PDA

View Full Version : About graduating from a flying school,please help! TY

kearsarge007
03-23-2006, 11:46 AM
If i graduate from a flying school will i be considered a college graduate? is it a baccalauriate degree?

I'm asking this becoz i'm planning to go to AOCS at pensacola!

Thanks for anyone who can help!

SATAN_23rd
03-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Ask the school you plan on attending...

How the F#*K am I supposed to know...

jds1978
03-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by kearsarge007:
If i graduate from a flying school will i be considered a college graduate? is it a baccalauriate degree?

I'm asking this becoz i'm planning to go to AOCS at pensacola!

Thanks for anyone who can help!

the school should be able to tell you

Nimits
03-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Depends on the type of school, etc.

If it's a flying school only (and not a flying program at an accredited school), probably not, since a BS degree generally requires some "electives."

AVG_WarHawk
03-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Just remember, don't tell them your only interested in flying, no take-off and landing training http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

AFSG_Bulldog
03-23-2006, 07:20 PM
A baccalaureate degree is defined as:

This is the undergraduate degree offered by four-year colleges and universities. The Bachelor of Arts degree requires that a portion of the student‚‚ā¨ôs studies be dedicated to the arts - literature, language, music, etc. The Bachelor of Science degree requires that a portion of the studies be in the sciences - chemistry, biology, math, etc. The minimum credit hour requirement for a Bachelor‚‚ā¨ôs Degree is 120 hours.

So unless you attended a college or a university you are not a college graduate.

huggy87
03-23-2006, 08:22 PM
A lot of schools have aviation programs that count as bachelor degrees. They go into a lot broader spectrum of courses than what is required to simply get your CFI and Commercial. Embry riddle springs to mind. I know of San Jose and some school in Maine that offer bachelor degrees along with flying.

BTW, AOCS no longer exists. At least not in the "officer and a gentleman" sense. You can still go to OCS with a promise for a pilot slot, but you will be in with every tom, ****, swo, intel, seal and other wannabe.

El Turo
03-24-2006, 12:52 AM
Also, there is a big difference between a degree from an accredited college/university and not.

Keep in mind that degree or not, you're going to need lots of hours logged, most likely including getting all of the standard ratings through your double-i and some jet time. The airline industry is kind of in the toilet right now and so you'll be poor and flying right seat on puddle skippers and/or cargo until the old guard retires in the next 10-15 years. But now, in terms of your age and relatively low amount of personal responsibilities, would be the time to get into it, commit and get it done. Once you have a family and whatnot, there's just no way to likely maintain that kind of away-from-home schedule and a family at the same time.