PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Myst IV Demo Performance on a Mac Dual 2.0Ghz G5

roderz
10-30-2004, 06:52 PM
The performance of this Demo, on my Apple PowerMac G5 dual 2.0Ghz (standard Rev A Spec, 2x G5 2.0Ghz 64 Bit CPU's, 1GHZ Frontside Bus, 400Mhz 512 DDR, 8xAgp Pro Radeon 9600 Pro etc) is, on default settings (800x600 for god's sake!), at best, described as average, (playable but stuttery, certainly not smooth) which I find simply unaccpetable on a machine with my power.
I have editied the game.dsc file (specified in another thread) and tried windowed mode which has too many visual defects + when I maximise the window performance drops considerably.
I've also tried editing the screen res to 1280x1-24 (my LCD's Native res) and performance drops to about 1fps!
This is a shame, I really wanted to get this game, but not anymore.
If this is indicative of performance in the full game, I hope a patch will be forthcoming soon that will sort things out, and that this is just not a badly performing/lazy port.

roderz
10-30-2004, 06:52 PM
The performance of this Demo, on my Apple PowerMac G5 dual 2.0Ghz (standard Rev A Spec, 2x G5 2.0Ghz 64 Bit CPU's, 1GHZ Frontside Bus, 400Mhz 512 DDR, 8xAgp Pro Radeon 9600 Pro etc) is, on default settings (800x600 for god's sake!), at best, described as average, (playable but stuttery, certainly not smooth) which I find simply unaccpetable on a machine with my power.
I have editied the game.dsc file (specified in another thread) and tried windowed mode which has too many visual defects + when I maximise the window performance drops considerably.
I've also tried editing the screen res to 1280x1-24 (my LCD's Native res) and performance drops to about 1fps!
This is a shame, I really wanted to get this game, but not anymore.
If this is indicative of performance in the full game, I hope a patch will be forthcoming soon that will sort things out, and that this is just not a badly performing/lazy port.

maztec
10-30-2004, 10:24 PM
The Demo was put out before the game was finalized.

It's entirely likely the issues you are experiencing are taken care of in the final game.

But, in the next month or so a new version of the Demo should be coming out. You are more than welcome to wait for it and try it out.