PDA

View Full Version : Favorite ac nicknames

Daiichidoku
12-03-2004, 03:15 AM
Whats your favorite nickname for certain ac?

Maybe we can all learn new ones by sharing, especially where the names from different countries are used, and others may have never heard of them...instead of the ones everyone knows, like Beaufighter "whispering death" ( cuz of very quiet hercules sleeve-vavle engines) or Corsair's "whistling death" or bent-wing bird, ensign eliminator, et al

Three of my favs are Corsair- "hose nose" (or d i c k nose)...just look at the thing, self-explanatory

SB2C- Curtiss Helldiver..."son of a b i t c h, second class" all sorts of bad habits, this bird..thoroughly disliked by crews...the much older daultless did just as good a job or better in some cases

The early production, short wing Martin Marauders were known by a few names, most not so pleasant, but I always think of "the flying prostitute", cuz it had no visible means of support http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Daiichidoku
12-03-2004, 03:15 AM
Whats your favorite nickname for certain ac?

Maybe we can all learn new ones by sharing, especially where the names from different countries are used, and others may have never heard of them...instead of the ones everyone knows, like Beaufighter "whispering death" ( cuz of very quiet hercules sleeve-vavle engines) or Corsair's "whistling death" or bent-wing bird, ensign eliminator, et al

Three of my favs are Corsair- "hose nose" (or d i c k nose)...just look at the thing, self-explanatory

SB2C- Curtiss Helldiver..."son of a b i t c h, second class" all sorts of bad habits, this bird..thoroughly disliked by crews...the much older daultless did just as good a job or better in some cases

The early production, short wing Martin Marauders were known by a few names, most not so pleasant, but I always think of "the flying prostitute", cuz it had no visible means of support http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Daiichidoku
12-03-2004, 03:20 AM
Ok, Im REALLY restless tonight...gonna induldge myself

Japan- G4M1 Betty "type 1 flying cigar lighter" used by JP crew, as the cigar shaped Betty was well known to burst into flames as per the sterotypes

gombal40
12-03-2004, 08:21 AM
GLOB Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker
# Ground Loving Old Bastard.
Flying Carrot Westland Lysander
Flying Dump Truck Douglas AD Skyraider
Frustrated Palm Tree Sikorsky R-4 Hoverfly
# Early helicopter.
Monkeyknocker Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
# It was assumed that because of its poor bombing accuracy, the only victims were innocent monkeys. Also 'Coconutknocker

Pregnant Beast Grumman TBF Avenger

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/gustin_military/nickname.html

sapre
12-03-2004, 08:53 AM
D3A Val- "Type 99 Coffin" called by its pilots in later period of war.

Battleship Yamato- "Yamato hotel" irony made by Japanese sailors for Yamato which always stays in port, officer having a life of luxury and it was only operating as a hotel.

budvar62
12-03-2004, 08:58 AM
10,000 Rivets in close formation (Avro shackleton - converted AWACS Lancaster)
Tin Triangle Avro Vulcan
Snub nosed battleship (German name for Beaufighter - anyone know how to say it in German)
Widowmaker (Many aircraft I suspect but most famously Lockheed Starfighter)
Stringbag (Fairey Swordfish)
Yellow nosed bastards Me109(ok - not really - but one of my fav lines from BoB - If Oleg has a wingman saying this in his version, I am truly not worthy)