PDA

View Full Version : 109 radiator indication?

stevo33
02-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi all,

I'm flying with no hud in a BF-109 E, with no external views. And I can't find any in cockpit indication of my radiators position. am I just not looking properly? Or is there no way of knowing what my radiator is set to without my hud text messages?

Thanks

JG53Frankyboy
02-07-2008, 07:49 AM
as we dont get a lot of proper infos out of the cockpits - i dont think its a good idea to play this game without HUD information.

and no, there is no "sign" in the 109 cockpit that would show you what kind of radiator setting you have choosen.

polak5
02-07-2008, 07:35 PM
look out the window http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stevo33
02-08-2008, 12:34 AM
I cant see under the wings, can you just be specific for me, I am not very smart

gmot_ka
02-08-2008, 05:14 AM
stevo33, I think there is no indicator for the radiators position. So, you have to look at the radiators from outside view. So you have to allow outside views. The other possibility is to count how often you pressed the key for the radiator (R) and remember the position of your radiator. In the 109E you start with the radiator closed. You need 5 clickt at R to get them fully open. The next click they are closed again.

So I open them fully at the begining of the flight and can close them with one click when I need to.

My advice is to play some houres with hud messages on when you change a plane. So you can learn how to operate the radiator, how long you need till your engin overheats etc.

After that you can swicht the hud messages off and have a lot of fun (at least I have)

MOH_MADMAN
02-08-2008, 12:03 PM
id keep an eye on the thermostat

Dolemite-
02-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I play without hud text with engine overheat on, its much more immersive but of course can get troublesome with the radiator. The trick is to remember which aircraft have auto radiators and which don't.

For aircraft with out auto rads the default position for the radiator is closed, So the first time you press the radiator key you'll be opening up the rad to what we'll from now on call "position one", since we no longer see hud text which went by two's. So the keys go like this:

closed

Auto rad aircraft start in the "auto" position, the key pattern will be this:

Closed
Auto

As long as you can remember what kind of radiator your aircraft has and can keep up with how many times you've pressed the R key you shouldn't have a problem.

Treetop64
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

What he said.

Besides, the 109s were relatively automated when it came to the engine and radiator management. In practice the rads were automatically controlled by a thermostat, and in the F, G, and K models the pilot could actually see the position of the rads just by looking at the trailing edge of the wing root.

In fact, many aircraft didnt have a radiator position indicator specifically because the pilot could actually see the position of the rads themselves. Installing an indicator was considered redundant.