PDA

View Full Version : Bugs or just me? Also controls help needed.

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 10:04 AM
Ok it may be just the way they were, but seems odd. Flying in a Buffalo I seem to always lose my engine. Seems just a couple of hits, and it's dead. Note the fire is coming from one of those big russian bombers. Forgot the designation of it though. It's extremely primitive, and open cockpit etc.
Also anymore than half elevator, and it stalls and snaps. I figure thats probably not a bug just a bad aircraft design. Because it's the same with the I-16.
Also in the I-16 I've found myself in a spin twice, and there is no recovery. I've tried every spin recovery technique I know for aircraft, and nothing works.
Also I was flying a recent mission in a I-16, and before I ever got into combat my engine died.
Anyway sometimes it just seems odd.

Ok on to controls. Is there anyway to adjust the amount of deflection the control surfaces have acording to stick movement? Because even once I'm lined up with the target a little stick movement causes a lot of reaction. Which makes me all over the place like a bad rythm. While when making large stick movements it seems smoother. Might be me or my stick I dunno. It doesn't have a spring to keep it dead center. So you really have to fly it in the center with a steady hand.

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 10:04 AM
Ok it may be just the way they were, but seems odd. Flying in a Buffalo I seem to always lose my engine. Seems just a couple of hits, and it's dead. Note the fire is coming from one of those big russian bombers. Forgot the designation of it though. It's extremely primitive, and open cockpit etc.
Also anymore than half elevator, and it stalls and snaps. I figure thats probably not a bug just a bad aircraft design. Because it's the same with the I-16.
Also in the I-16 I've found myself in a spin twice, and there is no recovery. I've tried every spin recovery technique I know for aircraft, and nothing works.
Also I was flying a recent mission in a I-16, and before I ever got into combat my engine died.
Anyway sometimes it just seems odd.

Ok on to controls. Is there anyway to adjust the amount of deflection the control surfaces have acording to stick movement? Because even once I'm lined up with the target a little stick movement causes a lot of reaction. Which makes me all over the place like a bad rythm. While when making large stick movements it seems smoother. Might be me or my stick I dunno. It doesn't have a spring to keep it dead center. So you really have to fly it in the center with a steady hand.

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 10:22 AM
Spins aren't easy to recover from. And if you're in a flat spin, you're probably toast.

The engine on the I-16 will die of fuel starvation if you pull too much negative Gs. Fortunately, since the patch the engine can be restarted in mid-air, so it's not as much of a problem.

As for your joystick, you can either add some deadzone (in the input setup menu) to allow you to move the stick a bit in the center without deflecting the control surfaces, or you can adjust the sensitivity levels (the vertical bars in the input menu) to be less sensitive at the lower levels of input (i.e.: set the first 1/2 bars lower).

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 11:28 AM
And one more thing. If you don't have a forcefeeback joystick get one. I had a really hard time just flying straight without stalling with my old one from 92'.

When I see all you young men in here I think to myself what wouldn't I give to be 20 years younger...and a woman.
-Admiral Benson

XyZspineZyX
08-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Ok thanks for your info. I try not to pull negative G's too much, but still lose the engine. So far it's about 50/50 on whether it restarts or not.

I also played with the settings like you suggested. Turned everything down on the profiles by 10 points except for the far right two I set one down by 5 points, and the farthest one to the right I left at 100.

I did that for both pitch, and roll. No deadzone as it didn't help anything though. However I turned the filtering about halfway up. Which makes control movements smooth no matter how much I jerk the stick around.

Found a way out of a spin in the I-16. Power to zero, drop flaps, and gear. Hope you have enough altitude as she spins, and spins. The I-16 with flaps, gear, and no power will start to get more and more pointed to the ground, and less flat. Once it hit's almost 90 degree's straight down it will stop spinning.

Anyway played around with it until I found a solution lol.
Also I do have a force feedback joystick. It's a Logitech wingman 3D FF pro. I can fell it start to shimmy when it's about to stall. I avoid it most of the time except for when I really need to come around hard. Or a bogey is on my tail.