PDA

View Full Version : Missing AC

M2morris
03-10-2006, 08:01 PM
This is an OT story about my latest RC but it makes its way around to making sense I hope. I am almost finished with a 90" Piper Cub RC and sometimes I like to try messing around with remote flying in this IL2 game because of the static cameras you can place by the runway, and with those I can sort-of practice flying RC. It's a long shot from those PC RC sims you can buy, but what the heck. Well anyway, I was looking for a similar AC to my soon-to-fly Cubby, but I could not find any. I tried the J-8 BiPlane and thats good, but then I realized that some of my favorite planes are missing here in IL2(not whining) Like the: L-4 Grasshopper, the variant of the J3 Cub (by the way I covered my RC cub in OD green with allied markings and I altered the rear window design to match the L-4)I read that the L-4 dropped leaflets over France in the 40s. But anyway, there is the Douglas A-26 Invader, it can cause a controversy it's self because there was much confusion over it and the B-26, but I don't see it in the IL2 list. And then there is the P-61 Blackwidow. Ugly but deadly night flyer. Oh well, in summary, I have noticed some missing AC: L-4 Grasshopper, A-26 Invader, P-61 Blackwidow.

danjama
03-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I would love to see the Invader, the B26 and the Blackwidow, their all beautees!

M2morris
03-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Dude that P-61 put the 'U' in ugly. It's fuggly muddly and round looking. But I'd still like to see one in Il2 too. They were packin some wuppass.

danjama
03-10-2006, 09:37 PM
You really think so? Ive seen it fly twice now and somethin about it just draws me in. I cant say i think its ugly. I was also surprised by its capabilities. It turned very well in the horizontal and it was very fast. Still, id much rather have a B26!

M2morris
03-10-2006, 10:23 PM
I didnt think there were any Blackwidows still flying. I geuss it would be awesome to see one do a low fly-by. But about the A-26: When I was a kid back in the 70s me and my brother would ride our bikes over to the airport to an old beat up A-26 that was parked in an isolated spot by the fence near a forest-fire fighting outfit there at the north side of the airport. We would climb in it all we wanted till we got tired of it, nobody around at all. After a few years it vanished. Never new what happened to it. But I think it was restored and put into the CAF because I saw a black A-26 at an Airshow in N.C. a couple years ago. Never know for sure. But anyway, those were some cool planes. We had an F-102 parked near my house to climb on also. Wierd place in those days.

Sergio_101
03-11-2006, 04:18 AM
P-61's are very rare in any condition.
None are air worthy.
And it is VERY unlikely any will ever fly again.
Very few bits and pieces are in civilian hands.

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p61_10.html (http://home.att.net/%7Ejbaugher1/p61_10.html)

Jack Baugher says there are 4 remaining P-61s
and all are in museums. Read the page
and you will find where a group of people
are trying to restore a wreck to flying status.

I have seen photo's of the wreck pieces.
It's a true smoking hole, it will never fly.

Sergio

M2morris
03-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Sergio_101:
P-61's are very rare in any condition.
None are air worthy.
And it is VERY unlikely any will ever fly again.
Very few bits and pieces are in civilian hands.

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p61_10.html (http://home.att.net/%7Ejbaugher1/p61_10.html)

Jack Baugher says there are 4 remaining P-61s
and all are in museums. Read the page
and you will find where a group of people
are trying to restore a wreck to flying status.

I have seen photo's of the wreck pieces.
It's a true smoking hole, it will never fly.

Sergio

Thanks Sergio, I'll check it out. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

cygfrain
03-12-2006, 01:50 AM
I'd have liked o have seen the Tiger moth, Stearman and Havard included so that campaigns could be included that follow a pilots career from basic training through to combat

Stuka_G10
03-12-2006, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by cygfrain:
I'd have liked o have seen the Tiger moth, Stearman and Havard included so that campaigns could be included that follow a pilots career from basic training through to combat

What about the Arado 66, the Junkers W 34, the Heinkeil Kadett He 72 and the Focke Wulf Fw 44 Stieglitz?

Esel1964
03-12-2006, 04:21 PM
M2 Morris- Could this be the A-26 from your childhood?

http://www.rangerwingcaf.com/Spirit_Historx.html

http://www.ninfinger.com/air9615.html

M2morris
03-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Wow Esel, I really appreciate you giving me that info, but after reading it I don't think that was the plane. I think I may have seen that-plane (on the link you gave me), at an air show at Pope AFB N.C. 4 or 5 years ago. And i asked the CAF pilot if it had ever been in Fresno CA, But he said it was not. And from the history you showed me of it's restoration and so on, it could not have been the one because of the time frames not matching. The plane we would go climb on as kids(in the mid 70s) was not painted and was bare aluminum, and we took a piece of real thick side window glass from it that looked like it had bullet or schrapnel damage. The plane looked like it had been shot at. Either by enemy or by dumbarses with guns in the area, but anyway I don't think the plane you showed me is the one.

scaredycat1
03-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Commemerative Air Force? When did they change the name from Confederate Air Force?

scaredycat1
03-12-2006, 08:21 PM
M2morris, you from Fresno? I dont remember the a/c you are talking about, but there was a P-39 i used to play in there. It was in pretty good shape back then, (late 60's) as I remember it was just missing a few gauges, the stick, and the door. I remember wondering why someone would steal the seat cushon, ididnt know that pilots sat on thier chutes.

Esel1964
03-12-2006, 10:04 PM
M2morris-I was hoping that was it-Oh well.That particular bird flies over my house @ around 1000 ft. @ least once a month(I'm on southerly approach to our local general av. airport).
A good friend's father-in-law is the usual pilot,and I've heard a couple of good "sphincter stories" about the old beast.
Anyway you're more than welcome for the info.

M2morris
03-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by scaredycat1:
M2morris, you from Fresno? I dont remember the a/c you are talking about, but there was a P-39 i used to play in there. It was in pretty good shape back then, (late 60's) as I remember it was just missing a few gauges, the stick, and the door. I remember wondering why someone would steal the seat cushon, ididnt know that pilots sat on thier chutes.
Ya I think its the 'confererate air force' too, but you were around the Fresno airport in the late 60s? I dont remember seeing a P-39, but the A-26 we messed with was in early 70s, near a big huge quansut hut near Airways golfcourse sort-of over by Clovis Ave. We bounced a golfball off a taxiing F-106 one afternoon(brats) We did a record-setting schwinn-bike speed record home. But if there was a P-39 still in the area, chances are we would have found it. It must have been moved before we were there messing around.

M2morris
03-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Esel1964:
M2morris-I was hoping that was it-Oh well.That particular bird flies over my house @ around 1000 ft. @ least once a month(I'm on southerly approach to our local general av. airport).
A good friend's father-in-law is the usual pilot,and I've heard a couple of good "sphincter stories" about the old beast.
Anyway you're more than welcome for the info.
Ya Esell, that black A-26 looks like it has a very impressive history. They were some awesome planes, not as much noticed as other planes.

cygfrain
03-14-2006, 01:58 AM
Stuka_G10 wrote

What about the Arado 66, the Junkers W 34, the Heinkeil Kadett He 72 and the Focke Wulf Fw 44 Stieglitz?

Sorry Stuka I'm not up on the axis trainers thanks for filling the gap http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif