing air cover for you'r M8s going at it with tanks...

When I look at EVE Online with over 20 000 players on almost daily... I do think that making such a game will be very succesfull....

rnzoli
05-29-2007, 07:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When I look at EVE Online with over 20 000 players on almost daily... I do think that making such a game will be very succesfull.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excuse my dumb question, but why 20.000 players are so exciting? I am just guessing, but if 20.000 people would play in a single IL-2 server, you could not fight more than maybe 100 or 200 maximum during a day. So... hmm... what's so exciting about 19.800 other players you don't get the chance to meet? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

Yellonet
05-29-2007, 07:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Chances of BOB go PTP are almost zero. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What do you mean "almost"? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

M_Gunz
05-29-2007, 08:29 AM
You'll never make it work. Once people know that it is private to keep jerks out, the next time
someone teamkills or whatever the rest have an issue with the operator, "this was not supposed
to happen".

How can you enforce the privacy? PW? Any jerk with a friend that behaves will be told the new
PW once the change is made. In fact a whole crew of jerks can find out through one friend.
Will you ban by IP address when many have dynamic address? Ban everyone with the same local
provider? The 1337's will get around even that and laugh even louder to have gotten past your
'defenses' and $#!+ on whoever is on the server just for juvenile laffs.

You can't be public and private at the same time and if you are dealing with people you don't
know then you are essentially public. I paid $800 membership to a gym long ago and 6 months
later some new member infected the hot dip and sauna with herpes. That was after they dropped
the price and flooded the place so badly it was hard to get in and finish a workout in under
an hour or so just for waiting in lines to use the equipment. 'Lucky' me, I quit going months
before the article in the paper and only lost money.

This is an example of what it costs to rent hosting. (http://www.gameservers.com/)

Philipscdrw
05-29-2007, 08:43 AM
I think you'd be discriminating against all the public members! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

As a member of the public I must say "no".

WhtBoy
05-29-2007, 11:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
How can you enforce the privacy? PW? Any jerk with a friend that behaves will be told the new
PW once the change is made. In fact a whole crew of jerks can find out through one friend.
Will you ban by IP address when many have dynamic address? Ban everyone with the same local
provider? The 1337's will get around even that and laugh even louder to have gotten past your
'defenses' and $#!+ on whoever is on the server just for juvenile laffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's easy, just put it on a VPN and issue a username/password and a digital cert to all users.

I've thought about it before but the lack of response to the dedicated co-op servers made me give it up.

My plan was to charge $12/year and require the use of team speak and introduce my IL-2 radar/anti-exploit program as well. But, as I said, lack of interest moved me to other things.

--Outlaw.

Zoom2136
05-29-2007, 11:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rnzoli:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When I look at EVE Online with over 20 000 players on almost daily... I do think that making such a game will be very succesfull.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excuse my dumb question, but why 20.000 players are so exciting? I am just guessing, but if 20.000 people would play in a single IL-2 server, you could not fight more than maybe 100 or 200 maximum during a day. So... hmm... what's so exciting about 19.800 other players you don't get the chance to meet? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a remark as to the potential market... nothing more.... because by doing so you will attract FPS types, naval freeks and us the die hard air sims fan... so you are actually reaching 3 markets instead of just one (which is consideres a niche market)....

Salute

Zoom2136
05-29-2007, 11:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
You'll never make it work. Once people know that it is private to keep jerks out, the next time
someone teamkills or whatever the rest have an issue with the operator, "this was not supposed
to happen".

'defenses' and $#!+ on whoever is on the server just for juvenile laffs.

You can't be public and private at the same time and if you are dealing with people you don't
know then you are essentially public. I paid $800 membership to a gym long ago and 6 months
later some new member infected the hot dip and sauna with herpes. That was after they dropped
the price and flooded the place so badly it was hard to get in and finish a workout in under
an hour or so just for waiting in lines to use the equipment. 'Lucky' me, I quit going months
before the article in the paper and only lost money.

This is an example of what it costs to rent hosting. (http://www.gameservers.com/) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope all server have ban list... just include a "allowed" list... all other are not allowed to join... no password no nothing...

Man you guys are really attached to your $$$... play a bit less and work more... you will have 2 to 5 $ to spare... (pun intended)

crazyivan1970
05-29-2007, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yellonet:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Chances of BOB go PTP are almost zero. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What do you mean "almost"? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why i say almost... today chances are zero... tomorrow, who knows. Things change.

TC_Stele
05-29-2007, 11:34 AM
No thanks. I like to see the occasional nut come on the server and start ranting on about whatever. In all honest, it would be too boring for me.