PDA

View Full Version : Book of Marrim cancelled!

evt13
01-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Just kidding. I hate people like myself who dare to be this obnoxious. BUT.... I must ask, does anyone know any details as to a release date or any other pertinent details? Telling me that is it on Cyan's backburner is out of the question.

evt13
01-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Just kidding. I hate people like myself who dare to be this obnoxious. BUT.... I must ask, does anyone know any details as to a release date or any other pertinent details? Telling me that is it on Cyan's backburner is out of the question.

Mysthints
01-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Yikes, you scared me there for a minute http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif ! The only news I've heard is that it is on Cyan's backburner for awhile.

Feliskitty
01-18-2005, 02:26 PM
How I despise you...I've been waiting for this book ever since I finished the Last page of The Book of D'ni.

Come on, Cyan! I almost want the book more than Myst V!

Tora_Neko
01-18-2005, 11:59 PM
OMG!!! There's another book?! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I hadn't heared of it until now! Cool!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif to the authors!

ivanxuereb
01-19-2005, 12:45 AM
Great! I didn't know there was another book in the series.

<Hurries to finish the book of D'ni before the book of Marrim comes out!>

Thasaid0n
01-21-2005, 05:04 AM
FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been waiting for a new book for sooooooooooo long now...

For me, those books are as much a part of the great Myst saga, as the games themselves.
So if ANYONE got some more info on the release of this books, PLEASE post it!

Palytoxin
02-01-2005, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't count on it being released any time soon. It's been "postponed" for years now. Seriously, don't hold your breath.

Ni Cahlas the Young
02-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Are these books at all available outside America? (Cuz I live in Europe)

Thasaid0n
02-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Yes they are.
I live in The Netherlands (Europe).
and I got them at a local bookstore in my town.

However, I don't think a regular book store will have them on stock. So they might need to be ordered or imported (like my bookstore does with English books they don't have on stock)

Ni Cahlas the Young
02-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Did you have to order them or did they happen to have them on stock at that bookstore where you bought them? In the last case, where's that bookstore?
(I'm Dutch too, so if there's any bookstore in the Netherlands where they've got 'em, I'll just drive over there)

Thasaid0n
02-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Well, I saw the books on inernet, and just wrote down the author, titel and ISBN number.
Then I went to my local store and asked them if they had these books.
They didn't, but told them they could order them for me, and so they did.
After a few weeks they phoned me the books had arrived.

Basically, any (selfrespecting) bookstore will do this for you. So check out the stores in your city.

A final note...
you can forget about the simple stores like Bruna
they don't do things like this, because they mostly don't have the means of ordering "non-mainstream" English books.

HannaGertie
02-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Ni Cahlas, the American Bookshop in Amsterdam had the Mystreader last time I was there. This is an omnibus containing all three books.

Thasaid0n
02-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Well, call me crazy...
but personally, I like 3 sepperate books http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
That way I have 3 different book-covers in my bookcase :P

Thasaid0n
09-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Well, I just Bought the Collectors Edition of Myst 5.
And in the book that comes with it (Lost Chapters),
there is a preview to "The book of Marrim"
so there is hope this book is comming out soon!!!

JustBrett
09-25-2005, 01:11 PM
The preview in the CE was written quite some time ago. If you read the interview with Rand Miller in the Prima strategy guide, done late last July, he still seems to be indicating it's on the back burner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(I have put key phrases in bold.)

Q: If D'ni was used as the carrot for Uru, is Releeshahn the carrot for whatever you're going to be doing next?

A: ... I don't want people to think that we've tricked you, [that] it's not really the end, we've got it in our plans to do all of this. Right now we don't have any plans. We love having that door open. We love the idea of the promised land and all the stories we can tell there.

And even the novel, the fourth novel, is based on that. If we ever get it done, that's exactly what it's all about. In fact, in the extended edition in Europe, we've included the first chapter -- or preview chapter -- of that novel, just to kind of tie things together. But right now, that's the only thing that's in our plans, storywise, in the whole Myst franchise, just to write that fourth novel.

Q: What's it [The Book of Marrim] about, and what's the state of it?

A: Well, it's kind of what we've said for a while. We have the outline, and the outline continues to develop, and it's great. I love the entire story; the story's so deep and rich. We just don't want to screw it up. And so we've written a chapter or two, just trying to get our legs and see what we could do if we were going to do it ourselves. We went through a whole writing of it from [David] Wingrove, that defined some things, but we weren't quite satisfied with it, and we don't want this to go out unless it's right. We're not in a hurry. When it comes out, we want it to be an epic. We want it to stand on its own. We want people -- especially Myst fans, but everybody -- to read it and love it, so we want to make sure we do it right.

It's the story of Releeshahn. What is that place that Atrus wrote? If you could write an Age to start over, what would you write and why would you write it? And that's what The Book of Marrim is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lotr-sam0711
09-25-2005, 02:13 PM
lolrotf I knew it had to be a bad joke! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Thasaid0n
09-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Well, my point was actually, that if they put a previewin the book with Myst 5,
then I guess we can actualy assume, that it willcome out.
Why else would they print a preview in the book http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Eat_My_Shortz
09-26-2005, 07:56 AM
Don't want to be a wet blanket but..
The same reason why they put the Uru Live preview in Uru.

Anyway, I'm glad this topic was a hoax... after reading the preview at the end of Lost Chapters (in the European Collectors Edition of MV) I'm especially looking forward to it.

rehfah_gahro
12-10-2005, 11:38 AM
is there some place we non-euros can see the preview chapter?

Mowog
12-10-2005, 12:20 PM
In a "Cavern Today" interview a few weeks ago, I asked Ryan Miller about The Book of Marrim. Basically, my question was along the lines of "Is the book in work, and is David Wingrove working with you again?" Ryan's reply was as follows, transcribed from the interview:

"Yeah, Wingrove did do a draft of The Book of Marrim, actually quite a few years ago, and I'm not sure where that stands as far as... you know, Rand wrote that initial chapter for the Uru European Deluxe Version and the soundtrack... I've seen the story, it's a great story, it would be one that would be exciting to work on; and honestly, at this point the book -- I don't have any information to say, just because there isn't any to tell. It hasn't gotten going yet full steam, so there's not much to say."

Just FYI. Not much more to go on, but at least that's a little more info from Cyan.

BirLu
12-10-2005, 01:36 PM
I listened to your interview with Ryan, Mowog (thank you again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif) and I am also waiting for the Book of Marrim, but today I'd like to ask another question which YOU might be able to answer (?)...How come they never update their website? I thought they were back up again working (not at 'full steam', maybe, but still working)? I check their website every week once but nothing's changed since quite a while? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Chuckles58
01-13-2006, 01:49 PM
I am looking forward to the Book of Marrim as well. I bought the US Limited edition of Myst V, so I don't have the excerpt of the book.

On a related note, my wife and I just finished a two day, 13 hour a day trip. She is not a Myst fan, but she did listen to the audio book versions of Book of Atrus and Book of T'iana. She enjoyed them and said they were interesting stories. She played Myst some years ago, but that's probably as far as that will go. I bought all 3 audio books on eBay a year or two ago. Quite a find, I'll say. I have the three paperbacks as well.

lanzfan
01-15-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm really looking forward to the new book, but I must admit it wasn't because I had read the book of D'ni. It was my least favorite because it was too discriptive a good deal of the time. But The Book of Ti'ana (sp?) was A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y the best and Disney had better make a movie out of it soon.

Ti'ana had all the good elements of a book and movie, especially the multiple plot twists.

I hope Marrim (if ever released) will be like that........

PowderedDonut3
01-15-2006, 06:53 PM
"But The Book of Ti'ana was A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y the best, and Disney had better make a movie out of it soon. Ti'ana had the good elements of a book and movie, especially the multiple plot twists."

Just exactly what I was thinking! Ti'ana was SO my favorite Myst book and I, too, was wishing that they would make a movie out of that one. It would be so great! I would like, so be at the theater!

Dr_Beresford
02-11-2006, 07:20 AM
This morning I finished reading The Book of Ti'Ana - again. It's certainly a gripping story and I agree that a film version would be most welcome. However, I very much doubt if this will ever happen, it's not exactly Hollywood "blockbuster" material, though it does lend itself to some excellent computer generated scenes. Come to think of it, they already exist in The Uru Chronicles so I'm sure they could be utilised. Perhaps we should begin lobbying to get a film made. Peter Jackson, are you listening? I actually logged onto this forum directly from Google, having typed in The Book of Marrim into the search engine trying to find information about a possible release. I gather from reading all the foregoing entries it's already been a long time in arriving. Does anyone have any up to date knowledge?

SageBlackthorn
03-15-2006, 06:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dr_Beresford:
This morning I finished reading The Book of Ti'Ana - again. It's certainly a gripping story and I agree that a film version would be most welcome. However, I very much doubt if this will ever happen, it's not exactly Hollywood "blockbuster" material, though it does lend itself to some excellent computer generated scenes. Come to think of it, they already exist in The Uru Chronicles so I'm sure they could be utilised. Perhaps we should begin lobbying to get a film made. Peter Jackson, are you listening? I actually logged onto this forum directly from Google, having typed in The Book of Marrim into the search engine trying to find information about a possible release. I gather from reading all the foregoing entries it's already been a long time in arriving. Does anyone have any up to date knowledge? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm still waiting to hear ANYTHING new about The Book of Marrim. Of course with the new D'mala Shard up and running, I'm sure Rand and Ryan have their hands full at Cyan Worlds at the moment. As long as the book is "in the works" and they plan to write it, I can be patient. As much as I love Rand's stories, I realize that's not all he's doing.

Sage

T.O.O.O.
10-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I can just imagine some people coming out of the theatre after seeing the Myst movie and saying, "Wow! Wouldn't that make a great PC game?" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/Brucemor/W.jpg

Nationally Certified Smartaleck and Master of Bad Puns