PDA

View Full Version : is War Ace Easier on the RAM than GWX?

dauntlessdave
06-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I got off of SHIII for a while after finding that my rig was not up to running GWX (only 1 gig RAM) but I'm missing playing the game and dont want to go vanilla, after having a taste of GWX. GWX's problem was freezing up after 5-35 minutes of real time. My question is, is the War Ace mod easier to run with less RAM? And, if so, where can I find the latest version in a package that is easy-ish to install? Thanks in advance...

dauntlessdave
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Perhaps I should add that I'm also wondering if anyone can recommend another so-called "supermod" that will likely run well on a 1 gig rig if it is beleived that both GWX and War Ace will probably want more than 1 gig.

K_Freddie
06-04-2007, 01:14 PM
AFAIK there is a GWX-Lite version that only has a 0.5% alcohol level http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif - Nah, it's supposed to be easier on the graphics
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jaste07
06-04-2007, 01:15 PM
It might not be RAM thats causing you problems. I'm only running 1 gig of RAM, and i have SH3 1.4 with GWX, with no problems whatsoever.

What are your other specs, ie. video card and processor?

dauntlessdave
06-04-2007, 01:24 PM
processor is a P4 2.8, an upgrade from what the machine came with and the card is, I forget exactly (I'm at work) but I believe it is 256megs, it was $300 about 9 months ago. I got it to play Oblivion at medium settings. GWX seemed to run well but would freeze up completley (as in, I needed unplug the computer) within a half hour of gaming. I tried lowering the graphics options to near minimum.

dauntlessdave
06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
I checked for a "lite" version of GWX at this url, which appears to be the official site and did not see it. Any ideas on how to find the "lite" version. I am also still wondering if anyone knows if War Ace is easier on system requirements.

danurve
06-04-2007, 01:55 PM
War Ace ran ok on my machine with 1 gig, but what a difference with 2 gigs. It has a light version as well but something tells me the bottle neck is eleswhere. If you realy want to know you can use jsgme and install harbour traffic, it is somewhat demading on graphics as well but known to run well on 1 gig.

dauntlessdave
06-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Well, I'm pushing the age limit on my machine as the 1 gig and the P4 are both upgrades. I'm betting the bottleneck is on the mother board. In any case, I think what I'm going to try to do is run the lite version of WAC as I found that on tuddley's page. As for Harbor traffic, thats a nice environmental thing, but it is not nearly as important as all the other things that GWX and WAC appear to do. When you ran WAC, did you use the lite version? Also, what were your overall impressions of the mod?

silent_slum77
06-05-2007, 10:49 AM
What's the difference between War Ace and GWX?

danurve
06-05-2007, 11:52 AM
It would be near impossible to answer that question in one post.

They are both intense on the action, graphics and details. Deck gun useage in GWX concentrates on waterline shots, WAC does not. WAC scripting concentrates mostly on the battle of the atlantic & the med where GWX has more expanded patrol options. Jazz like that. GWX has an exe installation, WAC uses JSGME.

Rood-Zwart
06-05-2007, 02:01 PM
I have 1 gb ram also, and I run gwx 1.03 without real problems. Make sure you install the lite harbour mod though (It comes with GWX)