PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked Type IX

iambecomelife
03-10-2005, 08:54 PM
http://www.njscuba.net/sites/site_u-869.html

An interesting story about a boat that apparently sank itself in February 1945. An accoustic torpedo it had launched apparently homed in on the boat's own engines and did a circular run. I wonder if this sort of hazard will be modelled in the game?

iambecomelife
03-10-2005, 08:54 PM
http://www.njscuba.net/sites/site_u-869.html

An interesting story about a boat that apparently sank itself in February 1945. An accoustic torpedo it had launched apparently homed in on the boat's own engines and did a circular run. I wonder if this sort of hazard will be modelled in the game?

Mon Pavion
03-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Good story. I wish I could sketch like that.

Cpre5
03-10-2005, 09:31 PM
I read that book over the winter, great great story.

archer49d
03-10-2005, 09:34 PM
You know that Robert Ballard searching for the Titanic was a front for his work on trying to find what happened to the Scorpion. Not a joke, really the true story, declassified about 3 or 4 years ago. He just happened to find the Titanic on "accident" (It was Scorpion #1 Titanic #2). Though you can't doubt that he was activley pursuing the Titanic.

miscreant1980
03-10-2005, 10:00 PM
the same thing also happened to a US submarine operating in the Pacific in WW2. i forgot all the details, but the USS Tang fired a torpedo at a japanese tanker that went defective, broached the surface of the water and circled back towards the sub. the sub was on the surface so the captain could see the torpedo coming back towards the sub and he tried to maneuver to evade. just a moment before the torpedo struck, the captain realized what was going to happen and had the hatch closed in the knick of time. when it blew up on impact with the sub the force was great enough to knock the captain and 8 other officers clear off the deck and into the water while the sub then sank. but because the hatch had been closed 5 other crew members were able to escape using Momsem lungs. But by the next morning only 9 of the 14 that were on the surface had survived and were picked up by a japanese destroyer. i believe only 4 of those 9, including the captain, survived the POW camps and returned home after the war.