PDA

View Full Version : Mine Operations

one.zero
10-27-2004, 06:11 PM
After monitoring this site, I have found bits and pieces of information about the feature of mine laying, but certainly not much.

What do you guys know about the history of mine laying and how the game will portray this activity?

one.zero
10-27-2004, 06:11 PM
After monitoring this site, I have found bits and pieces of information about the feature of mine laying, but certainly not much.

What do you guys know about the history of mine laying and how the game will portray this activity?

TASKFORCE1x1
10-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Special subs had the ability to lay mines. They either dropped them out of a hole in the aft or some had large side mines that dropped to the bottom and armed. The subs that dropped mines out the back were generally larger.

TASKFORCE1x1
10-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Type XB , U-234 is a good example.

one.zero
10-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the sub references. Thus far, I have not been very sucessfull at locating information about the mining operations either online or in books. I have a rather large library and spend a great deal of time on the I-net but can only find bits and pieces related to the mines themselves, the subs and mechanisums that deploy them as well as the strategies and tactics for placing these mines.

U-boat .net had a small amount of information and one or two of my history books touched the subject. Does anyone have better sources of information?

Thanks...

macker33
10-29-2004, 07:04 AM
Information on big minefield locations would be good,i know the south coast of ireland was heavily mined,
Its probably fair to assume the western approaches,north of scotland and the mouth of the baltic were all massivly mined.

one.zero
11-01-2004, 12:25 AM
I have some very good mapping of the mine fields. I will attempt to scan it in for posting.

I can't seem to find much information on the mining missions or the mine types and photos. Uboat .net has but very little on the subject. I would like to better understand the tactical and strategic doctrine of the mining efforts.

king_cam
11-01-2004, 08:03 PM
I would apreciate it if you did scan them one.zero

one.zero
12-25-2004, 03:13 AM
Check out this site for german undersea mines. What a great resource for mines..

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMGER_Mines.htm

HeibgesU999
12-25-2004, 02:00 PM
Doesn't Werner go on a mine laying operation in "Iron Coffins"?

one.zero
12-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Check out this site for mine laying efforts on the US coast. Great resource for us XB and VIID drivers.

http://www.cnsl.spear.navy.mil/ships/pioneer/mine_warfare.htm