PDA

View Full Version : Constant booming noise when at sea

krawz01
03-30-2005, 04:20 PM
I finally got out of the academy last night after swearing not to leave until I got an excellent score on all exams.

So I put out to sea, and in-between time accelerations I would do an all stop just to check the hydrophone/sonar. I am probably being overcautious and have a very low chance of finding something but oh well, if I am going to be a noob I might as well go all out.

Suddenly, breaking the quiet of the calm ocean in near perfect weather is what sounds like artillery shells going off, about every 10-15 seconds on a very regular timer. I would steam on for another 8-10 in-game hours and check again, and I still hear what sounds like armageddon just over the horizon.

I am beginning to wonder if Sam the torpedo man is correct about the mythical sea monster that he keeps screaming about, and that it really is going to eat us as we cross into the next grid. However, I am also growing suspicious of our cook, and have reason to believe he may be down below banging his head against the hull to "get the voices out", as he puts it.

Update: Sam has given up on the sea monster stories and now just sits in the corner chewing on an old shoe we found to keep him occupied, while the cook swears up and down that he is just here because of a split personality disorder he developed as a child from his father beating him repeatedly after he forgot to cook him his sloppy joes. Apparently one of his personalities thought joining the Navy was a good idea, but the current one is terrified of water. I now really wish I had not pursued that suspicion. There are some things I would rather not know. This is going to be a very long patrol.

Seriously though, anyone else hear this noise? It does not sound like any noise my boat is producing, as it's REAL loud and but also sounds distant.

I'm assuming it's just a sound bug, but if there is some realistic event producing it....I am just dying to know what that is. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

krawz01
03-30-2005, 04:20 PM
I finally got out of the academy last night after swearing not to leave until I got an excellent score on all exams.

So I put out to sea, and in-between time accelerations I would do an all stop just to check the hydrophone/sonar. I am probably being overcautious and have a very low chance of finding something but oh well, if I am going to be a noob I might as well go all out.

Suddenly, breaking the quiet of the calm ocean in near perfect weather is what sounds like artillery shells going off, about every 10-15 seconds on a very regular timer. I would steam on for another 8-10 in-game hours and check again, and I still hear what sounds like armageddon just over the horizon.

I am beginning to wonder if Sam the torpedo man is correct about the mythical sea monster that he keeps screaming about, and that it really is going to eat us as we cross into the next grid. However, I am also growing suspicious of our cook, and have reason to believe he may be down below banging his head against the hull to "get the voices out", as he puts it.

Update: Sam has given up on the sea monster stories and now just sits in the corner chewing on an old shoe we found to keep him occupied, while the cook swears up and down that he is just here because of a split personality disorder he developed as a child from his father beating him repeatedly after he forgot to cook him his sloppy joes. Apparently one of his personalities thought joining the Navy was a good idea, but the current one is terrified of water. I now really wish I had not pursued that suspicion. There are some things I would rather not know. This is going to be a very long patrol.

Seriously though, anyone else hear this noise? It does not sound like any noise my boat is producing, as it's REAL loud and but also sounds distant.

I'm assuming it's just a sound bug, but if there is some realistic event producing it....I am just dying to know what that is. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NaturalBornGoth
03-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Guess it's a bug. I never came across a sea monster and my crew is ordered not to bang their heads against the walls, despite the voices, because they would alert enemy units in a 20 mile radius. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

krawz01
03-30-2005, 09:39 PM
About to try again...we shall see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bob_Gilroy
03-30-2005, 10:11 PM
That's the Russians engaging the catepillar drive system...

NaturalBornGoth
03-31-2005, 05:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob_Gilroy:
That's the Russians engaging the catepillar drive system... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

****... and i thought it was an underwater volcano. But you're right! It moves!

augie64
03-31-2005, 05:43 AM
by chance do you have the silent hunter 3 main page up? that page has constant booming and explosions every so often =)

nstutt
03-31-2005, 05:51 AM
Funny you should mention that but I also heard a loud air wooshing noise every few minutes when I tried a cutom designed mission I made last night. First time Ive heard it. Seemd to be when a Sordfish torpedo plane went over but it wasnt a torpedo being fired.

Also another funny thing happened in that mission. I had several patrol boats heading my way and suddenly one exploded for no reason. When the rest of them came into view they were all on fire!

The mission was set around Gibraltar docks and I used mines and sub nets. Or at least I thought I had but I never found the mines. I wonder if that noicse could have been a ship hitting the mines wherever they were? Anyway it was well weird.

One thing Ive found out though is that I can see why mines and subnets werent put into the campaign - the frame rate drops dramatically when looking towards the position of any minefields/subnets. Im not sure which was slowing it down as I never found the mines but one of them slowed down the game drastically.

Nats

subzero1944
03-31-2005, 08:32 AM
Don't know if this will help, but I had all sorts of weird noises before I turned the sound acceleration off in dxdiag, since then I've not experienced any sound cliches at all...

con20or
03-31-2005, 09:07 AM
you havent run aground and its the waves crashing against the side of your boat??

krawz01
03-31-2005, 04:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> by chance do you have the silent hunter 3 main page up? that page has constant booming and explosions every so often =) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

It does sound sort of like that.....kinda....a little....yeah.....okay, a lot like that.

Excuse me while I go slam a door on my head to work the bugs out...