PDA

View Full Version : MMOOOOOOOOOO!RPG

Coronagold
02-18-2005, 10:15 PM
I get the feeling Cyan wants to develop a MOO outside the Myst series because they've learned that Myst developed too much of a bonded community. A family. A communal source that found itself insulted if the Myst history were compromised. We felt that schism in Prologue... Yeesha / DRC / Sharper. And a lot of the community screamed against it. (Me included.) That, I'm sure, played a big part in why Live was cancelled.

We weren't gonna take it.

Sure, we'll take the new ages, but not at the cost of friendship.

So this kinda parylized Cyan & Ubi at that time.

I guess they were hoping for more hatred. Who knows, they may have been trying to instigate it. That's an ugly thought, isn't it?

Coronagold
02-18-2005, 10:15 PM
I get the feeling Cyan wants to develop a MOO outside the Myst series because they've learned that Myst developed too much of a bonded community. A family. A communal source that found itself insulted if the Myst history were compromised. We felt that schism in Prologue... Yeesha / DRC / Sharper. And a lot of the community screamed against it. (Me included.) That, I'm sure, played a big part in why Live was cancelled.

We weren't gonna take it.

Sure, we'll take the new ages, but not at the cost of friendship.

So this kinda parylized Cyan & Ubi at that time.

I guess they were hoping for more hatred. Who knows, they may have been trying to instigate it. That's an ugly thought, isn't it?

Deg__
02-19-2005, 09:04 AM
I don't think Cyan was looking for more hatred, maybe not even conflict-- they wanted something like debate.

With traditional computer games you have a hero (your character) and a bad guy (the boss you have to defeat at the end of the level). Very black and white.

In Uru, the characters (just like in real life) are not nearly as one sided. Yeesha was probably the protagonist, but she did trick you into releasing a bahro. We don't even know the implications of that action. The DRC might have been somewhat antagonistic, but their values on safety are very good.

Cheers,
- Deg -

Coronagold
02-20-2005, 06:12 AM
In the Myst series, it was preset who was the baddie. In Live it was open ended, so they could "shift the blame" from one to another in order to make it more intriguing & unnerving.

No one wants to be the baddie. (Well, maybe a few trolls I've read in the past do.) But that's the whole thing about MMOs. They toy with emotions. And the Myst community is a highly emotional bunch of people. I know. I'm one of them.

The problem with MMOs is that the most decadent become leaders. These are 'independently wealthy' brats who have the time to spend 24/7 on their PC in order to socialize their way to the top echelons of power. (In real life they're known as the Comic Book Store Guy.)

And then when/if they fall in love or find out about para-sailing, they'll leave, leaving a gaping hole at the top & a bunch of lower lemmings scrambling about for a power-grab, or rambling about just for the sake of looking like chickens with their heads cut off.

(Did I mention I'm sarcastic?) (Well I am. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif )

The whole thing about MMOs is "clic", or "cliche". It's like 'high school attitude' on steroids. The only way to survive is to spend 24/7 socializing in the game or read lots of Dilbert to compensate.

Reverend Vader
03-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Perhaps there would have been different quests and areas of access made available for players depending on the "allegiance" that they had chosen for their character -- Yeesha/DRC/Sharper. When Sierra released the Quest for Glory games years ago, you could play through the game three times (and later, four) as a different "class" of character -- Wizard, Thief, or Fighter (and later, Paladin). There were different solutions and alternate locations depending on which character you chose...

Is it possible that Cyan had something like this in mind for Uru:Live? Probably not, I suppose, since most players would have wanted access to all new content. But then again, we were able to create multiple characters/avatars as well...

Hmm. Interesting idea...

Mysthints
03-02-2005, 05:45 PM
I don't think Cyan was looking for hatred. I think they saw Uru as a way to evolve Myst into something new, yet strangely different. And I think they hoped the fans would accept it with excitement. Yeah, the Yeesha/DRC thing was weird at first, and never felt really "closed" because it was originally intended to be an open-ended story, but the development of the characters like Yeesha and Sharper felt very realistic and made me feel like I was part of a real adventure. The realtime graphics of Uru were very different and unwelcome at first, but Uru made me see why Cyan is so excited about using them. I think the idea of Uru Live was fantastic, and though it didn't continue, I'm glad for the xp's despite the awkward feeling that it was made for MMO yet had to be repacked as SP. I think Myst V will be much smoother with SP in mind from the start. Keep dreaming the incredible, Cyan. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

mszv
03-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Well, gosh, I know some people who are playing MMORPGs who are having a great time with their guilds, clans, whatever it's called in the game. Great people, some older, smart, and with lives. I'm going to play WoW myself, but now that I'm back in school, I have to wait until summer, I think. Either that or fail my courses! This is nothing against Uru - I'd be playing online Uru, but, except for the Until Uru part it's not online and there's no new content. I do go into Until Uru sometimes (I like it), but you know what I mean.

I think that, for whatever reason, the market for online Uru was misjudged. People didn't even sign up for the free prologue. I also still can't tell what we were supposed to do in the game (and I was in the beta) - there just wasn't enough - customization, content,gameplay, all that. For all that, it was a beautiful game, Uru, very evocative atmosphere. As for hard core fans of the Myst series - that's a small number, I'm sure that Cyan was trying to appeal to a larger community, not just the small number of dedicated fans who knew the story backwards and forwards, post on web boards and were a tight knit community. Personally, if you ask me, I think that online Uru was designed for people who would not play that often and so would be happy with a different sort of experience.

What is great is that we'll get a closure to the story, and, oh yeah, see (from those pictures) at least a couple more ages that were supposed to go into online Uru. As for me, just give me that beach age, and those tunnels, one of which I "almost" saw in the second expansion pack for Uru! I'm happy that, from the pictures, we are going to see that in Myst V. That's all I want - to see those ages/areas, and oh, yeah, the conclusion to the Myst series story. All I want!

Hurry up Cyan!

uecasm
03-27-2005, 08:04 AM
I think the biggest problem with Live was that they'd set the bar too high. I wanted to join Live, but it said "broadband only", and I, like 95% of the Internet-users in my country at the time, was still on dialup.

As it happens, I did actually end up getting broadband -- about two weeks after Live shut down, whch in turn was only about two weeks after the game first appeared on the shelves. I think they might have jumped the gun a bit, to be honest.

In fact (as should be clear by the timeframe) one of my main reasons for *getting* broadband in the first place was so I could play Uru Live. It's a pity it didn't work out.

Naquiel
04-09-2005, 02:33 AM
I dont think there going to try for a mmorpg for the next project. It will take a very long time to make and it would have to have lots of content to help keep ppl playing, but the down side is almost all mmorpg's run off the same formula. And that is you find a creature to fight, kill creature, loot creature, then repeat the process.

So far WOW has did one thing that many mmorpgs really didnt do, as in created so many things to do. So what if the graphics are cartoony, or that they had problems trying to get over 500,000 players onto the servers just a few days after launch(that is the most players craming into a new mmorpg in history), and there patching system is the worst.

But for Cyan i think they want to try more of an adventure game, but keeping with the mystery we have grown to love.