PDA

View Full Version : UK TV tonight - aerial bombing documentary (now, C4)

AWL_Spinner
01-15-2005, 11:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Documentary Highlight
Blitz - Bombing and Total War
7:00pm - 9:00pm
Channel 4
VIDEO Plus+: 73660
Subtitled

This one-off documentary traces the history of air raids, from their earliest days at the start of the last century through to the end of the Second World War, when the effects of terror bombing had become all too plain in cities such as Hamburg and Dresden. The first town to be destroyed by bomber planes was Guernica in Spain, the event that inspired Picasso's masterpiece. Bombing from the air had begun in 1911 in colonial Libya, where an Italian pilot dropped bombs by hand. The potential for aerial bombers to wreck cities soon became clear, and much of the film is spent on the horrors of the Blitz and the "strategic bombing" campaigns of Arthur Harris.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AWL_Spinner
01-15-2005, 11:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Documentary Highlight
Blitz - Bombing and Total War
7:00pm - 9:00pm
Channel 4
VIDEO Plus+: 73660
Subtitled

This one-off documentary traces the history of air raids, from their earliest days at the start of the last century through to the end of the Second World War, when the effects of terror bombing had become all too plain in cities such as Hamburg and Dresden. The first town to be destroyed by bomber planes was Guernica in Spain, the event that inspired Picasso's masterpiece. Bombing from the air had begun in 1911 in colonial Libya, where an Italian pilot dropped bombs by hand. The potential for aerial bombers to wreck cities soon became clear, and much of the film is spent on the horrors of the Blitz and the "strategic bombing" campaigns of Arthur Harris.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SeaFireLIV
01-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Watching!

steiner562
01-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Excellent documentry,showing the Dresden firebombing at the moment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ashley2005
01-15-2005, 01:52 PM
doh !!!! only just seen this ...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif finishes in a bit as well http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

TROOPER117
01-15-2005, 02:03 PM
A very good documentary, just watched it. Thought provoking as well, mmmmm. Should we have killed thousands of german civilians in 1945 when the outcome of the war was already going to be won by the allies?
The debate will go on I'm sure. But in the words of one of the aircrew involved, "we didn't start it". Again, mmmm! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Waldo.Pepper
01-15-2005, 02:51 PM
It is hard to judge the moral qualities of the people who lived then. It was a different time.

At the risk of starting a "hot discussion" think for a moment what people 70 years hence will think of what we are condoning in our name these days.

SeaFireLIV
01-15-2005, 03:35 PM
It was good and informative, but it was sad the way the Russians got about 2 seconds worth of notice, especially considering it was all about fighters and bomber aircraft in WWII. You get the impression that the Russian airforce were barely a footnote in its effects against the Luftwaffe - This is what I used to think before IL2 actually got me reading books on the Eastern Front contribution. In fact, it`s true to say that without the Russian airwar (and ground war) in the East life would have been much harder for the Western Allies.

The IL2/FB simmers here probably know more about the whole overall air war effort from West and the East than these kind of programmes do to inform the ordinary person.

AWL_Spinner
01-16-2005, 04:39 AM
True enough SeaFireIV but what I get from these programmes are the commentary on the early years of aerial bombing.

In much the same way as for many of our American cousins WWII really started in 1942, for many Brits such as myself my prior education of WWII begins at Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain. My wartime education prior to that was woefully deficient.

Any material surrounding the development of Germany and Britain's aerial armadas in the 1930s, the Spanish Civil War, the Britzkrieg across Europe and the battle of France is, for me, fascinating. Thus the first part of the programme was very rewarding, for me anyways. As was seeing footage of the first bombers and the Gothas of the Great War.